30 years

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

30 years

I have been an alcoholic for 30 years. I think I always suspected it, but always found a way to say I wasn't an alcoholic because I did not drink everyday. However, 2 years ago I had a run in with the police and decided to start AA. I remained sober for about 90 days, then slowly crept back into my way of like. I am a binge drinker and it is only getting worse.

My wife also drinks nearly daily, but never more than 1 or 2 drinks. I simply cannot have just a few. I literally have to drink non stop until I pass out.

AA has been helpful, but I relapsed this weekend. I feel awful and remain very depressed bout who I have become. I started back with AA today and know I must really work the program in order to stay sober every day. I got a sponsor two years ago, but I did not follow through like I should. My sponsor is no longer alive, so I need to find someone new.

I have to stop drinking period and I want to help others live an alcohol free life. I have to fix myself first.

I am lonely and I am really scared. Sorry for rambling, just needed to get this out.

Reno
    first and foremost, welcome!! glad you are here. Knowledge is power, and you sound as if you have the knowledge of your limitations. I hope you are able to find the AA support you seek.
    Liberated 5/11/2013

Comment

Welcome Reno Please check out the thread called Newbie's Nest (under the Just Starting Out section). You will find lots of support! You can turn this around! xo
      AF since January 7, 2014 *Never, never, never give up. ~ Winston Churchill*

Comment

Thanks so much for the encouragement.

Comment

Welcome, Reno! Many of us have decades of alcohol experience, that left us isolated and frightened. If you're ready to get that monkey off your back, you've come to the right place for support. So glad you're here.

There are lots of threads here that may appeal to you. The Newbies Nest is one with lots of activity, and an easy place to jump right in to.

Comment

Hi Reno,
            This is a great place for support. Please go to the Newbie's Nest and you'll find great encouragement there. We have a lot of long-term sober people on this site and they love to share their pearls of wisdom. They know what they're talkin' bout.

Also, check out the tool box. It has anything and everything you're looking for to help in your quest for sobriety. Welcome!:hug:
            Sometimes what you're most afraid of doing is the very thing that will set you free.

Comment

Welcome Reno.
              Step 1 is finding support, as much of it as you can.
              We are all here for the same reason so ramble away!
              Tell us your story if you would like? That can be a positive way to start....
              (AF since 17 May 2014) 2 years 5 months sober

Comment

Got past Thanksgiving although with much loneliness. However, was really thankful for being sober and enjoying the day as much as possible. Also, was able to take a long bike ride on a beautiful sunny day.

It is day 5 and I feel good. I have accessed tools on this forum and I am very grateful for the encouragement. Hope everyone else has a great day. I have added to one of my favorite bible verses as a part of my daily meditation.

"This is the day the Lord made. Be thankful and rejoice in it - sober."
                Last edited by Renorach; November 27, 2015, 12:22 PM. Reason: Misspelling

Comment

Great job Reno
                  I have too much shit to do today and tomorrow to drink:sohappy:

I'm taking care of the "tomorrow me":thumbsup:
                  Drinkin won't help a damn thing! Will only make me sick for DAYS and that ugly, spacey dumb feeling-no thanks!

Comment

Welcome, Renorach! Congratulations on getting through Thanksgiving in spite of being lonesome. Lots of great advice above that I can't really add much to, being a newbie myself still. I'm glad you're here!
                    "Don't be ashamed of your story. It will inspire others".
                    “To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment.” ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

Seven days in and I feel great. This forum is a difference maker for me. I love the tools, advice and encouragement. Life is better sober.

Comment

So proud of you, Reno! This forum made all the difference for me, too! Keep up the great work!!!!!! B
                        All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
                        Tool Box
                        Newbie's Nest

Comment

Working...
                        X