Time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Time

It takes time to develop an addiction to alcohol.
    Time to recognise alcohol affects us differently that what we expect or wish for.
    Time to realise drinking is impacting our life negatively.
    Time to recognise we need to get help, reach out & it takes time to find the right support.
    Time to grieve a normal healthy relationship with Al that we once hoped for.
    It takes time to accept and come to terms with.

What is the cost of my alcoholism to me? Time.
    The time that I have lost is a tragic loss.
    I cannot turn back the clock nor would I like to.
    No pity, no regrets and no shame.
    I am glad for the past & what I have learned from it.
    I am grateful for who it makes me today.

My challenge is not to live with alcoholism.
    My dream is not a life beyond alcoholism.
    It is both.
    And it takes a lifetime to rise to.
    And a lifetime to realise it.
    Last edited by Lost Soul; February 21, 2017, 06:34 AM.
    To see a world in a grain of sand
    And a heaven in a wildflower.
    Hold infinity in the palm of your hand,
    And eternity in an hour.

Re: Time

Great post LS. It took forever for me to realise that time was on my side when i didnt drink. I was so impatient when i first stopped drinking, i wanted it all and i wanted it now but Rome was not built in a day and neither was my sobriety.
    AF free 1st December 2013 - 1st December 2022 - 9 years of freedom

Comment

Thanks Ava, I guess I feel the AF journey is lifelong. Acknowledging what I've lost to addiction & not being afraid of the past is where Im finding acceptance. Acceptance is such a powerful gift. Rather than confidence it is trust. Trust in myself & in the path that lies ahead. And that the AF journey is nothing to fear xx
      And eternity in an hour.

Comment

LostSoul, I think you should change your name to WiseOldSoul :hug:. I know you're relatively young but you seem to understand so much about yourself and life in general. And you certainly know how to treat others. Your posts are among the most empathetic and kind ones I've read. I agree with you that becoming AF is nothing to fear - it's an opportunity and a privilege. xx, NS

Comment

Originally posted by Lost Soul View Post
          It takes time to develop an addiction to alcohol.
          Time to recognise alcohol affects us differently that what we expect or wish for.
          Time to realise drinking is impacting our life negatively.
          Time to recognise we need to get help, reach out & it takes time to find the right support.
          Time to grieve a normal healthy relationship with Al that we once hoped for.
          It takes time to accept and come to terms with.

What is the cost of my alcoholism to me? Time.
          The time that I have lost is a tragic loss.
          I cannot turn back the clock nor would I like to.
          No pity, no regrets and no shame.
          I am glad for the past & what I have learned from it.
          I am grateful for who it makes me today.

My challenge is not to live with alcoholism.
          My dream is not a life beyond alcoholism.
          It is both.
          And it takes a lifetime to rise to.
          And a lifetime to realise it.
          Thank you Lost soul for posting this , I can relate so much.

:congratulatory: Clean & Sober since 13/01/2009 :congratulatory:

Until one is committed there is always hesitant thoughts.
          I know enough to know that I don't know enough.

This signature has been typed in front of a live studio audience.

Comment

Thankyou NS, that is really kind of you to say x I am very fortunate to have learned from having very inspiring teachers on my journey.

I think we all have to forge our own journey and when I have been at my most vulnerable, what has helped me most has been kindness & understanding of exactly where I was, in pain & suffering, which has given me the courage to continue on my path.
            I don't know if what I say or do is right, but I try to choose what I believe is right because that is all I can do. In striving for (the very limited) all I can do & knowing it is at the same time everything I can do, makes the journey itself and often times, the belief without knowledge, my greatest achievement xx

Mario, so much of your wisdom on MYO has helped me over the years & I will not forget it x
            And eternity in an hour.

Comment

Hi, Lost Soul--

I remember someone back at the beginning telling me that I wasn't a bad or weak person, I was just vulnerable to alcohol. I think that admitting that vulnerability, and allowing myself to be vulnerable here has really helped. I appreciate that in you as well.

Thanks for sharing. The sentiment resonates with me - and helps keep me focused. No more time to waste...

Pav

Comment

Thankyou Pav,
                I'm glad if you or anyone can relate if it helps in any way at all.
                We can't choose what or how much time we have,
                Only what we do with the time we do have xx
                I've learnt so much from you the past few months being back at MYO, so I should be thanking you :heartbeat:
                Take care
                LS
                And eternity in an hour.

Comment

The time lost to alcohol is the saddest part to me. As you said, there is nothing gained by punishing ourselves for that or any loss. Ever forward, we can still create our future.
                  My life is better without alcohol, since 9/1/12. My sobriety tool is the list at permalink 236 on the toolbox thread under monthly abstinance.

Comment

Just found this thread,great post LS,my biggest regret is the time I lost with my kids,I had a good 10 years with the older 3 before I started drinking but after that I was there in person but my mind was somewhere else soaked in beer,I'm now waking up and mourning my lost time with the kids,its something I hafta get over but its by far the hardest thing to deal with,I feel kind of alone and useless now that they're all grown up
                    I have too much shit to do today and tomorrow to drink:sohappy:

I'm taking care of the "tomorrow me":thumbsup:
                    Drinkin won't help a damn thing! Will only make me sick for DAYS and that ugly, spacey dumb feeling-no thanks!

Comment

Read this quote today and thought of you.

Although no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending. Carl Bard

Hope your doing well. :hug: Miss reading your thoughtful, kind and wise posts. :heartbeat:

Comment

Hi lost soul hope your doing ok.

:congratulatory: Clean & Sober since 13/01/2009 :congratulatory:

Until one is committed there is always hesitant thoughts.
                        I know enough to know that I don't know enough.

This signature has been typed in front of a live studio audience.

Comment

<hugs>
                          “If we are facing in the right direction, all we have to do is keep on walking.” – Zen proverb

"See it as it is, not worse than it is just so you have a reason not to try." - Tony Robbins.

Newbies Nest
                          Newbies Nest Roll Call
                          Toolbox
                          Cattleman Cafe

Comment

Yep. Time. Thanks for your thoughtful words LS and all.

Can't change the past, but I can try to be the best man i can be. All i can do is lead by example with action.

YouTube
                            Last edited by Guitarista; March 29, 2017, 02:34 AM.

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

Originally posted by paulywogg View Post
                              Just found this thread,great post LS,my biggest regret is the time I lost with my kids,I had a good 10 years with the older 3 before I started drinking but after that I was there in person but my mind was somewhere else soaked in beer,I'm now waking up and mourning my lost time with the kids,its something I hafta get over but its by far the hardest thing to deal with,I feel kind of alone and useless now that they're all grown up
                              I am sorry for not replying sooner, I was too sad & affected by other stuff - I really miss my mum & dad now (& always have) that's why it hurts so much now They need you grown up now as much as when they were little or less dependant x Who you are matters more than you know, it did to me & because of that, I know it will to them x

Never give up x
                              And eternity in an hour.

Comment

Working...
                              X