Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

April AA Thread

Hi Everyone:

I hope all is well. This thread has lost a bit of steam. I hope it's because we're all busy staying sober & going to meetings. I've taken on a sponsee & like it. We're working on step 1, & I'm doing the assignments along w/her. It's been beneficial, & I don't know why I've waited so long to do this. Lack of confidence I guess.

I've had a few personal, relationship challenges lately. I've faced up to them, thought out the right actions, & all has worked out. These were just the kinds of things I avoided & ran away from through alcoholism.

I also had to make an amends to a neighbor recently. I made a snarky remark at a dinner party & was full of judgment about another neighbor who wasn't present. It wasn't my best moment, proving that I don't need alcohol to act like a jerk once in a while.

The great thing about amends is that it "clears the deck." I don't have any residual feelings floating around in my head. What a miracle the steps are!

Mary
    Wisdom, Courage, Strength
    October 3, 2012

April AA Thread

My name is Sol, and I am a grateful alcoholic.

Every time I move away from my programme (disconnect from my HP, don't practice our principles) I become restless, irritable and discontent.

If I wallow in those feelings long enough, I will pick up again.

And that would lead to pitiful and incomprehensible demoralization.

APRIL 5th

TRUE BROTHERHOOD

We have not once sought to be one in a family, to be a friend among friends, to be a worker among work- ers, to be a useful member of society. Always we tried to struggle to the top of the heap, or to hide under- neath it. This self-centered behavior blocked a part- nership relation with any one of those about us. Of true brotherhood we had small comprehension.

TWELVE STEPS AND TWELVE TRADITIONS, p. 53

This message contained in Step Four was the first one I heard loud and clear; I hadn't seen myself in print before! Prior to my coming into A.A., I knew of no place that could teach me how to become a person among persons. From my very first meeting, I saw people doing just that and I wanted what they had. One of the reasons that I'm a happy, sober alcoholic today is that I'm learning this most important lesson.

From the book Daily Reflections
    ? Copyright 1990 by Alcoholics Anonymous World Services, Inc.

I am off to BB meeting at 9am, then I see my sponsor...

From 2 to 7pm we celebrate the 3rd birthday of the rehab my son went to:
    "Inmates" (their word not mine), will put on a show for us, 2 meetings and eats.
    Sounds like fellowship to me, JUST what the doctor ordered!

Hugs from Africa!
    Sol xxx

Comment

April AA Thread

Sol: I've read that passage many times. Just recently, someone quoted those exact words at a meeting. I think they resonate w/all alcoholics. I cannot stray too far from meetings either. When I do my spirituality goes away. AA & my spirituality are intertwined. I cannot maintain it wo/my meetings.

I've been finding working w/a sponsee rejuvenating to my program. I do the assignments along w/her which allows me to take step 1 again & again. I recommend it to anyone who has at least a year of sobriety. I only committed to steps 1, 2, & 3. That works for us. After that, we'll see.

News of your son, Sol, is so gratifying. I can appreciate the dark humor of calling themselves "inmates." Have fun. I know there will be a lot of laughs. Mary
      October 3, 2012

Comment

April AA Thread

Just got back from a women's meeting at which the topic was fear. I related to everything everyone said. Fear was the fuel that drove my drinking. Now, as I recognize & work through my fears, I feel their power diminish.
        October 3, 2012

Comment

April AA Thread

Hi Ret,

Seems it is you and I for now!

Thought I'd share with you:
          There are many things going on for me right now, and most of it is challenging.
          Somehow, being in the programme, keeps me sane?
          I have not been "thirsty" at all, that obsession has been lifted...

A new sponsee is a psychologist: she is amazed! Step 4 is such an eye-opener for her!!!
          And working with her has put me in a state of gratitude once again...

I went to an odd (for me) meeting last night:
          It has become a certain person's meeting, and that is not healthy. But, I didn't go home empty-handed...

A newcomer mentioned other meetings. I told him, if you get Chinese take aways for the 1st time, and your food is bad, that doesn't mean ALL Chinese food is bad... So, shop around?
          The same with a sponsor!
          I moved away from my 1st sponsor after 3 months, and I get on so well with my current one!
          Shop around! Choose someone who's got what you want, and it doesn't have to be 100000 years of sobriety....

An old-timer, American chap, has been sober for 43 years:
          For the 1st 21 he did the waltz: Steps 1,2,3...
          And he was miserable!!!!
          He then got a sponsor with "only" 1 year of sobriety to take him through the steps....
          The rest is history!

My healing comes through working my programme!
          Yes, meeting are fun, service (of which I do a LOT) is great!
          BUT!
          This is a 12 Step programme... Bottom line.

Lots of love from Africa!

