The Joys of Moderating

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Joys of Moderating

So, I am hoping we moderators will jump in and post the odd thought now and then about what makes it lovely to be able to not go over-board when we choose to imbibe, and also what makes it wonderful to choose to not drink at all on most days. Since this is a life-style one chooses, we should celebrate it!

I'll start us off with a couple ideas.

The Joys of Moderating

An AF evening

Last night I thought about a previous student I care deeply about, and was able to pick up the phone and call her mother, knowing that there would be no sound of alcohol in my voice. There have been times in the past when I would think "I'll make that call in the morning," and then of course, I'd forget.

Comment

The Joys of Moderating

A Lovely Wedding

At my nephew's wedding, it was a relief and a joy to have ONE vodka tonic, and leave the rest. Even though I wouldn't be the driver on the way home, so I knew I could have had more if I had wanted, I enjoyed sipping the one, but didn't need more.

Comment

The Joys of Moderating

It's really harm reduction, and not using alcohol to escape, but just something to enjoy on occasion. Not to get drunk, not to act stupid, not to be inebriated, not to be over the legal limit ever.

It's not drinking in the morning, in the middle of the day, after work, before work, etc,

On occasion to have something like a grappa, or a decent glass of wine is just fine. Overdoing it, is pointless.

Informationally, this opinion is by far in the tiny minority of people on MWO. Even on the moderation management website, all that's talked about in general is abstaining, and then deciding to abstain some more, and did I mention abstaining? Addiction experts say with certainty that moderation is impossible.

It has not been impossible for me, and I don't have the burden of labeling myself as a problem drinker for the dreaded A word.

If I have a piece of chocolate cake, I don't immediately go to the cake store, buy more chocolate cake, and eat lots of cake morning noon and night every day.

"It's about achieving healthy goals that will work for you... It goes far beyond "getting to drink" - it's about mastery of self-control and sovereignty over oneself. " (Sorry, I borrowed that quote.)

NNG, ?

Comment

The Joys of Moderating

I forgot to mention, that i'm much happier now with nondrinking days, and I don't do any real drinking as a drinking day, just something that accompanies a meal etc. drinking for its own sake was never a good reward, and never good, I think that gets forgotten.

Comment

The Joys of Moderating

Great reasons and ways to moderate NNG and guapo....i get it do it but not quite to perfection as you describe guapo...work in progress still i guess.
            Psalms 119:45

?Start by doing what is necessary, then what is possible, and suddenly you are doing the impossible.?

St. Francis of Assisi

I'm not perfect, never will be, but better than I was and not as good as I'm going to be.

:rays:

Comment

The Joys of Moderating

Well for the sake of honesty, I was informed I must tell all of you that I take naltrexone if I'm going to drink anything. This is perceived by some as deluding myself into thinking that a medication can solve my problem. Well it has helped me to drink less than 5% of what I used to drink consistently, for over six months.

Naltrexone is been a great help in reducing intake, to almost nothing. I'm very happy about that. That being said though, many other coping strategies including counseling, have helped far more.

Perhaps changing thinking of alcohol as being the most important thing in everyday living, to something that's really not important, was the key factor in all of this.

I was offered the option of inpatient rehab and forced abstention, etc. What I am doing now works, I believe in it, and to me it is far preferable. Besides at this point, most of the time I prefer not to drink anyway, so isn't that the best result? Why am Even trying to defend any of this?

Hopefully I won't get attacked mercilessly on this thread for daring to to mention or believe this. It is a moderation thread, so I'll talk about moderation.

Comment

The Joys of Moderating

live and let live

One of the joys of moderating is knowing that there is not one thing in this beautiful ol' world that works for every one. What is true for me may not be true for you - (and you know what? what is true for you may not be true for everyone in the world, either.) If you choose to take my words from here and talk about me on other boards, it doesn't hurt me. I live my life just fine. I choose to stay with the Moderators because I have felt nothing but welcomed here, which is not true on the other boards.

Comment

The Joys of Moderating

I'm flying up to Aberdeen for my nephews wedding with my Kilt and all and I'm looking forward to remembering everything without those awful hangovers that make you depressed.

Don't know if I can stick to one drink but just a few.
                  It's not what you drink, it's how much!

Comment

The Joys of Moderating

nonamegirl;1693696 wrote: One of the joys of moderating is knowing that there is not one thing in this beautiful ol' world that works for every one. What is true for me may not be true for you - (and you know what? what is true for you may not be true for everyone in the world, either.) If you choose to take my words from here and talk about me on other boards, it doesn't hurt me. I live my life just fine. I choose to stay with the Moderators because I have felt nothing but welcomed here, which is not true on the other boards.
                    Rude, ignorant, and juvenile are words that come to mind. I made the mistake of posting there, suggesting someone remain optimistic, and not label themself as a loser.

Holy crap, how dare I, as I take Naltrexone and I am not white knuckling things, and walking the true walk!

I'll say this, I sure as hell don't worry about it, and I don't count days, and I'm enjoying life.

Comment

The Joys of Moderating

BTW Lasha , i'm in Edinburg right now, then down through Wales into London. If I pass this moderating test, I deserve some gold stars or something.

Comment

The Joys of Moderating

LASHA! Hey, we miss you! Thanks for checking in! You are a great friend, and we need you back on the boards, laddie. Kilt and all. Please?

Hey, thanks, Guapo, for the words of support. Life is good, no? And yes, gold stars all around.

Comment

The Joys of Moderating

So far so good !!

Comment

The Joys of Moderating

What a hoot, wedding was brilliant, lovely hotel, lovely food, lovely speeches, great families involved and behaved myself with the evil drink.

Now I've got some lovely memories of my nephews wedding and feeling on top of the world not a depression thing in sight. That would not have happened once upon a time.

Sorry NNG, haven't been around lately what with the distractions of new job and guest house but I can visit a bit more as everything's working well and has settled down.

Lash
                            It's not what you drink, it's how much!

Comment

The Joys of Moderating

Interesting to note how much of life in the British Isles revolves around alcohol. Update coming soon !

Comment

Working...
                              X