Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If I was ever in doubt...

I am not now.
    I want to share an important experience from last night. We had dinner with a cousin I have not seen since I was 13 years old.
    Throughout the evening the topic of alcohol, mental illness and drugs kept coming up.
    Our aunt who recently passed away and drank from a large gallon bottle of gin for YEARS, right up until her death. She just would not or could not quit. Her ex-husband told me she refused to quit, I think it was a little of both. She lost everything that meant anything to her in life, but she wouldn't/couldn't stop drinking.
    Her daughter OD'd on some kind of prescription medication about 6 months after her death. She was her caregiver and had also lost her husband two years earlier. She had everything to live for including a teenager and a ten year old.
    Life was too painful for her, I am so sorry it had to end like this for both of them.
    Yet, the topic of drinking as a recreational passtime continued to be discussed as something fun and harmless.
    He did have a few words of warning though and said 'it is probably a very good thing you don't bother with alcohol anymore.' Very good indeed.

For me it was a clear message 'it is in your genes baby girl and it doesn't look good!'

I really am so grateful to have been able to stop as I did. I have to continue to fight for this. Spending time on MWO helps me to not take it all for granted. What I have accomplished by quitting drinking could very well greatly impact the rest of my life, and in a positive way. Thank you for everyone's support here.
    Last edited by Eloise; July 31, 2015, 02:10 PM.
    (AF since 17 May 2014) 2 years 5 months sober

There is no doubt your decision not to drink will positively impact the rest of your life. And by being here, you are positively impacting the lives of others. Thank you for sharing!

Comment

Eloise
      you are such a positive force to have among us. Glad you are here.
      Sam
      Liberated 5/11/2013

Comment

Glad I made it here Sam and you definitely helped me along in the beginning, so thank you for not giving up or writing me off.

Comment

Eloise, this is precisely why I keep talking about gratitude around here
          How can we not be grateful to be done with this destructive substance? Why would we ever invite it back into our lives?

I am very happy for you & wish you a good long life far away from the destructive grip of AL!!!

Lav
          AF since 03/26/09
          NF since 05/19/09
          Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Yes, agreed Lav. And because I have not seen much of any of my family for so long it could be easy for me to be dismissive of our history.
            Too many drinkers to count really, but especially distructive for the women.
            The men somehow scrap along and eventually quit, not so for many of the women.

Comment

Eloise, maybe you will be the first woman in your family to break the pattern. You can feel proud of your accomplishment & maybe influence others
              AF since 03/26/09
              NF since 05/19/09
              Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Working...
              X