Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Joyous January

Happy New Year!!!!!

Lav, full moon today, and first day of the new year. It is so cold here, I don't do well with this extreme weather either. Your poor chickens. We have a bunch of geese at a small pond around here and they look miserable. Let's make soup and stay warm today.

Pauly, so good to hear from you. I tried to PM you and your box is full, so just wanted to let you know. New year, new opportunities to make this an entire year of being AF. Let's do it. I was not 100% successful either, and want this to be the year I finally put it away forever for so many reasons. Sorry your Christmas was negatively affected by relapse. No good ever comes out of alcohol for me either. It was good to wake up feeling great today! Hope you did too.

Cyn, nice you had a day to regroup, take care, I am sure it is even colder up in NE. Thanks for sending me peace.

Skendall, hope you are doing well.

Have a good AF January 1, 2018.
    Last edited by Snoopy56; January 1, 2018, 07:39 AM.

Re: Joyous January

Morning friends and Happy New Year Star,yep a new year,new hope just gonna try to focus on the positive and stop being so negative! So what did you do last night? I honestly was in bed by 9,watched the NY ball drop and turned off the tv,fell asleep Michelle and her bf came over for a bit and drank beer with hubs,had hot wings but I didn't want them getting too buzzed for the drive home so I kind of shooed them out after a few hours,hubs made peace with her bf on Christmas so for that I'm a little grateful,the guy may be an ass but I'm sure Michelle plays a role in it too,I'm just glad we can spend time together now,Kell is a big,grouchy,ready to pop woman! She apologized to me yesterday cuz she feels like she's been snappy,we went to 4 different stores trying to find her a New year's dress,,nothing fit so she was upset about that poor thing,I just told her she's in the home stretch now and she'll have a healthy baby boy in a few days/weeks and it will have all been worth it I did happen to buy myself 2 sweaters and 2 nice shirts when we went though,,I'm so bad! Lav,Cyn,SK hope we all have a wonderful AF Monday
    I have too much shit to do today and tomorrow to drink:sohappy:

I'm taking care of the "tomorrow me":thumbsup:
    Drinkin won't help a damn thing! Will only make me sick for DAYS and that ugly, spacey dumb feeling-no thanks!

Comment

Pauly, we went to a sports event in the afternoon, out to an early dinner with our son, then watched TV and went to bed at 10 pm. Tried to watch the NYE stuff but it was boring and so bad. Feel good today and ready to take down the tree, clean, laundry, read and make some dinner. I may have to run to the store, but oh well. Looking forward to having my house back to normal. It always looks clean and sleek with the Christmas stuff gone. So happy you are back. Hey, it's great you bought yourself some new tops, I say if you are having a good shopping day, go for it. Poor Kell, the end of pregnancy is so uncomfortable 24/7. Let's enjoy our New Year's Day!

Comment

HAPPY NEW YEAR! Let's make it a good one.

I read an article in the NYT today ad it is still resonating! It was about willpower and it's not all cracked up to be what we hoped, maybe white knuckling it is a good description and that is so very stressful for a person. Self-control is the answer.
        They tried testing 2nd graders with marshmallows. If they could wait 5 min for one they would be given a 2nd marshmallow.
        Tracking the kids showed that the kids with self-control were happier and higher achieving.

I was so darned impulsive and I was in AA for a while and they had sayings like "don't drink even if your ass falls off" and "one more drink will kill you". I was practicing willpower to the best of my ability, but still obsessed about drinking.

So, practicing and using self control can be key for us. Meditation is excellent and "staying in the moment". After I relapsed I remember telling my sponsor "I don't know what happened". What happened was I wasn't thinking or practicing self-control, just drank.... I then drank at everything I resented.

Drinking is not the only compulsive act of course, shopping, smoking and food is also up there.

A friend of mine had 10 yrs. AA sobriety and one night at a party she grabbed a glass of champagne and drank herself back into drunken behaviour.

