November Mod Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

November Mod Thread

I thought I'd start up in here. Yeah, I am doing fine, thanks NNG. Like I said, that night was a bizarre, yet really good one for me, even though AL was involved.

It was really nice to do something well, nice for someone, unconditionally, she's a nice, sweet kid in a bad spot, and I know she appreciated it. Irony, what it cost me to buy her an outfit, was probably double what it would've cost getting a car for the barracuda. I rather spend me for someone who will always remember the gesture and appreciate it.

Well, here's to start of a new week and month.

j.

Hey, all.
    Happy November!
    Stewarts, thanks for starting us off. I hope some more of our group come back ... we're getting a bit thin around here.

I am doing well, and appreciating the moderating life-style. It is very empowering to decide ahead of time how much you are planning on drinking, and then sticking to it. Pretty soon the holidays will be upon us, and that is when we all need to be especially vigilant.
    Take care my friends!

Comment

Hi all. I have to say, I think I've been doing well. I need to watch a little what I eat. I have midterms coming up, and the past two weekends I was in study groups, and I forgot how studying brings out the "bad food." As for drinking, I've been pretty good. It's weird though, I am finding myself being able to drink a lot of light beer recently, like how I used to in my twenties. Nothing bad comes of it, except feeling bloated and ruining some of my training goals. So, I need to get that in check. I had some colleagues in town from another office on Monday, had only two glasses of red wine with my meal, which was all I wanted, I didn't feel the need to want anymore. Truthfully, one of the reasons I ordered the second glass of wine, was because I really didn't like the first, it was drinkable, just not what I was expecting from a Malbec, but didn't want to bother sending it back - I rarely do that, unless something is atrocious for some reason.

I had a great ski conditioning workout last night, but then did drink more than my three light beers. I am fine today. I don't think I ruined my workout, I didn't have dinner. I think with midterms coming up I'm a little stressed. Yesterday was like my don't think about anything day and tonight and tomorrow, will be my go over the books day.

I hope everyone comes back. It was such a nice group. I know for me, I really have no one I can talk to about this stuff. Actually, I shouldn't say that, my family I can, but that's it. Friends, they all drink, it's not something I feel comfortable talking to them about.

I think that is why I stay to myself some times, a lot, over the last few years, which is weird because it's not in my nature to be like that.

Well, that's it for me, for now.

Best,

j.

Comment

But hey, Stewart's, it certainly sounds like you're in control, and that's all we're really trying to do.

I found that talking to anybody about anything to do with alcohol including my wife, is counterproductive, and met with a lot of blank stares etc

I met with the counselor for a while. The real problem is, we are a society awash in alcohol, and if you can't handle it and control it you're a loser. If you admit you need help controlling it, you're a loser. God forbid you are a nondrinker, and say you shouldn't drink, then you are an extra special loser.

Elsewhere on this forum, if moderation is so much as mentioned, you are considered a disruptive nutbag trying to derail everybody elses sobriety. It is a good choice For some, and I'm happy to have gone that route.

Seems like it's a viewed as a moral failure, makes people uncomfortable to talk about it in any form.
        That's why talking anonymously on here is good, don't have to deal with the badness people see it as on a personal level.

I know you'll just end up feeling better about yourself moderating, and the end result will be good overall because everything will go better.

You are absolutely right though, it's hard to find anyone to talk to you about it, so I for one will be hanging around.
        Last edited by guapo; November 12, 2014, 02:34 PM.

Comment

Hey, Guapo and Stewarts,
          I am glad you two are still here. I miss our little group. Perhaps if we hang out for awhile, people will start coming back.

I guess the whole country is in the deep freeze this week, so I won't even mention the below zero temps or screaming wind. Makes a person very grateful to have a warm house to cuddle up in.

My husband has returned after being gone for three weeks. Such a profound blessing to have him home safe and sound.

Best of luck to all of you, my friends. Keep up the good work, be strong, and treat yourselves well.

Comment

I got midterms coming up this weekend, first one tomorrow morning. I think I will be ok. Saturday I know is a friend from home's 40th bday party. I will go to that. Timing will be good, I have class on Sunday, but no test, my only other midterm is Saturday, so that should be good. I am going to make an effort to not drink a lot. This is my old crew and they do like to drink...I'm sure the bday boy will be getting hammered. We shall see what happens.

Best,

j.

