Simple living

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Simple living

Drinking makes life so complicated. Our health suffers, our relationships become toxic or at the very least unhealthy, we lose our passion, and our finances take a beating. It takes time to put everything right again after getting sober. Now that I have some AF time behind me, I realize that I need to concentrate on the day-to-day details. I ignored a lot of things during my drinking years, and created a real mess that I now need to clean up. But this post is about more than just being practical, although that feels good for a change, it's about living an authentic life - one based on our internal values, not what we've been sold.

So I wondered if anyone was interested in sharing ideas about living a more simple, organic, holistic, and sustainable life. I would be grateful to hear any and all suggestions.

These are things I have been trying to incorporate into my life:

1. Support my local farmers. I'm lucky - I live in farm country. I found a new indoor market yesterday that allows me to buy ethically raised meat, dairy and eggs from a local farm. I am grateful.

2. Open my damn mail!! During my drinking years, I was an ostrich about my finances and that was a disaster. I had bill collectors climbing all over me due to my financial neglect. It was awful and of my own doing. As many of you know, I lost everything including my house. No more of that nonsense. Now, I open, read, and address everything that comes to my mailbox. As dumb as it sounds, this was my biggest challenge. I was too afraid to deal with my bills because of past experiences, so I just didn't bother. Not advised. I now have a cute, decorated bag that holds bills to be paid (makes it more palatable), and a shredder that takes care of junk mail. This a daily ritual for me.

3. As an extension to the above - I no longer buy things I don't need. No more impulse shopping. I make a list and I stick to it. If I want something (and that's ok), I must be able to comfortably afford it first. If not, I need to save until I can. Absolutely no credit whatsoever. I have to say, the few "want" purchases I have made lately have been very rewarding because I have had to wait for them. And for the first time in my life, my savings account is growing. That is fun. I also decluttered my home recently, so I have a fresh start.

3. Grow my own. This is a new hobby for me, but I invested in a few grow lights and have converted a spare bedroom into an indoor garden - microgreens and herbs all winter long. It keeps me busy, and it's all organic. This summer, I will have a nice 20 x 20 ft. plot in an organic community garden. I plan to learn to can. That way I can enjoy my harvest all through the winter, and will be less reliant on big agribusiness.

4. Reach out to people. This was another hard one for me. I'm an introvert by nature, so it's easy for me to climb into a shell and shut others out. Now, I answer my phone. I make calls. I make plans. It's working out quite well. I heard from both of my sons today. A simple phone call and I realized that life doesn't get any better that

So - how have you simplified your life? I want to hear everything. This is my new passion. Living, cooking, gardening, finances - all of it. I spend quite a bit of time on websites and forums discussing these issues, but I thought it would be nice to bring this discussion to MWO. Here are a few sites I visit daily and recommend:

DIY Natural is dedicated to helping you create natural homemade cleaners, DIY beauty products, and more. We are your partner in health and natural living!

http://vickirobin.com/ (co-author of "Your Money or Your Life" A life-transforming book)

Peace to you all. xx, Moss
    Everything is going to be amazing

No kidding, an indoor garden? Would love to hear more about this, Moss. Got a photo?

Interesting thread you've started.

Comment

Hi - I am VERY interested in this as well. I dont have time to jot down ideas and things I am thinking - but I will get some thoughts together and share.

Funny story - I took a book out of the library regarding simple living. I had to renew it 3 times because I did not have the time to read it.... obviously not living the way I wanted.

More later - thanks for bringing this topic up.

BeachGirly

Comment

Pie - I have photos. I will upload them when I figure out how to do it. I basically am growing culinary herbs. So far, I have had success with rosemary (brought in from outside), cilantro, chives, parsley, and thyme. However, my basil isn't doing very well. I have a few leaves hanging on, but no real new growth. hmmmm? Don't know what I am doing wrong. I bought a new basil plant today, and am hoping this does better than my seedlings. Very disappointing since I love basil. The new batch of microgreens hasn't germinated yet. I'll take pics when they start growing. I bought the seeds and lights from a store in a nearby town that specializes in growing hydroponically. That's not my thing, but wow - it's a cool shop - and their displays are awe inspiring.

