What to do if you are running low on (or out of) baclofen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Disclaimer: I am not a doctor or medical professional.

Now is a good time to give some general information on what to do if you are running low on baclofen, if you can no longer obtain baclofen from your regular supplier, or if you run out.

Why this is important:

Abruptly stopping baclofen, or stopping too rapidly, can cause withdrawal symptoms in any person that has been taking baclofen at any dose level for any length of time.

Severe withdrawal symptoms usually occur more frequently in people who have been taking higher doses for longer periods of time, but everyone's individual body chemistry is different and your experience may vary.

Titrating Down Safely (and comfortably):

It's been widely recommended that anyone who wants (or needs) to taper down or off baclofen do so by decreasing no more than 10mg/d per week. That means if you are taking 200mg/day, it's week one at 200mg, week two at 190mg, etc.

There are reports of people on MWO who have been able to taper down faster than that with little or no trouble. Once again everyone's individual experience will be different and it's better to err on the safe side and have enough spare medication to go at the pace your body needs to go.

It's my firm recommendation that *everyone* that makes the decision to use baclofen, whether it be by self-medicating with pills/liquid purchased online, or through a bona-fide physician, take whatever steps necessary to secure enough baclofen to always have on hand to titrate down safely and comfortably in the event of an emergency.

How much baclofen to always have at hand to taper down at 10mg/d per week:[/b]

Code:

daily dose in mg        total mg needed    # of 10mg pills
    10		        70                7
    20			210              21
    30			420              42
    40			700              70
    50			1050            105
    60			1470            147
    70			1960            196
    80			2520            252
    90			3150            315
    100			3850            385
    110			4620            462
    120			5460            546
    130			6370            637
    140			7350            735
    150			8400            840
    160			9520            952
    170		        10710          1071
    180			11970          1197
    190			13300          1130
    200		        14700          1470
    210			16170          1617
    220			17710          1771 
    230			19320          1932
    240		        21000          2100
    250			22750          2275
    260			24570          2457
    270			26460          2646
    280			28420          2842
    290			30450          3045
    To figure out how many pills you need, divide the total number of mg needed by the size in milligrams of the pills you have (10, 20, 25). If you have multiple pill sizes, just add all of the different amounts up to see if they equal the minimum mg to titrate down safely from a dosage. With liquid baclofen, total mg per bottle is mg per ml X # of ml in the bottle.

Total amounts for daily doses greater than 290mg/day can be calculated as follows:

For 400mg/day: (400X7)+(390X7)+(380X7)+etc all the way down to+(10X7)= a whole lotta milligrams and pills

Online Pharmacies

| medical and pharmaceutical articles at goldpharma
    www.riverpharmacy.ca

note: some online pharmacies have blocked access from specific countries in the past for legal reasons. Using a proxy or VPN is (has been) a way around this barrier.

Asking for help on a baclofen forum

You can ask online if anyone has some spare baclofen to borrow until you can stock up from another supplier:

Topamax, Campral, Naltrexone, Baclofen, other meds - My Way Out Forums (English)
    Baclofen for Alcoholism and Other Addictions - Baclofen for Alcoholism and Other Addictions (English)
    Baclofen Forum gegen Alkoholsucht (german)
    Baclofen Forum vs Alkoholismus • Foren-?œbersicht (german)
    Forum alcoolisme et autres addictions - Alcoolisme et baclof?ne :: Accueil (french)

Doctors that prescribe baclofen:
    https://www.mywayout.org/community/f2...ion-47247.html
    https://www.mywayout.org/community/f2...ors-78141.html

Your regular physician / Hospital Emergency Department

You may be able explain your situation (or at least "a" situation) to you regular doctor or a doctor in the ER/ED/A&E and have them give you a few days/week/month script of baclofen at 80mg/day (the "recommended maximum") to give you some time to find another source - a week at 80/d will give someone at 200/d another 2 1/2 days. Baclofen is *not* a controlled substance, and it's not associated with drug-seeking behavior. That said, you probably won't find too many sympathetic physicians out there and might earn yourself an earful of scolding.

Switching brands

To minimize side-effects when switching brands always taper in the new baclofen whilst simultaneously tapering out the old, like this: Week 1: 100% Brand A, Week 2: 75% Brand A + 25% Brand B, Week 3: 50% Brand A + 50% Brand B, Week 4: 5% Brand A + 75% Brand B, Week 5: 100% Brand B

It's been reported that switching between liquid and solid baclofen can cause marked side-effects, so be extra careful when tapering the pills.

Running Out

It's been reported in medical literature that people taking baclofen become susceptible to withdrawal symptoms upon abrupt cessation (or too rapid downward titration) after about 1-2 months at a dosage level. That said, each individual's body chemistry will affect that person's experience, but it's safe to say the the majority of people who stop baclofen abruptly after taking any dose for more than a month or two will experience withdrawal symptoms.

As compared to alcohol or benzodiazepine withdrawal which can set in within 12-24 hours of cessation, onset of baclofen withdrawal can take from 1-4 days after the last dose. And unlike alcohol or benzo withdrawal which can be remedied quickly with a few doses of equivalent medication, resolution of baclofen withdrawal requires reinstitution of baclofen (with possibly additional medications) and may take 48 to 72 hours. [/b]

Acute baclofen withdrawal, especially from high dose, is a medical emergency. If you are experiencing it go immediately to your nearest ER, ED, A&E, and enlist the care of medical professionals.

It would not hurt to print out this journal article to have with you to give to the doctor:

[img]http://i.imgur.com/LEgIIQc.jpg[img]

Last edited by terryk; November 6, 2017, 07:40 AM.
    TerryK celebrates 6 years of sobriety and indifference to alcohol thanks to baclofen

I was dreading this, but this post is so important. In light of many of us facing the fact that liquid Bac may not be a viable option for us in the future. I had this very conversation with Lo0p 2 months ago.