Comment

Well, I hope this isn't a foreshadowing of things to come...the group dissolving...so.. nevertheless, here is my update. I had my midterms...which only two of the three classes I am taking this semester had, the third has a paper at the end. So, Managerial Econ I got a A. Now stats, which was a big one, like 3 1/2 hour, it was actually two tests. I don't have my official grade(s) yet, but the professor sent out the answers to both tests, and, I am pretty sure I got an A on both, i.e. above a 90 on each. All the answers seem to be memorable. And the one I know I definitely got wrong, I know I will get partial credit on, a lot of it. It was a big correlation problem. These, they make you show all your work, because there are so many steps, and if you type on little thing wrong in you calculator, you won't get the right answer. There are so many things to combine. I think I know which column I had off by a few digits, all the other I looked like I got right. I do want to know for sure my grades. Math was not something that I was ever really good at, despite my job, and STATS is a major PAIN...I never ever took a calculus class in my life.

I know a lot of people didn't do so well, so he is letting them take the test again, I don't think that will be me. He is also giving them extra credit, which anyone can take...if either of my tests are below 90 for some reason, I think I'll do the extra credit to push it up, but I think I should be ok...we shall see.

Grad school, even part time, reminds many people of college....just not as irresponsible for obvious reasons, so there was a lot of drinking that Saturday after the test. I was supposed to go to my friend's 40th BDAY party Downtown, but knew that was a bad idea, I had already gone over my limit even for beer, and then I got to a point, I said, it's a good idea if I just go home and I did. Others stayed out even later, and some paid the price...So, while I wish I would've limited myself more, for health reasons, I can't say I'm completely disappointed in myself.

j.

Comment

Not sure where everybody is, but I need to post an update. All and all, I am fine, but I think I need a long rest from AL. For the most part, I am good, but it's the one day that props up, like today, when I say, "Is this worth it?" The good news, I know why I am so down today, and just waiting for the clock to move to go home, chill, and then play my hockey game.

Our office are merging with another firm, which is a good thing, well, at least for me, but around here, lately, has been kind of morbid in this office. No action or anything...dead. I think when I am feeling the way I do now, due to AL, it just exasperates the low mood and hang over...also, if it wasn't so dreary here, I probably wouldn't drink.

I know I am being hard on myself. I wish there were more of you to talk to. I did email someone, who did write back and gave me some great advice. I also needed to speak with an abstainer... I just need to get my mind in order.

I think I am happier than I really am..or I am not so happy, and when I'm straight, it's just so much easier to deal..anyway, that's enough of me ranting, I hope you're all well.

Comment

Originally posted by Stewarts View Post
                  Not sure where everybody is, but I need to post an update. All and all, I am fine, but I think I need a long rest from AL. For the most part, I am good, but it's the one day that props up, like today, when I say, "Is this worth it?" The good news, I know why I am so down today, and just waiting for the clock to move to go home, chill, and then play my hockey game.

Our office are merging with another firm, which is a good thing, well, at least for me, but around here, lately, has been kind of morbid in this office. No action or anything...dead. I think when I am feeling the way I do now, due to AL, it just exasperates the low mood and hang over...also, if it wasn't so dreary here, I probably wouldn't drink.

I know I am being hard on myself. I wish there were more of you to talk to. I did email someone, who did write back and gave me some great advice. I also needed to speak with an abstainer... I just need to get my mind in order.

I think I am happier than I really am..or I am not so happy, and when I'm straight, it's just so much easier to deal..anyway, that's enough of me ranting, I hope you're all well.
                  Hi Stewarts. You sound well and good. Good !!

The longer you get away from drinking out of habit, the less it stays a habit. It sounds like a cliché, but being clearheaded is it's own reward in many ways. The main thing is to keep thinking about it, and being aware.

Comment

Stewart's, I hung out for a long time on this mods thread. Everyone here is doing a good thing, controlling alcohol intake is an accomplishment. I am now grateful to have stopped drinking all together. I have all of my life back, not just part of it. Many of us are not ready to quit, I wasnt a daily drinker. But I drank more than I had planned too many times.
                    My life is better without alcohol, since 9/1/12. My sobriety tool is the list at permalink 236 on the toolbox thread under monthly abstinance.