BG - using the library is a part of simple living. I can't believe I didn't think of that. I worked in public libraries for years, so I know their value. Good for you. I can't wait to hear more of your thoughts.

I know this thread probably seems out of place on MWO. When I first quit drinking, I felt listless. I had no passion...just hours to kill until I could go to sleep. I just didn't know what to do with myself. Now, I want to fill those hours with meaningful activities. That is why I started this thread. I meant for this to be a place where we could ponder the future - without AL. A simpler life where anything is possible.
        Last edited by MossRose; January 20, 2015, 06:38 AM.

Comment

Yo Mossy and everyone,

What a great thread idea. Sure does have a place here i reckon.

I have found i need to keep my life simple and tackle what i can handle, instead of having too much on my plate and so not doing anything!

At 22 days AF, i feel i need to ramp up my commitment to my AF self. Today i had a bit of a scare, as in i got very very close to throwing it in and getting grog, but i went for my scheduled run instead, and all fab now. I left my run later in the day than usual, and lounged about. I allowed some negative thinking to take hold, but a run soon fixed that. What i learned about myself today, was that i need to get running shoes on and myself out the door a lot sooner than i have been, and just get the exercise done early so as i'm set up mentally for a great day.

Another thing i want to get hardcore about is fruit and veg, and lot's of it daily. I've been doing better on this score, but it's been frozen veg from the supermarket, not the fresher market stuff. There's a big market in town, so i'm gonna load up on bulk cheap fruit and veg. I suppose i'll have to freeze some if i buy a weeks supply, or cook then freeze? Any suggestions?

Thanks for listening, hope i'm not waffling too much.

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

Moss - I don't know much about growing plants indoors but basil likes sun, heat and likes to drink water. Its a very temperamental plant. Sorry also to waffle.
            I started making homemade ice-cream when I got sober but that sounds a bit decadent doesn't it?

Comment

Originally posted by MossRose View Post
              Pie - I have photos. I will upload them when I figure out how to do it. I basically am growing culinary herbs. So far, I have had success with rosemary (brought in from outside), cilantro, chives, parsley, and thyme. However, my basil isn't doing very well. I have a few leaves hanging on, but no real new growth. hmmmm? Don't know what I am doing wrong. I bought a new basil plant today, and am hoping this does better than my seedlings. Very disappointing since I love basil. The new batch of microgreens hasn't germinated yet. I'll take pics when they start growing. I bought the seeds and lights from a store in a nearby town that specializes in growing hydroponically. That's not my thing, but wow - it's a cool shop - and their displays are awe inspiring.

BG - using the library is a part of simple living. I can't believe I didn't think of that. I worked in public libraries for years, so I know their value. Good for you. I can't wait to hear more of your thoughts.

I know this thread probably seems out of place on MWO. When I first quit drinking, I felt listless. I had no passion...just hours to kill until I could go to sleep. I just didn't know what to do with myself. Now, I want to fill those hours with meaningful activities. That is why I started this thread. I meant for this to be a place where we could ponder the future - without AL. A simpler life where anything is possible. If we can dream it - we can do it.

Nice thread MossRoss, thanks!

Very important question: every year I bring the rosemary in and is ir dead as a door nail a few months later.
              Tips please! Thanks!
              (AF since 17 May 2014) 2 years 5 months sober

Comment

Oh, and in the spirit of this thread I started a yoga practice and ended my gym membership.

