90 days. ..Campral miracle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

90 days. ..Campral miracle

Two days ago i reached my 90s mark for the 4th time. Only difference this time is that the alcohol obsession, cravings, relapse worries, dreading social events, etc are absolutely non-existent. Difference this time around is i am on Campral. This medication balances the brain chemistry, which has been thrown of by years of alcohol abuse. There are no noticeable changes like euphoria when taking Campral. ..none of that. What you notice is that weeks have rolled by and NOT one time has alcohol accupied more than a couple of seconds of your time. I have fought nutritionally and prayerfully to overcome this disease but have always fallen back due to faulty thinking and cravings. I have also addressed my depression by taking a good quality B complex, a multi vitamin, tryptophan, magnesium glycinate, probiotic to heal digestive issues (90% of serotonin is made in the digestive system...if you have digestive issues, a good quality probiotic is needed. I like Culturell)... Lastly i use very little to no sugar most days. No cake, ice cream, cookies, soda....water. ..water and more water with lemon. I also don't eat fried or grease foods like pizza, pasta, chinese food etc. I make exercise priority first thing in the morning. Prayer and exercise in that order. Just sharing just in case anyone is struggling, there is hope. This is now my wayout and i thank God for finding this regimen. Recommended dose is 6 pills a day. I have not needed that many. Just 2 pills with my b complex, multi and tryptophan on an empty stomach first thing in the morning works just fine.
    Last edited by lizker; July 15, 2017, 04:48 PM.
    Its for freedom that Christ has set us free. Stand firm then and DO NOT let yourself be burdened again by a yoke of slavery. Gal 5:1

Re: 90 days. ..Campral miracle

I'll look into all those. Campral was unnoticeable for me though I did have a good life sober using it for months, whether that is sobriety or campral is up for debate and possibly placebo. It works on the calcium ion parts of the brain. I have like 8 boxes of it, so like 700$ and you obviously know the dosage it involves. 2000 mg over a day. There are arguements that maybe its just calcium and not acamprosate that does this. Calcium is way cheaper, not sure yet. I will test it though using partial acamprosate (Campal) and a mix of calcium to see what the difference is. Glad you had meds to assist you. I have thousands of dollars in meds that will not kill me of get me high other than diazepam.

So I take a good quality B100, B1 in quantity. And C1000 time delayed.

So what you are taking that I need to look at is tryophan (Is that prescribed), mag gylcinate, Culturell. I eat hardly any sugar even though I have a ton of it in icecream which is probably freezer burnt and I used to use freezies (frozen popsicles in plastic).

When you talk about 6 pills a day, we are talking campral right?

I practice culinary as a therapy so I eat chinese, thai and japanese, reduced oils or actualy i should say I replaced the canola and olive with peanut in small quantity as its got a high flash point but may not be healthy.
    "Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid." - Albert Einstein

Comment

Empyr3al, thanks for the input. Campral is actually more like the amino acid Taurine. They have very similar properties. The calcium may help enhance it. Definitely no placebo here. Knowing how i have been tormented by this disease whether while drinking or abstaining, if you read my posts from before, you can tell the battle i've been waging. I know that Campral in conjunction with other things iam ttaking is working.How long were you on it? What made you stop taking it? I plan to give it atleast 2 years. ..thats how long it takes for the brain to rewire itself.
      Tryptophan is not prescription. You can buy it at most vitamin shops like GNC or online. Quality does matter. I personally like source Natural Tryptophan. Quite pricey but worth it. Culturell is a probiotic. It's mainly beneficial for digestive issues like gas and bloating and constipation. I also find Pearl probiotic very good for digestive issues but also for depression as it has acidophollus probiotic. Culturell does not have acidophillus. Acidophillus is king of probiotics.
      As far as the 6 pills, that is the recommended dose of Campral. 2 pills 3 times a day which does up to the 2000mg you mentioned earlier. At first i was taking this recommended dose but over time, i noticed that lower does were just as effective. Which means one refill of 180 pills, actually can last up to 3 months. Good luck with everything.
      Last edited by lizker; July 15, 2017, 08:32 PM.
      Its for freedom that Christ has set us free. Stand firm then and DO NOT let yourself be burdened again by a yoke of slavery. Gal 5:1

Comment

Hi Liz. Congrats on 90 days +! Your vibe sounds good.

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

[MENTION=18648]lizker[/MENTION] I believe in campral but some think simply Calcium would work. Maybe in a hybrid. Acamprosate (Campral) cost so freaking much money its hard to justify. Its prescibed for up to a year here and costs like 250$ a month. I carry trays with these vitamins and drugs. So I like look at L-trypto, are you in Canada and I guess you are because you mentioned GNC. If you are curious and you sound educated check out oxytocin.

