Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Exercising my way to sobriety

:new:
    One of the main reasons I decided recently to start taking Disulfiram was to quit drinking long enough to get myself in serious shape.

I love going to the gym, and work out hard when I'm there, but never seem to gain the results one would expect to get from it - namely a gut that just won't go away, and a general "puffiness" of the skin. My husband, who's a "normal" drinker (lucky bastard!), enlightened me to the fact that I'm actually negating all my hard work in the gym by drinking a ton afterwards. Common sense, right?

Sure enough - 6 days sober and my perma-gut and puffiness has disappeared! Not only that, I magically have more energy and stamina for my work-outs.

I was at the gym yesterday (Saturday morning), and talked to at least 4 ppl who complained to me of being hungover. I did a happy dance in my head then, feeling so grateful to not be in the same boat as them.

Let's see what results I get after a whole month of this!:fingers:
    AF since May 12th, 2014

Nice job freeby40. How are your workouts going?

I am using exercise as both a tool and a motivator. As a tool, it is helping me get healthier and sweat the toxins out of my body. It also motivates me not to drink, partly because I love to work out and want to feel well enough to do so, and partly because I don't want to do all that hard physical work and then just negate it by drinking (just like you said).
    Everything you want is on the other side of fear.

Comment

Freeby and Wagmore, I love that I can now exercise more easily - like you Freeby, I always kept at it but so much better without the booze. Getting at least 6 sessions a week, mixing gym, cycle and swimming.
      I feel great after a workout, especially swimming.....already getting a better shape - the weight will gradually come off as the muscles build......
      IT'S NEVER TOO LATE TO BE WHAT YOU MIGHT HAVE BEEN
      Relapse starts long before the drink is drunk!!.Fresh Start!

Comment

Working...
      X