Why keep posting?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why keep posting?

I at least read on this site every morning. I'm not hanging out on Newbies Nest like some of you, but I continue to value this reminder that I don't drink. I also welcome opportunities to support people who post various topics under General Discussion.
    My life is better without alcohol, since 9/1/12. My sobriety tool is the list at permalink 236 on the toolbox thread under monthly abstinance.

Reading daily helps me, too, Sunbeam. Sometimes I can think of a lot to post and other times I can't really think of anything that would contribute much. I appreciate your posts, though, and think it is important that no matter where we are in our quits, we chime in at least now and then, wherever seems appropriate.

For one thing, typing and "putting ourselves out there" is good for us but for another, unless people who have made this work write about how they're doing living their AF lives, there aren't many examples of success for people at earlier stages of quitting to emulate. Sometimes it seems like Byrdie and Lav might be the only 2 sober people on the planet!! People need to realize that lots and lots of people have gotten free - and stayed that way for a long time! This isn't an amazing feat that only a select few can accomplish.

It is important to share that we are really, really happy about the changes in our lives and that it is worth whatever we had to do. I wish all sober "readers" would tell us they're here -- show us what 1, 2, 5, and ??? years of sobriety looks and feels like. Sober life isn't perfect but I wouldn't trade it for anything.

Have a good weekend, all.
    Last edited by NoSugar; September 12, 2015, 09:23 AM.

Comment

I like this idea! I agree, it is important to share our struggle. I have been sober for about 1.5 years now which seems like a lifetime really. It was totally worth it to quit. I don't do exactly the same things I used to but the things I do are great. I too am super happy about the changes I have had to make to stay sober. It is SO much easier now than it was in the beginning where everyday was a struggle.

I love the fact that I can remember what I did the night before and that I wake up and Feel Good. I love being Un Hung! I was hungover probably 3-4 days a week and it was just gross. I swore I would quit and never did because I loved drinking too much. F that. I love being sober and love being Un Hung.

Stay sober peeps!
      Narilly

"Nothing in this World Can take the place of Persistence"
      "You can have the life you want OR you can Drink"

AF April 12, 2014

Comment

Sobriety rocks.
        Happiness is neither virtue nor pleasure nor this thing nor that but simply growth, We are happy when we are growing.

William Butler Yeats

Comment

Out & out the best thing I've ever done including quitting smoking.
          It was much more complicated as in stopping cigarettes is heralded as a brilliant achievement.
          With alcohol we are on our own as most 'normal' people do not or will not see the extent of the problem and wonder why we've chosen to do it.

We WERE on our own until we found this site and learned to live day to day sober & happy from those who were here before us :love:
          THAT is why I continue to post : for those coming behind.

( I am trying NOT to say journey) :haha:

Comment

got to agree with Satzy...def the best thing I have done..previously my work and everything dictated that I was in an environment that I needed to drink to relax and chill..as I am now,I very much doubt that was the truth,but rather a case of thats the done thing!!I feel much better within myself,and people close to me have noticed the change since I quit 3.5 yrs ago..why do I post?simple ...I was given a chance and help via this site..if I can do the same for someone else thats fine by me ..no tea and medals,parties,look at me etc just someone saying yep that helped me today is in itself a great sense of achievment
            af since the fourth of July 2012...howzat then America..now proudly marching into year 12

Comment

Staying involved on the site keeps my feet on the ground. I wouldn't trust me for one second left to roam about leash free. I'm grateful to have MWO and you guys to be tethered to. Its a very unique thing we have here. I haven't seen another site where folks have the same sense of community & emotional connection to one another.
              AF since January 7, 2014 *Never, never, never give up. ~ Winston Churchill*

Comment

For me, I know for a fact that if I don't keep reading and posting the sober life will slip away and bad habits become my normality. I did 7 years sober, when I stopped posting and reading my mind started to wander about what it would be like to drink again. Without a daily reminder and companionship in our journeys it is all too easy to throw away the good life and exchange it for the bad.

Comment

I keep posting because

1 - I like the people here.
                  2 - EVERYTHING I have read says a sober community is important to staying sober. THIS is my community - I don't want to go to an in person meeting for a number of reasons.
                  3 - I need to help and be helped. Writing and interacting lets me do both.

Comment

My reasons are similar to Pav's.
                    Also I like that there are a variety of ways that people are trying to find a way out of alcohol abuse. I have chosen sobriety but I accept that others have different routes, maybe using meds, and maybe not being totally abstinent. Generally, things are not too preachy on this Site (well sometimes they or individuals are) but I prefer this Site with a variety of options. Its also convenient to post via the internet and one can do this from anywhere in the world - provided you are on-line.

Comment

I still have drinking thoughts. Posting and reading keeps the wiring in my brain where it needs to be.
                      No matter how far you go or how fast you run, you can't get away from yourself. ....said at an AA meeting. It stuck with me.

Comment

I keep posting b/c I love the people here and I need to connect and stay grounded.
                        Enlightened by MWO

Comment

I agree with everyone's thoughts & statements on this topic.
                          I've been posting for seven years now & it helps me! And the opportunity to lend a hand when needed is awesome
                          Last edited by Lavande; March 27, 2016, 07:52 AM.
                          AF since 03/26/09
                          NF since 05/19/09
                          Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

reading helps me a lot too NS, but have decided to post minimally.
                            hopefully this will continue to work for me. for now i am okay and avoid inviting angry people into my online life.

Originally posted by NoSugar View Post
                            Reading daily helps me, too, Sunbeam. Sometimes I can think of a lot to post and other times I can't really think of anything that would contribute much. I appreciate your posts, though, and think it is important that no matter where we are in our quits, we chime in at least now and then, wherever seems appropriate.

For one thing, typing and "putting ourselves out there" is good for us but for another, unless people who have made this work write about how they're doing living their AF lives, there aren't many examples of success for people at earlier stages of quitting to emulate. Sometimes it seems like Byrdie and Lav might be the only 2 sober people on the planet!! People need to realize that lots and lots of people have gotten free - and stayed that way for a long time! This isn't an amazing feat that only a select few can accomplish.

It is important to share that we are really, really happy about the changes in our lives and that it is worth whatever we had to do. I wish all sober "readers" would tell us they're here -- show us what 1, 2, 5, and ??? years of sobriety looks and feels like. Sober life isn't perfect but I wouldn't trade it for anything.

Have a good weekend, all.
                            Last edited by Eloise; April 2, 2016, 06:40 AM.
                            (AF since 17 May 2014) 2 years 5 months sober

Comment

It's posts from the long time sober peeps that help me most these days. Seeing people living well on the other side of the darkness. Love my MWO AF role models!

Comment

Working...
                              X