An 'almost alcoholic'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

An 'almost alcoholic'

Happy new year everyone. I thought this was a good read.

BBC News - Should there be a word for an 'almost alcoholic'?
    sigpic
    AF since December 22nd 2008
    Real change is difficult, and slow, and messy - Oliver Burkeman

An 'almost alcoholic'

happy new year to you too marshy. an interesting read indeed. i fought against the term 'alcoholic' for a long time and i think it was only when i accepted the word that i could start do something about it. i think my chosen term would be 'problem drinker'.
    Today is the tomorrow i worried about yesterday and it turned out fine
    Keep passing the open windows

Comment

An 'almost alcoholic'

Completely agree spuddle, I had pondered a lot and reached a conclusion that I was never an alcoholic, just an abuser or a "problem drinker"....so apt

Vy

Comment

An 'almost alcoholic'

I too hated the word "alcoholic". I never got a dui, have a great job and make very good money, have money and great credit so I am certainly not a street dwelling, drunk driving, unemployed loser alcoholic, right? WRONG!

Whatever you want to call it, it is what it is. I can't drink alcohol, period. If alcohol causes problems in our lives (and obviously it does or we would not have found this site), then we are alcoholics. Yes there are different stages, I was labeled a stage 4 (out of 5) from my therapist, but once we have problems with alcohol it is what it is. Once I got over the label and got honest with myself I finally was able to take the steps to get sober.

I think I couldn't accept the label because I couldn't accept my problem. Just my 2 cents.
        AL free since March 17th 2011...loving this life. No drinking no matter what.

Hi my name is Lori and i am so happy to be here.

Comment

An 'almost alcoholic'

I still don't really identify with the term alcoholic, but I don't drink because it can cause problems for me.
          My life is better without alcohol, since 9/1/12. My sobriety tool is the list at permalink 236 on the toolbox thread under monthly abstinance.

Comment

An 'almost alcoholic'

Marshy;1609850 wrote: Happy new year everyone. I thought this was a good read.

BBC News - Should there be a word for an 'almost alcoholic'?
            Thanks, Marshy. I followed links in the article and ended up here: Almost Alcoholic: Is My (or My Loved One's) Drinking a Problem? (The Almost Effect): Ph.D. Joseph Nowinski PhD, M.D. Robert Doyle MD: 9781616491598: Amazon.com: Books
            It looks like such a logical approach to the problem.

Comment

An 'almost alcoholic'

I think many of these terms are semantics that the experts like to debate and research over. Its also goes back to the big debates over whether its a 'disease' or not. Same with many other mental health issues.

What matters ultimately is how we see ourselves. If recognising that we have a serious problem with AL does not come until we call ourselves alcoholics - then so be it. We can't get away from the reality that it is a negative word in almost all cultures today. Some people may be trying to reclaim it - and get it out there so its not cursed with negativity. Some of us find it too much of a generalization - it defines what we are to the exclusion of all the other things we do.
              Just the rambling thoughts of an old alkie!

Comment

An 'almost alcoholic'

I was an almost alcoholic. It fits me. I was looking forward to drinking even though I knew I would be sick the next day. I would usually drink at a bar or at home alone. I continued to drink even though I knew I would be sick the next day, but at the time I didn't care. I just wanted to have "fun". I looked forward to getting wasted and having AL. There were times when I drank because I let my immature brother get to me or to get away from a hard time for a little while. Glad I quit while I was ahead. Sure I still go out, but I have fun and I am not sick the next day. My mom was getting concerned for me and my drinking. So I know I was putting stress and worry on her. She was and still is proud of me when I sent her a fb message telling her I was going to quit drinking. Once I told people that I was going to quit, and quit drinking, they have totally accepted me still even though I no longer drink. I am fortunate that way. It made it easier for me that is for sure that I let everyone know that I have quit drinking.
                I quit drinking on March 8, 2020. Taking it One Day At A Time and no more taking my quit for granted.

Also doing it for me. I got to stay sober for me.

Just consecrate on today and do what you can to remain sober for today and worry about staying sober tomorrow, tomorrow.

Comment

Working...
                X