Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When to throw in the towel trying to moderate?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When to throw in the towel trying to moderate?

When do you know it's time to stop trying? At what point do you say I simply cannot drink? Just curious because I have been able to moderate in the past, but not lately. I am currently not drinking, but am wondering when others knew absolutely for sure they could not do it. I am not a daily drinker, and have never become physically addicted. I can see the path I have been on and it has begun to scare me. Looking for insights from others as to when the light bulb went off and you knew you had to quite entirely.

Addy, this is the best post ever! I copied it and read it every day.
    Few years ago I thought there is no question, I will absolutely NEVER quit. Yes, I could go and abstain for a month, but in my heart I knew I DONT WANT to quit. I was just playing games with myself and my husband, trying to "prove" to himI can moderate after I don't drink for a month.. Never worked.
    Well last year I had three times where I abstained for almost 2 months. That's half a year! And during those times I had a little glimpses of myself, how my life could be if I just found strength and piece within me to actually quit for good. But the thought of doing it for "forever" terrifies me. But yet I feel I'm much closer to the idea of sober me now, through these periods of abstaining..
    I'm currently doing it and actually didn't even drink thought holidays. I "quit" on Desember 19th, with Antabuse though. Today is day 31 for me and I'm planning on going until March 4th. We have a getaway planned for my birthday and it's all booked. I know I WILL drink there for sure. But and hoping to look at the whole experience with "different eyes" and hopefully will jump right back to abstaining, until the summer, where we also have activities planned where I will probably drink.
    So I feel like I'm getting there..
    Thank you again for such a wonderful post..

Comment

Originally posted by NewStartNow View Post
      When do you know it's time to stop trying? At what point do you say I simply cannot drink? Just curious because I have been able to moderate in the past, but not lately. I am currently not drinking, but am wondering when others knew absolutely for sure they could not do it. I am not a daily drinker, and have never become physically addicted. I can see the path I have been on and it has begun to scare me. Looking for insights from others as to when the light bulb went off and you knew you had to quite entirely.
      Here's your towel Sounds scary to live without AL, but that is short lived
      Glad to be back with my second family :sohappy:
      Last dance with the devil 5/02/11

Comment

Re: When to throw in the towel trying to moderate?

If the meds dont rewire your brain chemistry. Some people have brain chemistry that can be rewired and some people dont. I rewired mine with lamictal/abilify maintena and sertraline.I had no hope of moderating before then and when I say no hope I mean no hope.

Comment

Re: When to throw in the towel trying to moderate?

how long can you moderate for... I dunno. Feels like i've been moderating all my life

Comment

Working...
          X