All of the calm thinking, etc. is a bonus and using willpower is very stressful on the body. Understand your stresses and try to resolve them before being impulsive. Take that hot bath, share your resentments with others light the soothing candle and give some time to yourself each day to re-evaluate. Self-control allows more gratitude and compassion.

Cyn, good idea on the ski pants. It was in the teens last night and at 3:30 a.m. there was a wicked north wind. It will be high 40's and low 50's in a few days.

Star, Peggy is a little rascal and I haven't been putting on her coat because I think she might want to come in sooner. Wrong! the cold seems to put a spring in her step. She has to move quickly to warm up and then just wants to sniff and wander.

Using the pads has not been successful. She was in a kennel for a long time and doesn't want to potty close to the apt. or anywhere she plays.

Vivian was over yesterday and we had fun. Apparently her mother brought up her having nightmares from being over here. Vivian was laughing and said it was like the marshmallow movie. If you're watching on the kid's channel it should be okay. I also bought her snowmen marshmallows to float on her hot chocolate and I asked her if that was fun. She told me her mother threw them out because they were stale. Ho hum. I called my daughter to see if she could have lunch this week and the answer was a long pause, so I told her to think about it and let me know.

At least the sun is out today.
        Enlightened by MWO

Comment

Good evening friends & Happy New Year

The frigid air is still here, ugh!
          Stepping outside for even a minute is too much, ha ha. My chickens said 'no way' again today & kept themselves confined in their house. They laid no eggs today, not a single one.

Star, I didn't get around to making soup today but I will tomorrow, for sure!
          The moon is huge & I hope I can block it out of my room so I can sleep. I am getting absolutely exhausted with this sleep one hour then wake up routine. The essential oil in the diffuser has not helped, figures ;( I've been taking the same herbal sleep preparation for many years & it's no longer helping. I hope my order for the sustained released melatonin shows up tomorrow. Keeping my fingers crossed.
          I think I have just about all of the Christmas stuff put away, yay!

Pauly, glad you are back & doing better.
          Dealing with adult kids can be difficult. We all seem to be having similar experiences.
          Keep your attention on you, the kids need to learn to take care of themselves. Loved Lou's dance moves, he looked like he was going to do a split, ha ha!

SK, I drank at everything/everyone I resented too. Once you get yourself into a cycle like that stopping is difficult. I got to the point where I honestly did not care about anything any more.......classic depression. The only thing that made a difference for me was the birth of my grandson 9 years ago. Finally I had a reason to be hopeful again.
          I imagine your daughter is harboring some resentment too. Wouldn't it be nice if she could just sit down & talk to you about it so you could work together on a fix? Relationships with our adult kids are hard. I hope you two can work something out. I'm glad you have Vivian in your life who seems to get you

Hello to Cyn, hope yo are staying warm.

Have a nice night everyone!
          Lav
          AF since 03/26/09
          NF since 05/19/09
          Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Good morning...

Brrrrr!!! It is freezing here, schools are cancelled, with wind chill -35 degrees. Too cold for me.

Skendall, interesting to thing about the difference between willpower and self-control. Thanks for sharing the info. So wonderful you and granddaughter had a lovely time together. Your daughter sounds grumpy. Darn it.

Pauly, back to work today? My hubby worked yesterday, but not as long. After dinner we watched college football. The games were fast moving, so fun to watch.

Lav, glad you kept warm yesterday. I made a cabbage soup and my own broth yesterday for the cooking class. It was so much work, but suprisingly tasty. Normally I hate cabbage, but this was actually good. Sorry about the sleep problems, I woke up too, and had a hard time falling asleep. I appreciated your comment, "the kids need to learn to take care of themselves," in regards to my son. I always worry about him, he is always having drama, and really I have no control, only he does. So, I will focus on that thought that he needs to learn to take care of himself. No matter what I do it is never enough. My daughter wants me to drive over and pick up my grandson, but I don't know because of the cold. I probably will though, I miss him. I put away all the Christmas stuff and when my husband came home he got the empty tree down and vacuumed so it is done. Relief and the feeling of space and clean. I like it. I am going to go to exercise this morning, so will start the new year taking care of myself. I think the key to not drinking ever again is knowing you will have a bad outcome. Period. Always. Wanting something better for yourself. It is never worth it. I also think that building skills when the cravings hit and making new neural pathways is key. This is the year for me.

