• Time
  • Show
Clear All

One Year!

Yesterday was ONE WHOLE YEAR!!
    365 days!
    52 weeks!
    12 months!

Thank you MWO for being my beacon of light and never giving up on me. Every time I came crawling back ashamed, broken, desperate for understanding, and hoping to find a way...you were here.

And I did find my way because of MWO.
    Literally one fricken day at a time.

That last night I drank a whole year ago...I still think about it. It was a Friday. I stopped after work and bought wine. I was crafting for an upcoming Scout event. I was drunk when my husband and son came home. But I was happily crafting away.
    Safe in my home with my family.
    Suddenly it was 3am the next day and I woke up with a terrible fright. What happened? OMG my head...oh I did it again...you get the picture. I stumbled into the kitchen to drink water and I saw crafting stuff all over. I walk past my living room and I don't see my car. WHAT? Where is my car? THINK!!
    Tiny flashes assault me...liquor store, then driving to a bar as to not upset the family apparently..drinking vodka in my car...drinking at the bar...OH! That's where my car is!
    Somehow I had the sense to call my brother to come get me and bring me home. He did. The next day my husband took me back to get it. Inside the car, on the front seat lay the half drunk bottle of vodka in the paper bag.
    I went home and drank that vodka. I knew that I was saying goodbye to alcohol but I drank it anyway. I finally accepted that I could never just have one, and that I could never go back again.

I slept for the weekend. I'm pretty sure I checked in here. I still don't remember everything that happened, that night was all a black out. I do know that I am not allowed back in that bar. I do know that my husband refused to come and pick me up. I do know that I could have had an accident or DWI.
    I do know that something snapped inside of me and I did not care what happened to me. (Others yes, but not myself) And I had a gut wrenching feeling that I was spared some terrible catastrophe. I could have easily died in a horrible crash just like my dear brother did. I could have killed someone. But somehow, God helped me get home and I never drank again.

And I pray every day that I never will again.
    Day 1 again 11/5/19
    Goal 1: 7 days :heartbeat:
    Goal 2: 14 days :happy2:
    Goal 3: 21 days :happy2:
    11/27/19: messed up but back on track
    12/14/19: bad doozy but back on track

One day at a time.

Re: One Year!

Congratulations Nursie!
    I have too much shit to do today and tomorrow to drink:sohappy:

I'm taking care of the "tomorrow me":thumbsup:
    Drinkin won't help a damn thing! Will only make me sick for DAYS and that ugly, spacey dumb feeling-no thanks!

Comment

Happy 1st birthday Nursie, a wonderful fantastic achievement and you wont ever drink again if you keep doing what you are doing. Your story sent shivers down my spine, mainly due to the "what could have happened" scenario. My blackouts were horrendous at the end and also got me to finally realise i was done with al. All the hard work started from then but what a joy it has become to live it all sober. So proud of you and keep up the great work.

Have a happy day.
      AF free 1st December 2013 - 1st December 2022 - 9 years of freedom

Comment

Nursie,

Congratulations to you on your one year birthday. Your post brought tears to my eyes - I am so very happy and proud of you. I really think your post belongs in the tool box. Would you please consider putting it there?

And I’m with you on thanking God too.

Way to go.:thumbsup:
        Mary Lou

A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty. Winston Churchill

Comment

You made me cry with your post. MWO saved us both. :hug:

Congratulations!!!
          "Only I can change my life. No one can do it for me.".....Carol Burnett
          AF - 7-27-15

Comment

Wow, Nursie, what a powerful post!! Thank you for taking the time to share it with us. It would be an amazing addition to The Toolbox. Imagine the people you've helped here today.:hug: CONGRATULATIONS ON ONE YEAR AF!!!!:yay::applouse:

My apologies for the goofy, mixed-up Font sizes! LOL
            Last edited by Rusty; November 5, 2017, 07:33 PM.

Comment

CONGRATS ON 1 YEAR AF NURSIE!!! :welldone: :thumbsup:
              AF since 03/26/09
              NF since 05/19/09
              Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Dear Nursie!

Congratulations! I admire your determination and persistence, and I appreciate your honesty and support as well. That post gave me pause.

I hope you're celebrating, crafting, hugging your family - whatever you want to do to reward yourself!

With respect, pride and admiration!
                xoxo
                Pav

Comment

Quitting and staying quit isn't easy, its learning a whole new way of thinking. It's accepting a new way of life, and not just accepting it, embracing it...
                  Worry about tomorrow, tomorrow. Just get through today. Tomorrow will look after itself when it becomes today, because today is all we have to think about.
                  Friendship is not about how many friends you have or who you've known the longest. It's about who walked into your life, said "I'm here for you", and proved it.

Comment

Here is to year 2 Nurse, delighted you found your freedom.
                    Ethanol is a toxic chemical, why would I drink it?

Comment

Congratulations N-Dawg! You raaawk! :yay:
                      Last edited by Guitarista; November 6, 2017, 07:54 AM.

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

Congratulations to you, Nursie. I'm so very happy and proud of you..

Comment

CONGRATULATIONS Nursie," your post is very inspiring.

Comment

Congratulations!!!! That is wonderful!
                            Sober since: 8/27/2017 :yay:

Comment

Nursie, CONGRATULATIONS!!!! You deserve it! Your story touched a nerve for me. That we all keep going back for months when it’s plain to see the mess of it- that’s addiction. Thank you for your honesty and for digging your heels in an hour at a time..a day at a time to be where you are today. I’m so happy for you! ❤️
                              AF since January 7, 2014 *Never, never, never give up. ~ Winston Churchill*

Comment

Working...
                              X