Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone in the First Week of Their Unpteenth Quit?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I need companionship and accountability and although the Newbie's Nest is inviting, accepting and compassionate, I need additional camaraderie with those who, like me, are not Newbies in the sense that we've done the stop start thing many times.

If you are a few days in, sick of the same old song and dance and really going to give it a go, then please join me as we try to do things differently this time. Obviously what we've been doing in the past hasn't been working.

I am a 56 year old woman and a wine drinker who constantly convinces myself I can moderate. I usually succeed for a while and then, like last night, I get drunk to the point of causing myself that 3:00 a.m. horrible wake up call where I feel my heart trembling and emotional remorse, etc. I don't hurt anyone or cause a scene but I get sloppy; you know the story...

I probably have the record here of the most AF starts and restarts. It is reassuring to know that AF Champs like Byrdie admit to having many also. But the madness must stop.

One thing that has changed is that I now admit that I do have past life experiences that warrant me wanting to escape into a bottle to hide from. This is big for me because, until recently, I have painted my past with a rose coloured brush, never admitting I use alcohol to escape.

Please hop on board and join me with daily posts about how you are doing and we will encourage each other.

Life has too much promise to mute the joy with booze. I WILL not change my signature line. April is the month I achieve sobriety. Period.
    "If you do not change direction, you may end up where you are heading."
    Lao-Tzu

I just learned how to download a PODCAST into my Android phone and will be listening to "The Bubble Hour" when I am feeling the cravings and when I am exercising. It's a start.
    Lao-Tzu

Comment

Hi SoberSoul,
      Acceptance of what happens in our past is huge. But letting it go is hard to do. It's great that you keep coming back to fight this beast. The Bubble Hour is great at any time, not just when you have cravings. John Kelly was the latest one I listened to. Excellent resource. Do you have a plan so that you don't succumb to the cravings? I know you have lots of interests, so it would be easy for you to line those up for yourself.
      Sometimes what you're most afraid of doing is the very thing that will set you free.

Comment

Sober Soul ~ ME ME ME! I am not a "newbie" in the sense of just finding this sight ( check out my join date! :blush But I cannot tell you how many "day 1s" or "first AF weeks" I have had... And I am TIRED of it! I am DONE! I can't take this anymore... My body is starting to ache and I know that I am killing myself physically, spiritually and emotionally...I don't want AL to be the center of my life anymore... I read on another thread where someone called it a "substance in a glass"... That is SO true... I am wasting so many wonderful days on glasses of liquid! I am ready to fill that glass with something that is healthy - and that benefits me and the people I love...

Coincidentally enough, as I was reading your post I just started to listen the Bubble Hour for the first time ever... (weird, I know! it's like your post was addressed to me!) I would like to do this together... Let's make it different this time... I want to be a Byrdlady, Doggygirl, Lavande, K9 Lover, J-vo...and the list goes on... I want what they have! And this time something just feels different....Like I've had some epiphany... I just never want that hangover, early morning wake-up with my heart gnawing feeling, guilt consuming, regret filled morning... Ever. Again...
        God gives his toughest battles to his strongest soldiers...

Comment

Hey Sober Soul-

Let me climb in the boat... As you know I have been around with my shit ton of stop and starts.

I have been abstinent since Monday and would like to get thru a couple AT LEAST of AF.

Comment

Me too, SoberSoul. I'm 45 and I've been trying to quit since my early 20's. Usually it lasts at least a week or two. Sometimes months, especially since I've had pregnancies in there. A couple times it lasted a year. But here I am on day 4 once again. But if I hadn't done all those quits, where would I be today? Worse off than I am, for sure. Every day af is a gift.

I'm trying to learn more now about nutrition and mental dynamics so I hope I will catch on better now.

Comment

I'm on board with you guys too! I am a chronic relapse & drank again last night. Day 1 today again. Just took some aspirin & drinking water to feel better. Thanks for letting me know about The Bubble Hour.
              :l:rays:

Comment

Hi everyone - count me in. Like all of you, I've been here forever and had numerous quits. My longest was last year for 3 months and I felt fantastic - got complacent and here I am back at Day 2!

Determined to do better this time!!
                Never put off to tomorrow what you can achieve today!

Comment

I am so PROUD of ALL OF YOU!!! That's the spirit! Do NOT give up. It's not easy, and I completely understand. I was a chronic relapser. I wish I had a dollar for every time I said "never again". It will stick if you just keep at it. Remember the TRUTH about alcohol, not the romantic version they sell on TV. Remember the 3am brick of anxiety sitting on your chest. Remember the stupid, embarrasing things you did drunk that you'd never do sober. You NEVER have to feel that way again. Keep at it! :l
                  :heart:I love my daughter more than alcohol:heart:

Believe in yourself. You are stronger than you think.

Comment

Me too.

Comment

Hi SS - no longer in my first week, but can so understand the umpteenth quit - I am so hoping, and hanging on to, that this might just be my last quit - would love to join in, even though I don't fit the qualifications!:H
                      “The only courage you will ever need is the courage to live the life you want"

Comment

Thanks K9! Also, love your haircut!
                        :l:rays:

Comment

scottish lass;1653377 wrote: Hi SS - no longer in my first week, but can so understand the umpteenth quit - I am so hoping, and hanging on to, that this might just be my last quit - would love to join in, even though I don't fit the qualifications!:H
                          Yes, yes, yes,... you know you are welcome. I just want it to be those of us who are fed up with ourselves teetering back and forth between resolve and moderation.

:h:h:h
                          Lao-Tzu

Comment

Well we've got the beginnings of our little sober crew. I know it's early but imagine what a summer we'll have and we'll remember it all!!

I will be coming here more than daily to check in and be accountable to you all. Let's face it, we've all tried to believe that we can moderate. We've all thought we were doing great moderating but as we all know, we either get shit-faced one night or have a gradual increase in amount and/or frequency that we inevitably end up hiding for a while, then coming back here with our tail between our legs.

I have lots of exciting stuff happening in my life to be joyful and sober for. We are so lucky to have the mentors around and the tools we need in the toolbox.

Don't hesitate to PM me if you need some one on one. I am great at giving advice but not so great at following my own.

Have a sober Friday, everyone. I will be going to my sister's hotel room (she is visiting from out of town for my daughter's baby shower) and swimming in her hotel pool dead sober!!
                            Lao-Tzu

Comment

Sober Soul ~ although it may be early to be thinking of summer - I think it's a great idea to imagine & look forward to all the good days ahead!

I have had my tail between my legs way too many times, and very often avoid MWO after a relapse because I am so humiliated... I, too, am willing to PM with anyone who may need to talk... I have found in the past that some of my best help on this sight came through in a personal PM....And I get excited when I see that little envelope "blinking" when I log on

Have a great weekend everyone! Stay strong and check in on our thread... I am excited to take this journey & make some new friends who understand exactly where I am ... :l
                              God gives his toughest battles to his strongest soldiers...

Comment

Working...
                              X