I really feel I will drink tonight....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I really feel I will drink tonight....

I really feel I will drink tonight. I work until probably midnight or so. I am feeling really sad and anxious todya and after a crazy busy night at work I feel I will drink at least a couple beers because that is all I can think about right now. So I guess I am here to see if you all can talk me out of it. My drinking pattern lately has been to slowly increase consumption mid-week and binge on the weekends. So it is not unheard of that I would truly only have two beers. Tomorrow is gonna be a lot harder as I work during the day, get off late afternoon and will REALLY want to drink as I will have had two very busy days in a row.

I really don't think I am strong enough to do this.

Happy New Year everyone!
    Dove

Wow Dove- You will always find support at this site, but no one but you can make you not drink. If you don’t feel you can do this you are pretty much guaranteeing you can’t. If the next 20 posts here scream at you not to drink, will you not? Will you not because we screamed at you, or because you believe in you? I feel strongly that you need to start with a positive attitude, and allow no excuses. If you slip or lapse, you know at least your heart was in the right place. If you have 2 tonight, 2 tomorrow, will you be you back to 8 or 10 by this weekend? It sounds like you want to stop, so start believing that you can. Dig deep and skip the drinks tonight…you will not regret that tomorrow.
    Last edited by See the Light; December 31, 2014, 03:28 PM.
    “Hope is being able to see that there is light despite all of the darkness”- Desmond Tutu

STL

Comment

I know. And thanks. I don't know how to have a positive attitude right now. I can't see the light, I guess.

Comment

Are there any non-drinking (or at least willing to not drink for a night or 2 or 3) friends, family, co-workers, etc. that you can surround yourself with, maybe go out for a while with you tonight can grab coffee or whatever? A sober support system is going to help distract you (let you husband have his fun for now, you are the one that wants change). There are plenty of places around me that do non -AL fun, especially tonight. There must be something you can do to avoid the AL. The drinking won't make you happier, especially when you wake up.
        “Hope is being able to see that there is light despite all of the darkness”- Desmond Tutu

STL

Comment

doveagain....fail to plan...plan to fail...why go into it with the attitude that you are gonna drink? then thats what will happen....you do not talk once about I might ,may, if ,or indeed think of any alternative...its as if its a done deal with "go on then talk me out of it "added to it!there are loads of alternatives...take yourself away from the drink area,drink af beer, dont go ..or just sheer guts and do it..wish you all the best
          af since the fourth of July 2012...howzat then America..now proudly marching into year 12

Comment

If I could drink like a so called "normal" drinker, I would get drunk every night. LOL, but true. Your post seems to make it clear that alcohol controls your life right now -whether or not you are drinking. You already know the answers that you are looking for. For me, if it were easy to stop drinking at will, I guess I would have never stopped drinking. Hang in there and enjoy the not regretting the next morning. And if you do decide to drink some regret tonight, hopefully you can always start the stopping again tomorrow.
            Last edited by Spiritfree; December 31, 2014, 03:44 PM.

Comment

That's a great idea. I will see but probably not anyone awake that doesn't drink at the time I will get off work (midnight or so) and no coffee shops open. Thanks, off to work now.

Comment

At the very least, MWO is always open..someone will be here to help. Stay strong!

STL

Comment

I can chat with you if want moral support - i am tapering so I i have set schedule I can help if want
                  Watch this video Anyone Can get Sober Video if you think you can't get sober
                  :newhere:

Comment

wylde thymes ...great idea mate.....why dont you 2 buddy up for the quit?
                    af since the fourth of July 2012...howzat then America..now proudly marching into year 12

Comment

Dove, please don't drink.

Just stay focused on how great you will feel tomorrow knowing that just for tonight you kicked it into touch. You have to start somewhere!

I heard a phrase, "why keep doing the same things and expect a different outcome"? So so simple huh. Only your changing of bad habits can bring a different outcome.

So, please dont drink, make a concerted change tonight, focus on a clear head for a new year with a new start.

Things wont change unless you make it happen. Only you can do that. It is in your control.

Here's to a great new year. Just think about all those rotten hangovers tomorrow, I know I'll be grateful not to have one tomorrow!

Hang in there please xxx
                      I can not alter the direction of the wind,

But I can change the direction of my sail.

AF since 01/05/2014

100 days 07/08/2014

Comment

Thanks all. You did talk me out of it, no matter what you think you did or didn't do. Thank you.
                        Dove

And, yes, tomorrow at the end of the work day is going to be a very difficult time to say no, again. I find my brain already talking myself into 'just one'......ugggghhhhh, I hate this.
                        Last edited by doveagain; January 1, 2015, 01:53 AM.

Comment

Dove, YOU were the one who didn't drink. That is great, you can do this. There are a couple of old threads around: I will not drink today, I didn't drink yesterday. You could bump one up or start a new one, and others will join you. I believe you will feel the best support if you join or start some kind of group.
                          My life is better without alcohol, since 9/1/12. My sobriety tool is the list at permalink 236 on the toolbox thread under monthly abstinance.

Comment

Great job Dove!! Yes, each day will be hard at 1st, but you can do it again...Stay strong

:woohoo2:

STL

Comment

Dove, glad you fought the voice.
                              I was just reading thru the Need Help ASAP threads, if those dont convince you to stay sober, dont know what will. Reintroducing Al is just a short term solution to a long term problem. If you want to reach a day when you get to the end of it and think, 'Gosh, I didnt think about AL at all today!' then stick with it. Scratching the itch makes the wound worse! Hang in there! Hope you had a better day, B
                              All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
                              Tool Box
                              Newbie's Nest

Comment

Working...
                              X