Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sweet September

Good morning...

I'm back! We had a great time, cloudy weather, sunny weather, rainy weather, in five days we had it all. Loved being with my brother and sister-in-law and enjoying the ocean. However, I ate dairy, cream cheese and a creamy soup and had an allergic reaction: congestion, swelled lips, hot flashes. It was the last day and I was happy to get home and eat vegan again. I am already so much better, I have to really watch my food intake, it was scary. I have steroids and may take them for a couple of days, not sure yet.

Lav, it has really cooled off here, love it, sixties today and maybe some rain. Sorry about your allergies, this really stinks. I knew I was sensitive to dairy, but this was really intense. It kind of built up over a few days, and I did not respect the signals. Now I am. I agree about not working outside due to poison ivy, it seems to get worse over time. I liked the recipe you shared with hummus and guacamole, I am going to try that.

Cyn, good to be back home. You have been very busy, so sorry that virus took so long to leave. Are you reading anything good right now? I read the book club book and it was so bad I may quit. We have a lady who does not want to read any intense books, so we have ended up reading lousy books and I am done. It was a stupid romance book, I am so over those. What is there to discuss? I am going to suggest an autobiography for the next month and if another goofy book is chosen, I am out of there. Life is too short.

Pauly, sorry about the allergic reaction to the wax, ouch that sounds painful. I am ready for fall now, it is September 1st. Oops, I will start a new thread. Here it is.

Have a great AF Friday.

Edit / Delete Edit Post Quick reply to this message Reply Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

Re: Sweet September

Morning friends,Star welcome back I second you on the boring romance book,I read those in my 20's! Now I like page turners and funny crime solving books,eye still looks weird,not as puffy but red bump is redder,Cyn,I've read about methylation before but its over my head,seems I have symptoms of high and low,how do you treat it? Diet? Supps? Glad you're feeling better Lav,I can't wait to see your gardening hazmat suit haha! Kell told me yesterday she's been depressed, she was depressed while pregnant with Lou too but I think its worse this time cuz our shite summer and her bf's attitude has gotten so crappy, I don't know how to help her feel better,its hard to look on the bright side when you're in the midst of it,wishing us all a happy,healthy AF Friday Happy September!!
    I have too much shit to do today and tomorrow to drink:sohappy:

I'm taking care of the "tomorrow me":thumbsup:
    Drinkin won't help a damn thing! Will only make me sick for DAYS and that ugly, spacey dumb feeling-no thanks!

Comment

Good evening friends!

Happy September to everyone
      Nice & cool here, rain due tomorrow but Sunday & Monday are supposed to be nice. No family plans of course - the dysfunction goes on. I've actually been getting really mad about that lately because this is now officially been going on for one year this month. I just want to gather my family for a cookout the way I always did, damn.

Welcome back Star, glad you enjoyed your trip!
      Sorry about the allergy incident, it isn't easy especially when you are traveling. I hope you are feeling much better now.
      Talk about weird meals - our Amish friend handed YB a massive head of cabbage today as a thank you for something. I used only 1/4 of the head & made a big pot of vegetarian cabbage soup ~ delicious, dairy & gluten free. I pulled a loaf of pepperoni bread out of the freezer so YB would be happy, ha ha. He also brought home fresh picked corn so we had that too. I didn't know until this summer that baking ears of corn in the oven at 350 degrees for 30 minutes is the best way. All you have to do is trim off the ends of each ear, leave the husks on, wet them & put them right on your oven rack. Awesome

Pauly, I'm sorry Kell is depressed but it's good she told you. Try to make sure she speaks to her doc about it, OK? She can get some help, even while pregnant. The BF needs to be ignored if he's going to be an a$$hole. Sorry, that's just my opinion. I'm reminded that men get weird when you're pregnant. YB had me in tears every day during my second pregnancy. This was a completely planned pregnancy, nothing to be surprised about, he was just weird. I hope your allergic reaction is improving too.

Cyn, I am enjoying the cooler weather, a little rain is OK with me.
      After dinner tonight I went into my garden on the side of the deck (safe zone - no PI there) to trim back the black eyed susans. As I worked & clipped away I ran across a nest of 11 Junior sized eggs that my young chickens had deposited there at some point, ha ha!! I put them in the trash because I have no idea how old they are, lol. Silly birds
      I know you are happy to be putting on a few pounds, that's great. You are welcome to at least 10 of mine!!!