I titrated off Bac about a month ago and I went into a full blown depressive episode. I'm prone to depression, so I wasn't suprised. I was still drinking, and thought why bother. Little did I know that Bac
    1. Helped me sleep in low doses
    2. Decreased my anxiety(social and non) by 90 percent
    3. Worked better for my depression than any SSRI

So I take Bac at 90mg a day, and live a full life. I'm afraid, really afraid, to go back to pill form. I hated the side effects, and although pills are easy, they suck. I take the liquid 3 times a day and have a glass of wine, or not if I want to.

Sorry for the Debbie downer post. I'd call Evan but I can't.a:upset:

Comment

That is some fantastic info you have put together Terry.
      Thanks so much!

Comment

Thanks so much for this information!

Comment

Merry Christmas, tk. Thanks for taking the time to post all this info. You gave me a bit of a wake up. While it's been in the back of my mind, and I'm not nearly in as dire of a situation as I'll bet some others are, I still need to get a plan. I take enough liquid bac that if I were to try to take that with pills, I'd be in a catatonic state. I don't tolerate the pills even close to how I do the liquid. I'm working out on a calendar how I'm going down. It's going to take a while. My biggest challenge will be adding the pills in while I go down, and trying to balance that to keep SEs at the most minimum they can be. That part will get complicated.

I'm really going to miss the liquid.

Thanks again for your time. You're precious.
          This Princess Saved Herself

Comment

Thanks TK,

I was obviously not happy last night. Thanks for the article.

I will have to cross over to the "dark side" of pills vs liquid. We all will, those of us who ventured out of the norm. I wonder if the online pharmacies will see an increase in sales!!

Happy Holidays everyone.:h:h:h

Comment

I want to mention one other thing before I finish wrapping, and getting Christmas ready for my 3 lovelies. I have tapered quickly twice. Both times I suffered severe anxiety. But the second time, I came down by 60mg at once (I was taking more and for much longer by then), and within about a week (give or take), I suffered with the most severe anxiety that I have ever known. It was crippling. It was so bad, I almost had to seek help. I almost couldn't cope with it on my own. That says a lot, I'm very private about my HDB. I work in the medical profession, so I really wouldn't want to be seen for a psychiatric emergency (if I'd known to avoid it).

Just food for thought for people out there. We are all different, and the way we react could partially be related to how long we've been on it and other factors.

And with that, I might need to be quiet again. Unfortunately this place is no longer anonymous for me. I'll pipe in here and there, but I'm never certain who is watching or reading this forum. In fact, this might disappear later. Although, I'm sure anyone who would care would be busy with the holidays.

Comment

I deleted my last response. Our friend is out on the loose tonight. Hi there, Is there any hope! Are you all alone for the holidays?

Comment

I'm truly sorry if you are. :l

Comment

Back to wrapping and getting Christmas ready for my 3 lovelies. You take good care, Is there any hope. I know there is hope. I wish you knew it too.

Comment

Happy holidays Redhead🌲🌲🌲 love to everyone on this thread. Hugs and light to the Picard family. Evan, I want a sign from you tomorrow! Tell Santa I want Hershey's kisses.

Mary Ann

Comment

Samandkatharine;1602742 wrote: Hugs and light to the Picard family. Evan, I want a sign from you tomorrow! Tell Santa I want Hershey's kisses.

Mary Ann
                        Me too!

Comment

Apparently my kids must have told Santa they want Hershey's kisses-as Santa is currently filling their stockings with them.

Comment

Terry, as usual, you are a saint. It's people like you that make me love these forums.

And people like redhead! Hi there, lady! Miss you!

Hope everyone had a wonderful holiday.

Down to business. I think I'm going to go with goldpharma. But I'd like some options. Unitedpharmacies has a good price. But I believe they only accept international wire transfers for payment. My bank said they do this, for around $36. Is this more safe or less safe than a credit card? Will my bank question me, or, I don't know, report me for suspicious activity?

Also, does anyone have experience taking bac for actual muscle spasms? Before I started bac, I experienced extremely painful muscle spasms in my pelvic floor. Excruciatingly painful. And the bac took them away. A miracle, right? But before bac, I got the spasms at best, every 6 months. At worst, once a week. Now if I miss a dose of bac by as little as 20 minutes, a spasm comes on. I want to go down on bac. I'm taking twice as much as I was when I quit drinking. But these spasms scare me more than anything. More than the prospect of going crazy, more than the desire to drink returning.
                            There's not really any other treatments for the spasms. Not that I have insurance if there were. The other treatments consist of "internal massage" with a wand. Gulp. Or botox shots directly into the muscle.
                            Anyhow...I'm scared. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Much hugs and love to all!!!
                            "Yet someday this will have an end
                            All choices made or choice resigned,
                            And in your face the literal eye
                            Trace little of your history,
                            Nor ever piece the tale entire
                            Of villages that had to burn
                            And playgrounds of the will destroyed
                            Before you could be safe from time
                            And gather in your brow and air
                            The stillness of antiquity."

From "At Majority" by Adrienne Rich

Comment

WINDY!!!!! OMG, Hi!.

Er, sorry, I just got really excited for a sec when I saw your name pop up. Anyway I used Goldpharma and thought they were great, and reasonably priced. They also have a liquid solution, but it's really expensive and I believe it might be for IV instead of oral dosing - I have NO idea but just wanted to mention it, to say that I know nothing about it.

But the pills - I always ordered the 25mg - seemed fine and cheap and arrived pretty quickly. And any credit card except Discover.

Comment

Working...
                              X