New moderater

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New moderater

Hello, I've moved out of the newbies nest after 4 months of AF to try moderating. Over the past few years I've recognised how addictive wine o clock time can be and have been able to keep my alcohol consumption down, enjoying the times now when I'm not waking in the night thirsty and feeling crap in the mornings.
    I've never used this site to moderate, just to have time AF as I thought I'd get shunned for drinking any alcohol again but I want to get totally in control and use this site to keep myself on track (this site has been really helpful for me).

I know its easy to go back to old patterns and that change needs sustainment, so whilst AF I've decided there are some old habits I'll never go back to such as drinking in the house watching television with my partner. I no longer have the desire to do this as its so much better not putting myself through the guilt of falling asleep half way through a film, eating everything in the house etc!
    I have just started to have 1-2 glasses of white wine with a meal when we go out and have not had the desire to have more and will continue to do this, changing the relationship I have with alcohol from drinking in the house almost sub consciously, to having it as part of a meal only.
    Has anyone else managed to change the way they drink alcohol successfully and long term? if so, have you any tips for me?
    AF since 8.8.14

New moderater

Hi Winterwalk!
    I rarely post nowadays but I felt I had to let you know that for me, at least, moderation has been effective, and I was able to successfully reverse my fatty liver by changing my drinking habits. You can look up my previous posts to find out the particulars of my case. A lot seems to depend on a person's "off" switch! Since alcohol is viewed as a good thing by popular culture, I find that constant vigilance is required to NOT slide back into previous bad habits. And, ice cream REALLY is better than booze! Good luck with finding what is right for you. Ffp
    . "It is only with the heart that one can see clearly; that which is essential, is invisible to the eye.". Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Comment

New moderater

Hi Winterwalk and welcome to the Mods threads. The Long Term Moderators thread is more active than this one. Hop on over.

Ffp - how great to "see" you. Have often wondered about you. I remember the trip in search for nonalcoholic wine because of your posting. Sounds like things are going very well for you. We miss you, and wish you would check in more often. Do you ever hear from Dancing Girl?

TMH
      The pain of discipline is less than the pain of regret.

Comment

New moderater

Thanks both of you, its good to hear someone has been able to moderate, I know its not always very successful and is often frowned upon. Its been a long path to get where I am now and I've changed my whole attitude to alcohol and my lifestyle too. I haven't found it difficult to abstain and over the past month have been able to go for out for meals and on 2 occasions had 2 glasses of wine and the rest I haven't had any, but I know what you mean about being able to stop, I do enjoy ice cream and other sweets more than alcohol! and know I will always have to be conscious about it.

I think my no drinking in the house is key for me, that's where my downfall was, never going out because I've always been the driver (I had the wine when we went away for my birthday weekend).

Thanks for replying, is there anywhere on this site where you can track moderating like you can on the newbie nest site? I think it'd be useful to keep a track like I did when I abstained.
        AF since 8.8.14

Comment

New moderater

Two ways I could see to do that. You could start a Moderators Roll Call in the Long Term Moderators thread, which I think is a wonderful idea. I participated in the NN one but only went 3 or 4 days as I do drink. Or you could use DrinkTracker, and when you put # of drinks in on any given day, use "green" for moderation. That would include "0" drinks. Scroll way down on front page to find DrinkTracker.

TMH
          The pain of discipline is less than the pain of regret.

Comment

New moderater

Thanks for the ideas, I'll have a look at the drink tracker and could start a similar thread on here?
            It was my birthday yesterday and instead of celebrating with a bottle of wine indoors I went to the cinema with my daughter, even though I've decided to moderate now I didn't go for a meal or a drink/wine out which I'm allowing myself to do, so I'm pretty positive about how I'm feeling towards drinking, its no longer the first thing I think about when I want to celebrate, de-stress or enjoy the company of others.
            I know it doesn't work for everyone, I'm really glad I found this site, I know alcohol has a nasty habit of sneaking back up on you so I'm keeping my eyes wide open and will stay close to keep me on track.
            Thanks everyone
            AF since 8.8.14

Comment

New moderater

Hey, Winterwalk, and welcome!
              I want to second TMH's idea that you come over to the Longterm Moderators' forum. There are many of us there who never check the Monthly Moderators' threads... in fact I only found you because I had a bit of extra time on my hands. Come on down!

Comment

New moderater

Thanks nonamegirl, I'll have a look now, and thanks everyone for making me feel welcome x
                AF since 8.8.14

Comment

Working...
                X