Have a nice night everyone!

Lav
      AF since 03/26/09
      NF since 05/19/09
      Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Good morning...

Well, I had a rough day yesterday, so I rested mostly. I tried to exercise but had to leave due to coughing and sneezing, so will stay home today too. I am definitely better though, just not enough, this is going to take time. I can't believe I reacted so strongly to dairy, that is very scary. I know I am on the right track with vegan/vegatarian, and will continue on this path.

Lav, I am so sorry your family is not making up, this is ridiculous. No easy answers for sure. It is so disrespectful to you and your husband. Does your daughter have other plans this weekend? My grandson is sick, a fever, and so we may not be able to get together. We have a boat rented for Monday though, so will go on that even if it is just my son, husband and myself. The weather is supposed to be warm and sunny, so that will be something to do. Hope things turn out better than you expect.

Pauly, so sorry your eye is still hurting, it takes time to go away. I feel badly that Kell is depressed, her boyfriend sounds difficult. Any plans this weekend?

Cyn, hope you are well and finding time for you.

Off to make my grocery list and plan my day. Have a good AF one.

Comment

Morning all!
          Star, welcome home . So glad that you had a good time - and so sorry about the dairy reaction! I have never had swelling on my face, but I definitely have the respiratory reactions. Wow, that is a true indication of inflammation! If we could see inside ourselves and see the inflammation that takes place, we might change our behaviors faster! I had some dairy when I was first fighting off this cold, and I might have escaped if I had been more careful. Good luck, and I hope you feel better soon!

Pauly, my take on methylation is just that some of us have a really hard time detoxing substances, and that toxic load builds up and we don't feel great. My guess is that all of us that of us that have had trouble with AL probably fit into that category, but I've never read much on that subject. I do remember reading '7 weeks to sobriety' years ago where the author was the first I heard to talk about staying away from chemicals in cleaners, etc. - that was part of her healing protocol. I now stay away from any processed food, and cleaning,stuff, anything with additives or chemicals. I have to just know that it's helping me -- sadly there's no obvious payoff!

Lav, those chickens have a sense of humor! So funny where they decide to make their 'deposits'. I keep looking at the yard and making lists in my head of what I should be doing - ha! That's not really moving the ball down the court! I am reading such interesting stuff about food absorption and bone health... I think my next test with be DX scan to see where I stand right now -- the puzzle of my health challenges seems to be coming into place, maybe. I'm seeing that everything is totally related in our bodies, we can't fix one thing without checking the other parts! Thank goodness for the Functional Medecineapproach. I can't afford to see one, but there's such great info online, as you know. I'm starting to see that it may be good for me to back away from grains for awhile to heal what needs healing... we'll see!

Wishing all a well and happy AF Saturday -

Comment

Morning friends,jeez Star I guess dairy really is not good for you at all! Its really hard to know,like Cyn says if we could see inside ourselves and see what's really going on it would be so much easier but them the more I read about certain foods the more confused I get! Some nightshade veg can be bad,some peeps don't do well on beans,grains,dairy,meat aaah it makes my head explode! I still haven't found my healing foods,I've been trying to increase my fiber but it's leading to an uncomfortably poofy belly Lav,I am so sorry that this b.s with DIL is going on for a year now,sheesh I wonder what she's like to live with? Your son must watch every step,either that or he's so busy working he doesn't have to deal with her much,sorry to talk shit about her but it kinda makes me angry how you've been treated, anyhoo wishing us all a happy,happy AF Saturday

Drinkin won't help a damn thing! Will only make me sick for DAYS and that ugly, spacey dumb feeling-no thanks!

Comment

Good evening friends,

It's so nice to see all of us posting on the same day - it's been a while
              Total washout rain day here so I've just been putzing around inside, ha ha!

Star, I really think the hormones they feed the cows to keep producing milk are very harmful to us. The GMO feed they give the cows hurts our guts & the fats in milk clog up our arteries. So why do we keep consuming the stuff? Sheer habit most likely. I have to admit I still miss having a bit of really good cheese or yogurt from time to time but am living better without dairy. I hope you feel better soon!
              My daughter worked Thursday, Friday & today so tomorrow she is likely going to need time to catch up at home. I know she is getting the little one ready to start first grade on Tuesday & also get the girl scout troop organized for another year. That's what happens when you work per diem, ha ha! Who knows, we may be able to squeeze in a visit too.