Just using a YouTube video, 30 days for beginners.
                No its not a kick butt workout but reminds me to make time for one hearty dog walk a day.
                (AF since 17 May 2014) 2 years 5 months sober

Comment

Hi,
                  I know I said I would get some thoughts together and post.
                  Busy week with meetings, and then working afternoon shift - so sorry, this is just a short one .
                  My #1 thing I clean eating.
                  Try to eat locally grown, in season,.
                  This does a few things - it is better for me, healthier and fresher and not GM products or meat.
                  It also helps the local farmer and keeps money in the community.
                  I read a mag/ website called CleanEating. Lots of healthy tips.
                  I also follow a FB group that has a 100 day challenge to eliminate all processed food from our diets.
                  - freezer cooking in batches, so I am not in the kitchen forever, and can get out and exercise or have fun with my son.
                  More later - looking forward to others ideas as well.
                  Thx
                  BeachGirly

Comment

Moss, I agree with G-Man, this is a great idea for a thread! Just being AF isn't the only way to healthy living, there is so much more to it!

I'll add a few things about growing your own....a very good friend of mine used to own/operate a commercial vegetable greenhouse, lettuce, tomatoes, English cucumbers. When Bubba and I built the solarium/greenhouse on the side of my toolroom seacan, I went straight to Rick for advice. The three most important things to plants, especially herbs, is light, water, and food. Light is not something we can do much about unless we get into grow-lamps, water - never use city tap water for your plants! The chlorine/floride will most certainly stunt them if not outright kill them. Collect rain water and save it in plastic containers, also a good way to recycle all the pop/water plastic bottles we use, or buy bottled water. Plant food/fertilizer - use natural or organic products whenever possible, I can't remember off the top of my head the brand name Rick suggested and we use, but it is mostly made of seaweed and fish poop, not the best smelling, but my tomatoes are usually softball size and very "meaty", my English cucumbers average 24" long by 2" in diameter. Bubba's herbs grow good both inside and out, the only one, spearmint, didn't seem to like our cooler outdoor evening temps, but did very well inside. So if you have any questions that Google can't seem to answer, I'll see if my friend can help.

As far as storage/freezing goes, buy a vacumn packer! It doesn't have to be an expensive one, but all your fresh veggies, meats, leftovers, will last so much longer in the freezer if they are vacumn packed first. Fresh fish should be frozen in water, again recylce here, use your margarine, whipped cream, etc. containers. Put the fresh fish in, fill with bottled water, put the lid on and freeze. Again, use bottled water whenever possible to avoid contaminating your food with the chemical additives in city tap water.

I can't think of much more to add right now, but I'm sure more will come to me as I read the thread. Bubba and I are very health oriented when it comes to our food. We buy all our meats whenever possible, beef, pork, chicken, from local farmers so we know that it is hormone/steroid free. Of course, that is easy for those of us who live in rural/farming areas. We also hunt, not trophy hunt, but hunt for food. Nothing is more organic than fresh wild meat! As a matter of fact, I spent Saturday and Sunday curing, spicing, and smoking 10lbs of moose jerky. We also make our own hamburger and sausage. This is where the vacumn packer shines to preserve all of our meats!

Also, I am a journeyman plumber, gasfitter, a/c tech, hvac mechanic, and locksmith. As I have been in the trades for 40 plus years, I do have knowledge in most of the construction trades, so if I can help in any of those areas, give me a shout....
                    Quitting and staying quit isn't easy, its learning a whole new way of thinking. It's accepting a new way of life, and not just accepting it, embracing it...
                    Worry about tomorrow, tomorrow. Just get through today. Tomorrow will look after itself when it becomes today, because today is all we have to think about.
                    Friendship is not about how many friends you have or who you've known the longest. It's about who walked into your life, said "I'm here for you", and proved it.

Comment

Resolve to let go of everything that isn't making your life better, sweeter, and richer, so you can make room for everything that does. - bemorewithless.com

Comment

Moss Rose, I loved your Morning Ritual Thread and now this!! Right up my alley. I have simplified tremendously since I`ve moved and sure could do more. We`ve moved the office into our home for our family business and that sure cuts down on work and bills. I`ve got some financial advise from our financial planner and I see a light at the end of the proverbial tunnel.

