Adaptogens

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Adaptogens

So I have read about adaptogens for a long time, and don't know exactly what they are. I know they relieve stress to some degree, and I don't think that it is just psychological stress, I am sure physical stress as well. I currently drink holy basil tea and drink a panel ginseng tincture with my green tea. I have been dealing with depression and apathy for the past few months, and recently starting taking the ginseng that I was when I first quit. After a few days I feel the desire to do things again, and even feel motivated to pursue projects and goals that a week ago seemed undoable. So my question is what are the adaptogens that have worked for you guys? Have yo tried combining any to see if their is a synergistic effect?

More importantly as people who use AL to escape a great deal from out problems, have you experienced any negative side effects? I know my twin has bipolar disorder, and panax ginseng can aggravate this condition. I worry I am taking something that might spark a mental condition I really don't want to have. On the flip side, if many people enjoy this benefit of feeling motivated while taking ginseng then I want to know.

I have used this product in the past, and knew the guy who makes it. He sold it to me wholesale since I was a student of his, and am curious your thoughts about combining this stuff. Again, I am very interested in combining the effects of adaptogens and this guy seems like he already has. I definitely enjoyed the drink, it made me have energy and I drank very little while I was using it. In fact, I don't think I drank when I used it. Here is a link for those who are interested.

Global Resonance Formulation fights chronic stress and balances hormones effectively. Feel better and have more energy with Sun Horse Energy.

Just a heads up for anyone who is interested. I had been taking the ginseng pretty regularly before my vacation. On vacation I stuck with holy basil and i worked well for calming my nerves at the end of the day. Back again on the ginseng and it seems to be helping. I have been having a rough time doing anything since I stopped drinking, my motivation has been lacking. I definitely always feel better after taking the ginseng, I feel like things that would normally stress me out don't bother me nearly as much. I popped two vials wit my breakfast tea since I am still on Hawaii time and felt pretty good by the time I had to work. I definitely think ginseng can be used short term to get through tough times.

Comment

Drinking my ginseng with black tea now, still feel like doing things. I am going into the end of a 50+ hour work week and am happy to say compared to how I felt before taking the ginseng I feel much better. When something stressful happens my brain starts to think about how to handle it instead of what problems this is going to cause me. I don't know if this is the result of taking the adaptogens or something else, but I am definitely enjoying it.

Comment

Hey Dutch,

How are you doing? I have never tried the Ginseng before, but have recently purchased Holy Basil - only ever tried it once though...my little tea ball thingermabob (haha, no idea what it's called) doesn't hold the tea in too well and it ends up all over my cup and makes it difficult to drink.
        So adaptogen: "a natural substance considered to help the body adapt to stress and to exert a normalizing effect upon bodily processes"...ginseng is a very popular adaptogen...
        I personally haven't tried any adaptogens before but am very curious about Ashwagandha and am considering purchasing some in the near future to try out. Also, Kava Kava is something I am also interested in, although not a true adaptogen they say the effects are very similar.

But again...I am just wary of mixing all this stuff. To be honest, I have a cart full of supplements on iHerb that I still haven't clicked purchase on because I am wary as well as worried of any potential contraindications (especially since I am prescribed a benzo - what if I take this herbal supp and one day have a panic attack and want to take a benzo - will it interact negatively? you know what I mean?).
        Some of the stuff I have in my cart are MRM Relax All (that Jackie suggested in our other thread), L-Theanine (a precursor to GABA), Phenibut (although tolerance build-up is high), Ashwagandha (apparently there might be withdrawal if taken for too long?), Kava Kava aaaaand, that's all for now.

There is just so much out there and am not sure what works, what doesn't, what's a bunch of bogus bull and what is a God-send....I guess we gotta try it to see...
        Sorry, I am just rambling here, but wanted to contribute somewhat to the thread. I think looking into adaptogens for recovery alcoholics is a great idea. Especially for ones that are having a tough time dealing with stress/anxiety/insomnia.
        I am always looking for natural ways of dealing with these issues (other then drinking like a fish in the past over it)...and am curious to know if you have tried anything else, Dutch?
        Hope you're well too.

Comment

hey brisues, I used to have panic attacks as well, and had a benzo for a while but I was able to kick them. I have tried kava kava and it was an okay experience, not as good as drinking but that's probably a good thing. I have never had a problem mixing supplements, I know there can be contraindications but there can also be a synerigistic effect, and if you have been drinking in the past have you ever combined benzos and alcohol? That seems like it would be waaay scarier haha.

Comment

Today taking ginseng this morning I noticed that feeling again, like a stimulating feeling that makes stressful things I usually dread not feel nearly as threatening. I felt motivated more than usual, especially for a Monday, and got started on some goals I had postponed on. The only thing I changed in my diet was cutting back on the sugar. I wonder, since ginseng has been known to be good for diabetics and reducing blood sugar, if excess sugar in your diet can naturally reduce the effects of ginseng. Perhaps it's effects are prioritized and if your blood sugar is spiking the body somehow uses it up for that instead of it producing a stimulating effect. The other possibility is I drank it without having anything in my system yet, and perhaps that increases the bio availability somehow. Definitely not something I can rely on when cravings hit but every now and then it helps me get thru a day easier.

Comment

Comment

Although I have not been taking ginseng, I have been drinking my holy basil tea. I also started taking ashwaghanda as well, I was really having insomnia issues with cutting out sugar and I think that the stuff did help me. It's supposed to be good for all around male health, we shall see. For now I did notice less anxiety than usual, but I have also been feeling better all around without sugar.

Comment

Hello Dutch,
                  Thanks for this thread. I tried Holy Basil based upon your suggestion and experienced a feeling of calm and lack of desire for my evening wine. Thank you so much for this! I hope it continues...

Comment

Working...
                  X