Cyn, I had a horrible reaction decades ago to that old cleaner Pine Sol. I thought I was going to cough myself to death, never used it again
              At the same time I realized that if I pumped my own gas I got severe blinding headaches, ugh. I also had terrible reactions to that crap exterminators used to spray around institutions where I worked, nasty. I have no tolerance for chemicals, this I know for sure.
              I agree with you, I like all the info available online re functional medicine. We're pretty smart, we can help ourselves, right?
              If you do get a dexa scan done just be prepared for a lecture about needing to take biophosphonates. I had horrible, horrible reactions......don't go there, please.
              I stopped getting the scans for a while then found the plant based calcium supplement True Osteo. After taking that for a few years there was a slight improvement in my bone density. I don't think I'm going to bother with any more testing in that department.
              My chickens spent the day cooped up so I gathered all 9 eggs right from the nest boxes, lol

Pauly, you have to be careful to add fiber to your diet slowly. It takes time for your gut to adjust but it will. I have problems if I eat too much raw food so I have to plan accordingly. It's all a pain while you're in discovery mode but once you figure out what you can tolerate it gets better.
              My DIL has turned my family upside down but I am not focusing on her. I just want to be sure that my son & the boys are OK. Communicating with him is not an easy task but we continue to try. I hope your daughter is doing OK. Loved the sonogram - very cool

Lav
              AF since 03/26/09
              NF since 05/19/09

Comment

Good morning...

I felt so sick yesterday, I went to bed at 8:30 and woke up at 7 am so hoping I am better today. I am freaked out by the nuclear BS going on in North Korea, causing an earthquake, 5.7. Really scary. Not sure what 45 will do except bluster and that is not what we need, although I am not sure what to do when crazy people have this kind of power to blow up the earth.

Lav, hot and sunny today here, I could use a rainy day. I am going to take it easy again today if I can. Your daughter sounds busy and happy, hope you can meet up. If not it would be great to take a drive or something. Your analysis of why dairy is so bad for us makes sense. I am staying away from all that stuff. I bought a coconut non dairy non soy ice cream and it was pretty good, expensive though, but I have to have treats sometimes.

Pauly, hope you can relax today and have some fun. I am supposed to take the grandsons overnight, but not sure I am up to it, we'll have to see. I really just want to rest, but hate to miss family time.

Cyn, any plans this weekend? Regarding dairy reactions, I started out with nasal stuffiness, then kept eating the same stuff till it caused swelling in my face, so I was not listening to my body. I have to be careful with cleaners too, or can have reactions to those chemicals.

Have a great AF Sunday.

Comment

Morning friends,Star that NK guy may be even scarier and more nutty than DT! Pisses me off that DT still gets on TV and talks about"the wall" dude get your priorities straight! We have a madman with nukes and you're still worried about a wall that's never gonna be built,its impossible, first of all there's no money for it,second there's land that can't be built on,third it'll take YEARS and DT will never live to see it even if it were built! I think he keeps harping on it to keep his supporters riled up,sorry for the rant,I was reading how,we develop intolerances as we age sometimes and I've noticed that hubs and other friends nearing their 50's can't do red sauces like pizza,spaghetti,etc my coworker said it came after she turned 45 so that means next year my life will suck cuz pizzas my fave Lav I noticed you said you made chicken tacos for YB on the other thread,do you eat any meat at all? Fish? I wish I liked fish other than canned tuna,Cyn what do you have planned for today? I want to go to the park to see the peacocks but I dunno how hot it'll feel,I don't care about me but pregnant girls,little Lou and hubs don't do to well if its too hot,especially the crabby pregnant chick haha,wishing us all a happy healthy AF Sunday,,,to the light!

Comment

Morning all -
                    Happy holiday weekend - I hope everyone has a little comfort in their lives this weekend.

Star, so sorry you don't feel well still, shoot. Take your time to heal. Hey, a good way to make soft ice cream substitute is a product called 'yonana', you use a frozen banana as a base, and add other frozen fruits and stuff and it makes a yummy treat. It's about $40 at Target.

