Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I think i'm an alcoholic but i'm not sure!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think i'm an alcoholic but i'm not sure! I've convinced myself most of my adult life that I'm not because I've never missed a day of work, however I've gone to work feeling pretty crappy and sometimes blowout early so I can come home and nap before the kids get home from school, (pretty easy to do when you're in outside sales!). I keep telling myself I need to quit but don't have the want or the will power. I find myself in situations where I'm reaching for the ultimate feel good buzz then wake up the next day in a cold sweat trying to remember what I said to the people around me or what stupid thing I did to embarress myself that may have seemed like fun at the time. I had a close call a couple of weeks ago, I was pulled over for using my cell phone without an earpiece and the cop ended up letting me go, if he'd taken me out of the car for a breathalizer test I would surely have failed. I didn't drink for a whole 2 days after that, thought I could kick the habit after being so lucky but alas that wasn't the case. Please talk to me, give me advice, tell me your story. I'm an unhappily married mother of 3 beautiful kids who's just looking to lose the 'crutch' and become the beautiful person that's lurking inside of me!

Belle..............Welcome to MWO. You will find lots of support here. Read the posts and you will realise you are not alone with your struggle. It is great that you have decided to make a change. Lots of love, Bella xxxx

Comment

Belle,
      You`ve come to the right place. We`ve all been exactly where you are-myself until very recently. The support and encouragement I found here gave me the courage to start sorting myself out. Everyone here will help you all they can.

Best wishes,

Starlight Impress

Comment

Welcome Belle,

That must have been quite a scare, but sadly it takes a lot to make most of us decide to take control of our problem. Keep reading and posting. You will find lots of help here.

Comment

Welcome Belle, I have found after being with MWO for a while now that its a journey of self discovery. You decide what will be right for you, and then you decide as you go along what works, what does not et. I will say it is not easy and there is no magic, but anything in life work having takes time, effort et.

Glad your here,
          Sammys

Comment

Hi Belle and :welcome: ,

I would echo what Sammy's said it is certainly a journey of self discovery. You will find tremendous support here and lots of tools to help you.

Read as much as you can and post if you have questions, there are people all around the world here, so there is always someone, somewhere, who will try and be of help.

Wising you the very best of luck!

Kitty
            Our greatest glory is not in never falling but in rising every time we fall.
            Confucius

Comment

Belle,

Here, Here - Kitty hit the nail on the head. Lots of support here. IAD :welcome:
              ?Be who you are and say what you feel because
              those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.?
              Dr. Seuss

Comment

Thanks so far to all of you for your encouragement. This is the beginning of a new journey for me and I'll now look forward to coming home at the end of the day to share my stories, read yours and finally know there is a way out.

Comment

Hey Belle,

Glad you joined us tonight. There is a way out.

Comment

Welcome - I am new too and am finding great things here - support, resources, and experiences are helping me take a good look. Keep posting, explore the threads.....it takes some time at the computer (like everything else these days), but fit in in - maybe during your usual drinking times. For me, I had a social need, but still ended up alone with my glass of wine dialing friends on the phone..............

Now, there is this place to explore people's stories, to journal if need be, you can use this site for many things. Welcome!!!
                    "Go Placidly Amid the Noise and Haste"

Comment

Hey Belle

Welcome to MWO. I don't think that there is a "real" definition of alcoholic. Everyone is differen. For me it's because everyday I find an excuse to drink. Why can't I go by one day without drinking. Because it's an addiction I need to break.

Keep posting and reading. Let us know how you get on. Have you got a goal in mind whether to be AF or to abstain?

Mandy x

Comment

Hi Belle -

It really isn't important to decide whether or not to call yourself an alcoholic. All you need to know is that if you decide you want to stop drinking the way you are, and feeling the way you have been, you can. I was in a similar situation, also a mother, also very unhappy. I feel so much better now.

There's a lot of helpful information in the book, and a lot of support on the site. Good luck to you.

Comment

Welcome Belle and I loved you last line of wanting to become the beautiful person that's lurking inside. I also hated waking up in the morning wondering what was said, what had been done and if I caused myself any embarrassment I wouldn't remember but would have to answer for later on. I avoided conversations for fear of being "figured out". That was mainly with my family. What a great family life huh?

I am also a mother of 3 and one of my biggest motivations to get better was for my children and for myself. I needed to feel good about me again. And I do. Keep coming here and keep talking. It works. I was never a big talker and still am not with my family and friends at home but with my friends here I talk much more. It has done me wonders.

I wish you all the very best. Also I agree it doesn't matter what the label is whether you are an alcoholic or not. In your mind you have a problem and that's enough isn't it? Stick around, you've found a wonderful group of people.
                          "Keep your eyes and heart focused on the end goal at all times, and never settle for less."

Comment

Belle:

I am new here also. I have had the same problems you have. It is scary not knowing where I have been and what I have said. I never thought I would experience blackouts.

How do I stop?

akay
                            akay

Comment

I went in the pool with th kids last night, it was so hot and I was craving a beer. There was no beer in the house so i found some wine, part of my problem, got to drink so really doesn't matter. The first glass went down OK, so I poured another. That was it for me and i felt really good about not needing to finish the bottle! Oh, I forgot to mention that I'd ordered the Kudzu Rescue and L-Glutamine and have been taking it for 3 days. Could it be working or I am consciously making the effort I neede to start making a long time ago! have a great day everybody and thanks for 'talking to me'. Another part of my problem is I'm a Brit in the USA, been here fore 20 years and still incredibly homesick!

Comment

Working...
                              X