Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You know you're an alcoholic if...

I'll get the ball rolling on this one:

1. You rearrange the contents of your recycling bins so that all your empty alcohol cans or bottles aren't showing so the neighbors won't suspect you're an alcoholic.
    2. You juggle convenience/liquor stores so that the clerks won't suspect you're an alcoholic.
    3. The clerk at the convenience/liquor store urges you to attend a meeting.
    4. Before you go anywhere the first thing you think about is whether alcohol will be available.
    5. The first thing you think of when waking up is drinking.
    6. You got up in the middle of the night to drink.
    7. You can go days without eating and survive only on alcohol.
    8. You eat less so you can make up the calories in alcohol.
    9. You tell a friend coming over you don't have any alcohol even though you do.
    10. You shake like crazy but still finish your beer and crack open another.
    11. You drank all day but still didn't pass out.
    12. A friend/family member tells you they can outdrink you and you laugh. Then everyone else backs you up on it.
    13. You run out of places to hide your empties.
    14. If someone says "I can't wait until Friday to get wasted" you have a little giggle inside.
    15. If you buy liquor with the highest alcohol content for the lowest price with no regard for its taste.
    16. If a cop/doctor has ever taken you're BAC and asked how you're still conscious.
    17. If you profess to be a sports fan because drinking is more acceptable when watching sports.
    18. If you're idea of one drink is however much that can fit in your largest cup.
    19. If you go to AA/NA meetings to find new drinking buddies.

and finally…

20. You go to AA/NA just to pick up those aluminum chips and then when you have enough you sell them to recycling and use the money to buy more alcohol.
    First, a man takes a drink, then the drink takes a drink, then the drink takes the man. --Chinese proverb

Sad, but I can relate to almost ALL of these. Welcome aboard, aihfl, sounds like you're one of us! See two links in my signature line below. Hope to see you in the Newbie's nest! t
    All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
    Tool Box
    Newbie's Nest

Comment

Haha - I downgraded to the 50ml bottles at one point because they were easier to conceal!
      First, a man takes a drink, then the drink takes a drink, then the drink takes the man. --Chinese proverb

Comment

I never understood the rotating liquor store thing. I could care less what they thought of me. Also how else did you get any bulk discounts? :egad:
        The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself.
        Friedrich Nietzsch

Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better man.
        Benjamin Franklin

http://www.theendofmyaddiction.org

Comment

Originally posted by aihfl View Post
          I'll get the ball rolling on this one:

1. You rearrange the contents of your recycling bins so that all your empty alcohol cans or bottles aren't showing so the neighbors won't suspect you're an alcoholic.
          2. You juggle convenience/liquor stores so that the clerks won't suspect you're an alcoholic.
          3. The clerk at the convenience/liquor store urges you to attend a meeting.
          4. Before you go anywhere the first thing you think about is whether alcohol will be available.
          5. The first thing you think of when waking up is drinking.
          6. You got up in the middle of the night to drink.
          7. You can go days without eating and survive only on alcohol.
          8. You eat less so you can make up the calories in alcohol.
          9. You tell a friend coming over you don't have any alcohol even though you do.
          10. You shake like crazy but still finish your beer and crack open another.
          11. You drank all day but still didn't pass out.
          12. A friend/family member tells you they can outdrink you and you laugh. Then everyone else backs you up on it.
          13. You run out of places to hide your empties.
          14. If someone says "I can't wait until Friday to get wasted" you have a little giggle inside.
          15. If you buy liquor with the highest alcohol content for the lowest price with no regard for its taste.
          16. If a cop/doctor has ever taken you're BAC and asked how you're still conscious.
          17. If you profess to be a sports fan because drinking is more acceptable when watching sports.
          18. If you're idea of one drink is however much that can fit in your largest cup.
          19. If you go to AA/NA meetings to find new drinking buddies. and finally…
          20. You go to AA/NA just to pick up those aluminum chips and then when you have enough you sell them to recycling and use the money to buy more alcohol.
          There are many in our world who think that some or none of these will ever apply to them -right? Please allow me to suggest to any single one of you that happen to be reading this list that all 20 items listed above can become your reality if you do not put the plug in the jug. Most all of the items listed above and more became my reality and damned near killed me -you do not have to fall this far if you are just willing to ask for help.

Comment

Originally posted by kuya
            You always buy the smaller bottle of vodka EVERY day cos you know you will drink more if you don't.....and the embarrassment when the shopkeeper keeps asking why you don't buy the bigger size and save money?

Such a giveaway (
            ouch.
            (AF since 17 May 2014) 2 years 5 months sober

Comment

You know you're an alcoholic when you can read the list of 20 things, relate to nearly all of them, and think to yourself "well this is just life in the fast lane no worries here!"

Comment

ps- SF, that's a boxer. :happy2:
                Last edited by lex; March 29, 2016, 08:07 PM.

Comment

Funny Lex!
                  (AF since 17 May 2014) 2 years 5 months sober

Comment

Re: You know you're an alcoholic if...

21. You drink your alcohol out of a coffee cup thinking no one will know.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by hulagirl View Post
                      21. You drink your alcohol out of a coffee cup thinking no one will know.
                      I'd forgotten about doing that, [MENTION=4610]hulagirl[/MENTION], but I certainly did - especially if it was the middle of the afternoon and it seemed "too early" to drink... I also used small juice glasses, as if anyone really thought I was drinking grape juice! The coffee cup wasn't my most pathetic approach though. At my worst, holding it above my head, I opened the spigot of horrible boxed wine directly into my mouth, hiding in the corner of the dark kitchen, praying no one would come in. I can still imagine what I must have looked like and that image reminds me where I never want to be again. I hope you are well, NS

Comment

[MENTION=4610]hulagirl[/MENTION] I have heard of people using, actually, I know someone that has used sunblock bottles. I've also heard people confess that instead of a water bottle at an AA meeting it was full of vodka (the speakers). Really nothing surprises me anymore. There is a problem that it is way cheaper to buy in bulk than by the shot at a bar. Kind of comes around to bootleggers and prohibition. People started drinking HARD liquor in smaller quantities than just a beer. I have been thinking about that alot recently. Way easier to hid a 40oz than a 24 pack.

IMHO we really screwed ourselves up.
                        Last edited by empyr3al; July 9, 2017, 05:41 AM.
                        "Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid." - Albert Einstein

Comment

Working...
                        X