Comment

HI Guapo and Sunbeam...yes, I am doing well, now that I think about it. Sunbeam, we sound like we have similar situations, or had similar situations...I can go out and just have one or two...hell, I can go out and have none, I've done it before. I'd have to say though, like 90% of my friends drink. The new friends I make, it usually is around something like that as well. Perfect example, was the last weeknight in question....well, one, I totally ran myself down...I had a client that wanted to have a few drinks, then I had to meet up with Grad school friends to go over some stuff, then they wanted to go out, well, some of them. We are all getting to know each other, and we have a "cool" group of people that like to go out and socialize and we were reflecting on that in a very positive way...of course with AL. Then three of us that lived near each other took the party uptown, and I was out a little too late. I also remember, when I was out with my client, much earlier, the bartender bought us a shot...I don't do shots...occasional vodka here and there, but that's it...I think doing that and staying out, may have had something to do with my mood the next day.

Anyway, I found a picture from that night in my phone. I vaguely remember asking someone to take it, it was of the three of us. It's actually a very nice picture, it's of course in a bar. We all look...fine. None of us look sloppy or anything like that, we all looked good actually. I even posted in FB and people liked it, even female friends.

I'm not saying this to reprieve myself...it's just a reminder that I really am a good person, and just need to still, while I have come a LONG way, watch some old habits.

j.

The rest of my weekend was AL free...even when I went to dinner with my parents and sister. I could've had a glass of wine, but stuck to my no AL weekend.

Comment

Good post , S.

All I know, is that beating yourself up about drinking, or feeling that you're hopeless, is just going to lead to more drinking troubles. Having a good attitude about this makes all the difference.

Comment

How True

Originally posted by guapo View Post
                          Good post , S.

All I know, is that beating yourself up about drinking, or feeling that you're hopeless, is just going to lead to more drinking troubles. Having a good attitude about this makes all the difference.
                          Thanks Guapo, yeah I know what you mean. So last night I met one of my buddies, one of the one's in the picture to go over some grad school stuff. Oh, how times change; a little preamble is necessary, I was always right brained, math was not one of my strong points in school, I actually really never liked it; however, I am acing stats in grad school which is actually, really hard math, especially for someone that has never taken any advanced math like calculus, etc. So, this one buddy, didn't do so well on the Midterm and the professor let some of them take it over and asked some of us to help some students out. My buddy wanted to know if I would sit with him and do it, which I said yes, but was extremely shocked, still, because, the fact someone is asking me for Math help is just bizarre in my brain.

SO, after we were done he asked if we'd should stop by for a few drinks at this spot we go to. I kind of knew that was coming and told myself I wasn't going to drink, but I agreed. I knew I'd watch myself and I did...I just had a few beers. I feel fine. I am more upset that I got pizza on the way home last night... LOL

Anyway, we were talking about that night. Again, nothing bad happened, but now I know why I, or we all felt bad...apparently we were out to like 3am...???? I rarely do that on the weekends, let alone weekdays... I can't even remember the last time I had a week day excursion like that, years; I can't even remember the last time I had a weekend excursion like that (oh, the third guy with us, was a young buck, like 26, so I'm sure he was fine). He then said we were also doing shots...again, something not in my wheel house....So, yes, this was a pretty big slip up.

The good news, well, at least now I know what happened. I'm also not concerned about this happening again. I don't think this is a precursor to things to come for me in the future...it was just a weird night....making friends in school again, even grad school part time, is kind of like being in college again...just need to be reminded of that mindset.

We are meeting to go over more stuff today...tonight though, even though I don't think I'm coming to the office tomorrow....it will be an AL free night, simply because, I want it to be....

j.

P.S. last night, we saw some big time messes come into the bar...females too, I hate to say the "I'm glad I'm not that," but in this case.......

Comment

Hi all,

What a hassle resetting my password, never mind.

Almost lost my wee dog to a mouth infection, where did he get that from? Thank goodness for vets and steroids, didn't drink over my limit during it all but was perilously near.

Now he's back to normal I'm so relieved, postman might not agree though.

Has everybody moved on? NNG, Eve, etc. etc.
                            It's not what you drink, it's how much!

Comment

HI, all,
                              Though it is now December, I wanted to post on the November thread. Yes, I am still around, though I haven't been coming to MWO anywhere nearly as frequently as before. Lasha, always good to hear from you, and I am so glad your little dog is doing better. Our critters are family, aren't they?

Stewarts, you are always in my heart, you know. Take care of yourself and keep your feet on the ground.

I have been moderating well, but will set myself up for the holidays now by going completely af for awhile. This is not to say that there will be an over-indulgence once the hols get here, but rather the waistline is definitely suffering, and I simply can't allow myself to get any plumper. All is well.

Take care my friends, and know that I will check in once in awhile.

Comment

Working...
                              X