Trying 7 weeks to sobriety

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trying 7 weeks to sobriety

Like everyone else I've become desperate to stop drinking. I used to be able to stop just with will power, then with Kudzu. Even when I was drinking I could abstain during the week and just drink on the weekends. Lately though that hasn't been the case. I look forward to drinks after work every night, as well as lots of drinking on the weekends. I've decided I need to step things up in my efforts to stop, but I have to admit its taken quite a while to do so.

My first thought was to try the Sinclair method. I tried to find a provider who would administer Naltrexone to me, which ended up being an exercise in frustration. My best option on that is to get it off the internet and self-administer, and I'm not terribly comfortable with that (although I'll keep it as a last resort option if it comes to that).

So while researching the different ways people have found success with quitting, I stumbled across the 7 weeks to sobriety book. I bought it and read it a couple times. I figured I'd give it a shot, so here I am, day 1.

I had several activities planned for the 4 day weekend, but I backed out of all of them. I'm just going to hunker down at home and get used to taking all these supplements. I'm also going to get used to going to sleep without alcohol, and waking up without caffeine. What better than a nice fat 4 day weekend to do that? By the time I return to work Wed, hopefully I'll have the routine down. More importantly, hopefully I won't have touched a drop of alcohol by then either. We'll see.

It looks like you've got the makings of a good plan to keep you on your sober path [MENTION=23854]Squanderer[/MENTION]! Start with today then work on tomorrow. Staying away from drinking events is a very smart idea, especially early in your quit. As you gain some AF time, it'll get easier to be around alcohol without feeling the need or want to drink. For now, protect your quit at all costs because right now it's the most important thing to you! Hang in there, you can do this!
    Quitting and staying quit isn't easy, its learning a whole new way of thinking. It's accepting a new way of life, and not just accepting it, embracing it...
    Worry about tomorrow, tomorrow. Just get through today. Tomorrow will look after itself when it becomes today, because today is all we have to think about.
    Friendship is not about how many friends you have or who you've known the longest. It's about who walked into your life, said "I'm here for you", and proved it.

Comment

Re: Trying 7 weeks to sobriety

Hi and welcome [MENTION=23854]Squanderer[/MENTION]! I have read that book as well as the mood cure and take some of the supplements. Which are you taking? It is great to have a 4 day weekend to get started. Check in here often for support! And, jump in the Newbies Nest!
      Last edited by ssd858; July 1, 2017, 11:59 AM.

Comment

Thanks abcowboy. As selfish as it felt flaking out on everyone, I do agree about my quitting being more important. I didn't tell anyone why I flaked, my friends all know I drink of course but I've kept the fact that its a problem a secret.

Comment

Originally posted by ssd858 View Post
          Hi and welcome [MENTION=23854]Squanderer[/MENTION]! I have read that book as well as the mood cure and take some of the supplements. Which are you taking? It is great to have a 4 day weekend to get started. Check in here often for support! And, jump in the Newbies Nest!
          Hi ssd858. I'm doing the detox formula outlined for the first 2 weeks. The book has 2 detox formulas, but the supplements come with one set of instructions that it says covers both, so thats what I'm taking. It looks close to detox formula 2 to me though. Haha there are a TON of pills!

Did you do the whole 7 weeks program?

Comment

Day one is over, it wasn't bad at all. I can't remember the last sober Saturday I had. It's surprising how long the day seems when I'm not drunk/passed out for most of it! Anyway, I know its just one day but I'm grateful to wake up on a Sunday morning without a hangover. I'm thinking of all the things I can get done today, but not thinking of a trip to the liquor store.

Comment

Great work Squanderer! Keep it going friend.

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

Thanks Guitarista, definitely so far so good!

Comment

Well done. first week is the hardest

Comment

I found this book very helpful. I enjoyed drinking on an empty stomach so this was great. I am hypoglycemic so I learned to eat small amounts of protein regularly. Good Luck.
                    Enlightened by MWO

Comment

Originally posted by SKendall View Post
                      I found this book very helpful. I enjoyed drinking on an empty stomach so this was great. I am hypoglycemic so I learned to eat small amounts of protein regularly. Good Luck.
                      Thanks Skendall. I'm also employing some things from the MWO book as well, and so far its working. Lotsof interesting stuff in both books! I thank God I stumbled across these.

Comment

I actually bought and used the supplements from '7 weeks to sobriety' for a few years before I actually quit. Those supplements kept me well until I reached a point when I was ready to actually quit.

Supplements work, continue taking them regardless of whether you are sober or not, is my advice.
                        Last edited by kuya; July 13, 2017, 06:05 AM.

Comment

I will definitely keep taking the supplements, they do work wonders! I know I'm just approaching 2 weeks here but I haven't had any cravings at all so far, maybe just a couple "twinges" but nothing serious. Matter of fact I never even think of alcohol, its just never even on my radar. In the past when I'd stop drinking I'd be tormented day and night with thoughts of drinking, its nice not to be bothered by that nonsense for once.

Comment

Working...
                          X