Under the Influence, James R Milam.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Under the Influence, James R Milam.

This is a rather old book but provides a view of the causes of and treatments for addiction that are consistent with more recent data. He presents his arguments in 2 later position statements that are available here.

Oh No Sugar - I somehow missed this post and this book sounds very interesting (I read the White Paper you linked.). Thank you for posting - I'm going on Amazon now to see if avail for Kindle. Otherwise, off to the library.
    Mary Lou

A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty. Winston Churchill

Comment

Finished this one and I encourage everyone here to read it. The authors do a great job explaining alcohols effects on all parts of our bodies and it was an eye-opener for me. Some of the language can be a bit technical/medical (at least for me) but easily understood none the less. I'm not a "health" fanatic but I don't ever want to put that sh*# in my body again! Thanks NS for the original post.
      Mary Lou

A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty. Winston Churchill

Comment

Glad you read it, Mary Lou. It's a shame that these ideas aren't emphasized more in recovery environments. Once you realize how bad it is for everyone, it makes me think we're kind of lucky to be DONE with it. People often tell me they wish they got sick when they ate gluten, like I do, because then they wouldn't gorge on breads, cakes, cookies, etc. I've felt fortunate to have that problem in some ways, too, because it forced me to cook from scratch from the time my kids were really young so they ended up eating much less processed junk than the typical kid. (Now of course, there is a ton of gluten free crud available but that wasn't the case in the 90s).

Comment

Working...
        X