Pauly, I hope you find something cooler and fun to do this weekend. I remember always being frustrated with how hot September was in the desert. I recall lots of 105 days, sheesh! I know how confusing all the food info is - I guess we each just have to listen closely to our own bodies, try eliminating and adding back in, and going slowly. It's a pain! But worth it in the end with a payoff of feeling good as we age, instead of walking into a lot of disease.

Lav, oh gosh re: bone health, I was diagnosed with osteopenia in my 40s and took 5 years of Fosomax or whatever. Fortunately at that point the doc took me off, as it that is the max time allotted. I will never go back on those drugs - I think a lot of the stuff I am dealing with now could be a result of being on that drug for so long. But I am concerned that I might have upper spine fractures, so I will have a spinal image as well as the regular dx scan, and it will also help to track down this continuing acidosis. My last dx test did not look so great, so it's time to check in and see if there is a connection there to muscle wasting and weight loss. All just good info at this point. Oh, and I meant to say that I am sorry as well for the continuing drama in the family... good for you for not obsessing over something you can't control, but it WOULD be nice if it all just cleared up and things could be relaxed again. Sending you hugs.

Well SD is on her way home after 24 hours, and all the drama connected to that is dissipating, thank goodness. Now HB and I can really relax and enjoy the rest of the holiday weekend. I love that girl, but she seriously needs to take her issues now to a therapist, I hate the uproar! Whew, nice and quiet... Rain rain, rain, here. But we need it, and it makes for a comfy, in-house day. Yay!

Wishing all a bit of peace. And let's enjoy every moment of our days and live in the present - who knows what the future holds; there's so much we don't control... gratitude and being present we actually CAN control. Here's To Today!

Comment

greetings all, can't seem to find the weekly log-in spot...still doing something wrong it seems.

Tgirl, great words: gratitude and being present we actually CAN control. Here's To Today!

Pauly, look up paleo almond pizza...it's fantastic especially with rosemary. I really haven't been eating enough lately
                      and I think it's stress/blues from financial worries. I need to find a way to prevent the circulation of stupid pieces of green
                      paper controlling my well being. Not easy.

Lav, you can't have a family get-together? that's no fun but I know family drama can be overwhelming. I'm in a state of mixed-blessings
                      being so far from family. Of course on a holiday weekend I miss them very much. sigh.

Snoopy have you tried any anti-inflammatory supps such as turmeric/curcumin? the trials on it are fantastic. Make sure you get one that includes
                      black pepper extract (pepperine I think) as it greatly improved metabolism.

I've been doing diddle-squat this weekend, just trying to stay in and not spend any gas money. Thankfully I enjoy documentaries so I've been streaming TED
                      talks, philosophy and anthropology videos. I'm fine with that and find them satisfying. I've a goat curry in the crockpot since noon so hopefully that will
                      perk my appetite.

take good care everyone
                      nosce te ipsum
                      (Know Thyself)

Comment

Greetings friends!

Today was nice, cool & sunny. We did end up with a ton of rain yesterday.
                        I opened the gate to let the chickens roam early, I felt sorry for them being cooped up & confused all day yesterday, ha ha!

Star, sorry you are still feeling sick, that sucks.
                        I feel like I spend an inordinate amount of time thinking about food, shopping, cooking, etc all in an effort to feel 'normal'. Long gone are the days of mindless consumption huh??
                        I happen to have an ice cream maker but there are tons of dairy free recipes out there you can make in your food processor with frozen bananas & coconut milk & just freeze in a covered container. I often stir in dairy free chocolate chips (Enjoy Life), toasted coconut & anything else I can find
                        The supermarket dairy free ice creams are expensive & some of them have additives I don't want. We do all deserve a treat once in a while.

Pauly, did you end up finding a cooler outdoor activity today? I would not be able to cope with all that heat. I am not part lizard like you, ha ha!
                        I try to keep my meat consumption to a minimum, just a few small servings per week. I am reluctant to eat fish because most of it is contaminated according to what I've read. You should go easy on canned tuna - it is contaminated with mercury although it may be getting better according to what I read recently:
                        Tuna's Declining Mercury Contamination Linked to U.S. Shift Away from Coal - Scientific American
                        Meat, fish & dairy are all acidic, inflammatory foods & I try to stay away from that stuff in order to help my bones heal.

