Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How Will I Answer When Asked Why I Don't Drink?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How Will I Answer When Asked Why I Don't Drink?

I got to giggling when I thought about what my answer dance might look like! Can anyone relate?

squirrel.jpg

Now that would be different!
    IT'S NEVER TOO LATE TO BE WHAT YOU MIGHT HAVE BEEN
    Relapse starts long before the drink is drunk!!.Fresh Start!

Comment

I like how my brother-in-law (who is not an alcoholic) naively (?) responds when someone offers him a drink:

"No thanks I'm good!"

As if it is quite obvious nobody would want a drink unless he or she was not feeling good.

Comment

Re: How Will I Answer When Asked Why I Don't Drink?

I guess the same way a diabetic answers when he is offered a candy...

Comment

Interpretive dance tickled my funny bone. I just might try that...

Speaking of interpretation, during one of my sober summer days I landed in a waterside bar buying cocktails for our group. After the bill was paid, the bartender asked what I would like.
          I answered him something like this. "Nothing for me. If you felt like I do today, you wouldn't want a drink either"

I got a wry grin and a knowing nod of the head. I'll never know if they thought I was too polluted from the night before or they understood I was really saying I feel too good being happily sober to mess it up by drinking at ten in the morning.

In the end, no one really cares if you just say no thank you and go on your way.

Comment

I just say 'no thanks, I don't drink'. Turns out most people don't care and those who do likely have some questions about their own drinking habits.

Comment

I know some of the answers are as follows:
              "Listen, friend, I've already drunk mine. And yours, perhaps, too!"

Comment

I don't see why someone would have to explain themselves -like saying sorry but im blind ! - but if you need to come with an excuse you can always complain about hangovers or say you have to start an early day tomorrow

Comment

Originally posted by blindedout View Post
                  I don't see why someone would have to explain themselves -like saying sorry but im blind ! - but if you need to come with an excuse you can always complain about hangovers or say you have to start an early day tomorrow
                  Hello Blindedout and welcome to MWO.

When someone who normally drinks and often to excess in the presence of others, suddenly stops drinking, people are naturally curious and when they refuse an alcoholic beverage, the first question is usually "Why?". It's not a matter of explaining why - it's a matter of saying something to stop the questions. Two simple answers are - I am on antibiotics (or something similar) and can't drink AL or I am watching my calories and prefer to eat them rather than drink them. Or something along that line. People are sometimes very indiscreet in their questions and people in the early days of sobriety don't always want to share the reason they have stopped drinking.
                  For every 60 seconds that you are angry, you lose a minute of happiness.
                  AF since 10/10/2015:yay:

Comment

I made all those excuses to people (over a 3 year period when I TRIED to quit but never managed it for more than a few months ) in hindsight didn't want to 'confess' to something that in reality I may very well relapse and return to -- didn't want the 'oh look at her -- she told me she had a problem with the drink and there she is with a bottle of wine' sort of thing... but the day I KNEW 'this is it' --- didn't make excuses anymore -- just flat -- 'I don't drink' -- and to those who knew me before I quit -- 'I don't drink anymore' --- none of anyone else's business imo --- if we make lying excuses we are leaving the door open
                    Contentedly sober since 27/12/2011
                    contentedly NF since 8/04/14

Comment

Originally posted by mollyka View Post
                      I made all those excuses to people (over a 3 year period when I TRIED to quit but never managed it for more than a few months ) in hindsight didn't want to 'confess' to something that in reality I may very well relapse and return to -- didn't want the 'oh look at her -- she told me she had a problem with the drink and there she is with a bottle of wine' sort of thing... but the day I KNEW 'this is it' --- didn't make excuses anymore -- just flat -- 'I don't drink' -- and to those who knew me before I quit -- 'I don't drink anymore' --- none of anyone else's business imo --- if we make lying excuses we are leaving the door open
                      I guess everyone has their own way of dealing with nosey people. If a little untruth puts a stop to the questions, then no harm done. IMVVVVVVHO of course.....
                      For every 60 seconds that you are angry, you lose a minute of happiness.
                      AF since 10/10/2015:yay:

Comment

Working...
                      X