For now I`ll just hang around and eat up all this information. Still early days for me in my latest and last sobriety stint but I`ve been doing a lot of healthy cooking lately and very interested in hydroponic gardens. We have the room in the basement so I`ll look into getting some supplies as soon as my son and his wife vacate the house (they are looking to buy their own place). Thanks for starting this.
                        "If you do not change direction, you may end up where you are heading."
                        Lao-Tzu

Comment

Hi all,
                          This thread is great and totally related to what I'm trying to achieve in my life!
                          I can't have garden here but I grow basil on the balcony.. TT it does seem to thrive in the obscene heat.
                          I also shop for Veges and fruit at the local market, eggs and chicken organic. I go to the local shop for milk etc ( cheaper and I would rather give them the money than Tessco). Meat and high quality frozen fish etc, I go to another local shop. I spend 80% of my money on local businesses and only go to the Supermarket for cheese and other imported products ... Dairy products aren't popular in Asia so are not sold locally.
                          Lying multinational companies seem to control our food chain and I'm not handing over my hard earnt cash to support them !

Pat

Comment

I am so inspired by these posts. Many years ago, there was a very popular bumper sticker. I saw it on tons of cars. Some of you may remember it...I Owe, I Owe, So It`s Off to Work I Go! Somewhat amusing, but, I remember being struck by how wrong it was on every level. Even back then, I knew on a soul level that I didn't want that to be the sum total of my life. But I took a detour, lived that life for too long, and am now back on track. Whew!! I am so thankful to see I am not alone on this path.

I don't even know where to start. So much great advice. I am learning so much.

TT - it sounds not only decadent, but delicious. Carry on, my friend. (And post recipes). I think you and Pat are right, the room is too cool for basil.

Eloise - I have never been able to keep rosemary alive much past January in the past either. It would be fine and then one day I would wake up, and it would be dead or dying. For some reason, mine is happy this year, so I'm barely touching it. I think it's going to flower. I'll take pics if that happens because that will be a first for me.

BG - I love your philosophy. The site you recommended is great. Reposting again just in case someone missed it. http://bemorewithless.com/ Good stuff.

Pat - You are an elegant shopper, and a very savvy one. Yes, our hard earned cash is our voting power. You've inspired me to work harder at staying as local as possible.

Cowboy - I love the idea of a vacuum packer. I hate wasting food and never do it intentionally, but it still happens. Never thought about vacuum sealing my food first. It makes total sense, especially since I plan to can/freeze as much produce this summer as possible. I used to water my plants with tap water because I had a private well. Probably wasn't a great idea, but I just never thought much about it. But, my new home has municipal water, and I can't even drink it. It's disgusting. I tested the TDS (total dissolved solids) level yesterday and found out it's 403. The EPA says anything over 500 is dangerous. Which means, everything over 50 is probably suspect. LOL.

SoberSoul - you have been on my mind so much lately - and here you are!! What a lovely surprise. I hope all is well in your world. It sounds like you are settled. I know you have simplified your life just be moving closer to loved ones. Take care, my friend.

Well, off to make dinner. I just can't thank everyone enough for participating in this thread.

Comment

I love the Be more with less site - thanks!

These are the tips I've heard over the years that I try to keep in mind:

Before I buy something, I ask myself: Do I already own something pretty much like this?and Am I going to choose to wear or use something I already own over this? If yes is the answer to either question, I don't buy it.

I am trying to keep "things" only if they are valuable to me, regardless of their market value.

An object is not the person who gave it to you. If the sweater from your grandma no longer fits, take a digital photo of it for you and give it to someone who is cold.

Local places you avoid because they're more expensive than online won't be there later when you need them. We've learned this painful lesson several times in our community.

You can pay your health care dollars to the doctor or the grocer.

Thanks for the thread, Moss! I love it and you.

Comment

Working...
                              X