Cyn, it was Fosamax that made me so incredibly sick, I just couldn't deal with it at all. I was curled up on the sofa for days after each weekly dose feeling like I had some viral infection or something, I won't even go into details of what it did to my gut, ugh.
                        I am convinced that a mostly alkaline diet, weight bearing exercise & the plant based calcium that we can actually absorb & utilize is all we need!!!!
                        I'm sorry your DIL is a pain in the a$$ too!! These grown women need to learn to take care of their own stuff & leave everyone else alone!

Still no plans with any family but it's not really a big deal. I miss gathering my clan together for a celebration but I can't do anything more than I have already done.

Lav

Hey there Det - you snuck in on me
                        I hope the goat curry is good (please don't invite me over for goat, haha)
                        I'm like you in that I lose my appetite when I am feeling down. I am amazed at people who try to eat their way into a better mood.
                        You hang in there & be patient with yourself - everything is going to be OK
                        Last edited by Lavande; September 3, 2017, 07:32 PM.
                        AF since 03/26/09
                        NF since 05/19/09

Comment

Good morning...

Except for the news, I am feeling better each day, but not 100%. I was able to sleep again last night so that is a plus. Enjoying a cup of coffee right now.

Cyn, nice that you are enjoying the rainy day, sorry about SD having problems, hope she gets the help she needs. It is difficult when someone you love is in distress.

Lav, I agree, no meds for me, I have to watch my diet, that's it, keep it plant based and simple. We are supposed to go on a rented boat today, so we'll see who shows up. Family was invited, I feel that it will be fun and will try and keep it easy.

Pauly, we are going to have a hot day today too. I am ready for fall, it can't come soon enough.

Det, sounds like a cozy time off, resting and watching good documentaries, good for you. Take care.

Have a great AF Labor Day.

Comment

Hello all -

Sunny here today - it's amazing how one dark, rainy day can make one feel the generosity of the sun again when it comes out.

Pauly, how's things? I hope you find a good activity today -- not so easy in the heat. Good luck!

Star, so glad you are better and finally got some sleep, that's great. I hope your family time is good - being on the water sounds great. It looks like it will be getting warmer here this week - I am hoping to get a little paddle board time in if it warms up enough. I haven't used it once this summer!

Det, watching TED talks is a great idea, I must try that. The British murder mysteries we are watching now are fascinating and well photographed and acted, but they aren't a good choice for me before sleep! (Shetland, Hinterland). TED talks can be so inspiring

Lav, I am sure that those 5 years of weekly whatever-drug-it-was allegedly for my bones has been a contributing factor in my gut health. I think you were put on Fosamax in the early days of this thread, right? I remember you talking about how hard it was on your system. Along with the massive dozes of naprosen that was proscribed for me for arthritis in those days, it's no surprise I guess that I have a lot of repairing to do. If only functional medicine had been there a few years earlier! Oh well, better late than never. I'm with you - just thinking about food and preparing it is a big job. And now I am measuring everything and recording calories, uuugh. I'll do it for now, but if I start disliking food because of all the details, I'll stop... enough!

Well, I am achey today, which for me means I haven't moved around enough. So... some gardening this morning and then maybe a little hike with HB later. So grateful for the good weather.

Happy trails today everyone.

Comment

Morning friends,Star,no meds for me either unless its a life or death situation! They're always releasing new meds to help something then its subject to lawsuit years later,meh I'll pass,they have that new shingles shot out now I don't know about that stuff,might make people sicker woke up starving that what I get for having sugar after 6! Hubs bought me an early b-day cake yesterday and I couldn't stop eating it,think the extra slice did me in,Cyn I love your positive vibes Det,where is your family anyways? Seems I've known you for forever yet know nothing about you haha,Lav,I think the plant based calcium should be more commonly known about than stupid caltrate! They do that same thing with magnesium, the drugstore only sells mag oxide which the body can't use,peeps hear about the benefits of mag and unless they go to a specialty store,thats all thats available, really dumb,wishing us all a happy labor day AF of course

Comment

Working...
                              X