I stopped taking it to stock pile, because my benefits will run out and I will need months worth of it for my next trip.... so I can be sober for a very long time. Managed 6 mo with the assistance of campral and naltrexone and all the vitamins.
          Last edited by empyr3al; July 16, 2017, 04:00 AM.
          "Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid." - Albert Einstein

Comment

Hi Liz, So glad to hear you're doing well! Glad you popped in.

Comment

Can't Complain Guitarist. I know you had mentioned that you would look into it Campral. Jus wondering how that went

Comment

Thanks Pie. I do miss hanging out here. Between 2 jobs and gym, i barely have time to post or follow along most peoples journeys. But i do think about all the wonderful people i have met here such as you and many others. Will keep every one posted.

Comment

@ Empry3al Iam actually in the US. Campral is quite pricey but i was lucky to get a discount card for Walmart that lowered the price to jus 70 bucks. I kid you not, i googled Campral prices and the first thing that popped up was a discount coupon for Walmart. I didn't think it would work but when they scanned it the pharmacy, it worked. My insurance wasn't going to pay for it as i hadn't met my deductible and really did not have 200dollars. Most people don't believe in divine intervention, i do. As i explained early, its not necessary to take 6 pills. Jus 2 pills aday work jus as good. The prescription i got 90 days ago is jus now ending. As far as using calcium, i am curious to know how that goes. Please update. I jus don't want people to be discouraged from trying the life changing medication.
                  PS...the website with discount coupons for prescriptions is goodrx.com....you can get huge discounts on most prescriptions especially is you have crappy insurance like Cigna
                  Last edited by lizker; July 16, 2017, 12:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by lizker View Post
                    Can't Complain Guitarist. I know you had mentioned that you would look into it Campral. Jus wondering how that went
                    I haven't tried campral yet. Instead i decided to go with antabuse. I've been on AB for a little over a month now, and it's helping me. The power of it for me, is in the mental deterrent to even think about drinking because once you've popped a pill, it stays in your system for up to 2 weeks. So for me it takes the drinking option off the table if i all of a sudden feel a strong impulse. It's just to kick start my sobriety. i want to reach 6 months AF which will be a significant milestone for me. I doubt i'll need it after 12 mths. I take small doses about twice a week. No noticeable side effects as long as i don't drink, and i won't on this stuff.

Thanks for asking. Have a gr8 week. :happy2:

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Comment

Originally posted by Guitarista View Post
                      I haven't tried campral yet. Instead i decided to go with antabuse. I've been on AB for a little over a month now, and it's helping me. The power of it for me, is in the mental deterrent to even think about drinking because once you've popped a pill, it stays in your system for up to 2 weeks. So for me it takes the drinking option off the table if i all of a sudden feel a strong impulse. It's just to kick start my sobriety. i want to reach 6 months AF which will be a significant milestone for me. I doubt i'll need it after 12 mths. I take small doses about twice a week. No noticeable side effects as long as i don't drink, and i won't on this stuff.

Thanks for asking. Have a gr8 week. :happy2:
                      Great to hear that Guitarist. There's definitely More than one way to skin a cat. Best of luck. So do you still get cravings with anti abuse?

Comment

Thanks Liz. No cravings actually. I had a little emotional turmoil recently, nothing serious, but i reckon if i wasn't on AB i might've resorted to my easy default coping strategy - boozing.

No cravings is a combo of my mindset too. My mindset has been evolving in a positive way these past months, years. I'm thinking more and more along the lines of....life is damn short, so get out there g man while u have your health and make music, travel, be my best self. there is so much i want to do, and so much to offer humanity. This is my attitude now anyway.

Comment

[MENTION=7261]Guitarista[/MENTION] antabuse is not allowed anymore in Canada, or at least in Ontario unless you visit your pharmacist daily. It can be deadly so its rare here. Campral is designed for after you are AF to help you recover.

If it worked for you congrats! NO doc will ever give me that (antabuse). Like I said campral is for recovery and not for AWS.

Comment

Congratulations, Lizker, on 90 days AF.. You sound strong in your quit and doing everything necessary to have a healthy life, physically and spiritually. I'm very happy for you!:hug:

Comment

That is my effort. If you look at the tray it has campral, naltrexone and B1 and B100 and C1000. As the photo shows I've tried everything.
                              Last edited by empyr3al; July 18, 2017, 01:24 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X