Sol xxx

Comment

April AA Thread

Sol: For me, there is so much more to the program than just attending meetings. The steps are the foundation. I am currently going through the steps w/my sponsee. We're actually working step 1, taking it slowly, & really doing a thorough job. It's broken through my denial about myself as an alcoholic. I was so functional & hid it so well, I could easily convince myself that I might not really be an alcoholic...which would open me up to the first drink. So, I must look at all my unmanageability in order to see the truth of my disease. Yes, this is a 12 step program. I don't get to rest after I've done it once. It's a lifetime project. Otherwise, I could easily relapse. I've gone that route & never want to go there again.

Many thanks for your contribution to this thread. I don't go to other threads very much. I'd hate to see this one die out.

Mary
            October 3, 2012

Comment

April AA Thread

What does it take to start an AA meeting?

2 Drunks and a pot of coffee

Our meeting last night was on Step 11, meditation and all. Loved it!

6:30 (am) here, my sponsee should be here any time now.
              She is a psychologist (not sure if I mentioned her), in the rooms for 3 years, but resisted doing Step 4... So!!! A happy waltz (1,2,3) for her, and countless drunken sprees... We are FLYING through Step 4 now! She surrendered. What an honour to work with people!

Have a lovely weekend!

Sol xxx

Comment

April AA Thread

I've heard that about starting an AA meeting.

How interesting that your sponsee is a psychologist...thereby proving that all the education & training in the world won't keep us sober. AA is not group therapy. It's a fellowship, & while it might seem similar, it isn't the same.

Take care...thank you so much for sharing your experience, strength, & hope. Mary
                October 3, 2012

Comment

April AA Thread

I thought I'd bump this up to the top of the heap in hopes someone might chime in. One of my friends received his 3 year medallion last night. He's a great guy & has transformed in the 3 years in program. In addition to being sober, he lost 100 pounds & regained his mobility. He no longer walks w/a cane & works out every day. It's amazing what sobriety & the fellowship can do. He's a walking example.

I'm so happy to be sober. I had to babysit my g-kids on Saturday...during the day. My daughter & SIL were having a party that night. I saw all the "supplies" they had laid in...special beers & of course, food. I didn't feel the least bit of longing for any of that. I was happy to go to a meeting Sat. night & go to bed early. I like parties, but I don't have to drink to have fun anymore. It feels good.

Mary
                  October 3, 2012

Comment

April AA Thread

Tuesday evening for me, and I am packing for the week-end:
                    5 of us are traveling 8 hours to go to our annual convention! So excited!!
                    Here is the link if you are curious
                    National Convention

I can not wait to get away! The convention is Friday to Saturday, but we stay at the coast for another few days...

So, I will only be back here before the end of April.

Be safe, stay sober, be loved!

Sol xxx

Comment

April AA Thread

hello!
                      sorry, I kind of forgot about mwo!

been to a few good meetings lately. I got a 1 year coin from a woman who got it from a guy on her first anniversary. she hadn't seen me in 6 months, so I just got it at 18 months...very nice.

I also had a nice experience with my sponsor and her husband. our sprinkler system is wonky and I don't use it, but it sprung a leak one day. I asked of they knew anyone who could fix it, and they came over promptly and did it for me! very cool to have such nice folks in life who are willing to help. it is very hard for me to ask for help, and they know it, so they just did it :h

I had a strange experience after a meeting the other night that has made me weary of my favorite meeting. a guy whos been in the rooms for years came up to me after the meeting and asked me point blank what my religion was...I always heard that was a rude thing ot ask people, especially in such a forward way. I didn't lie and told him I am an atheist and he said, oh ok, I noticed you don't say the lords prayer, so I was wondering. it felt like he was taking my inventory, and it bothered me. luckily I have ways to deal with those annoying feelings that things like that can bring up, and I haven't let it get to me (too much .

anyway, just thought id say hello.

im on day 557...just ran 5 miles, and I am feeling good! I can relate to your friend who lost 100 lbs, mary. ive lost 45 (50 originally, but gained some over the winter
                      i never could take weight off, let alone maintain a weight loss when i was drunk!

peace
                      10-06-2012

Comment

April AA Thread

Betty: That was a weird experience. I've certainly seen people not participate in the "Our Father" for a number of reasons. I can't imagine walking up to one of them & asking what her/his religion is. People may be sober/abstinent, but it doesn't mean they won't say or do dumb things every now & then. Mary
                        October 3, 2012

Comment

April AA Thread

I think I'm going to pack it in for this thread. If there is an interest, I'm sure someone will revive it. I don't get around the MWO site the way I used to. I find in-person support more helpful. If there were participants for this thread, I would certainly would check in every day, but it seems it's run its course. Mary
                          October 3, 2012

Comment

Working...
                          X