Cyn, take care and hope to hear from you soon.

Have a great Monday.

Comment

Morning friends,woke up at 3 and couldn't fall back asleep,,surprisingly awake though but starving for some reason,Star,I took my tree and Christmas stuff down yesterday but my house feels naked! Think I'm gonna decorate a little earlier for valentine's day,yes drinking always turns out bad,so so stupid to let a beverage interfere with our lives when you think about it,its really dumb,I know I just have to get back on a steady path and like you said build those new pathways cuz this whole start/stop has got my brain all messed up I think,glad your soup turned out yummy Lav,I hate to say this but our temps have been nearly 70 degrees,seen on the news that the west is warmer than usual yet the east is colder brrr,Cyn,I need some of your inspirational posts,been missing you SK,hope you're feeling better,back to work today and a girl is supposed to be getting fired today cuz she's rude to customers,,,very rude but she's nice in a way,I dunno shall be interesting to see what happens,wishes for a happy AF Tuesday (even tho it feels like a Monday!)

Drinkin won't help a damn thing! Will only make me sick for DAYS and that ugly, spacey dumb feeling-no thanks!

Comment

Greetings friends,

Took me almost half the day to figure out what day it was, ha ha! These holidays confuse the elderly
                Still cold & now there's a coastal storm brewing up & we're getting snow Thursday, oh well. I feel bad that so many people are dealing with frozen water pipes & such.
                My Christmas gift from YB finally arrived today - an Instant Pot. (notice how he always buys mechanical gifts for me, ha ha).
                I've been reading about these things for a while & I really don't mind something that will help me prepare a healthy meal quicker than ever. I cooked up a batch of brown rice tonight for it's maiden voyage - turned out perfect
                Still can't let my chickens out - saw a hawk sitting on the roof of the chicken house today & also saw the fox creeping around next door again.

Star, thinking back to 9 years ago when I first arrived here......
                I was scared sh*tless, confused as to how I got myself in such a mess & mostly I was fearful on how I was going to handle/confront my fears without a crutch. Some of the others convinced me to just 'take the leap & do it anyway'. I did, I lived & the rest is history! I really don't think we give ourselves enough credit. We are strong women & we do know what we want & what we need to do to get there. Just take the leap & trust that everything will be OK because it will be OK

I've been saving a recipe from www.connoisseurusvegan.com for Slow cooker vegan lasagna soup - think I'll see if I can figure out how to make it in my new instant pot!

Pauly, I'm glad you are having 70 degree weather. I think you would croak over here on the right coast, ha ha!! It's SO cold, not even funny.
                I hope the work drama wasn't too awful today. Just keep your focus on you & your family, that's all that really matters right now.

Cyn, hope you are not frozen!!!

SK, did it warm up in your area yet?

Have a peaceful & warm night everyone!

Lav
                AF since 03/26/09
                NF since 05/19/09

Comment

Hi guys, thanks for your patience with me. I should be back posting tomorrow night or Thursday. I worked New Years Eve, then New Years Day and today as well. I am pooped. An 80 mile round trip, for starters, then elderly people who can't stay on track more than a minute, but who can blame them? And my poor pup is really having a hard time being left alone so much! Because I've had no time to put anything away (this started on December 26th, right after I drove HB to the airport) the dog helped himself to a Christmas decoration today to show me how displeased he is with my behavior! Can't say I blame him.

So.... off at 7 AM tomorrow to get there before the movers... please cross fingers and send good energy my way, it may be a chaotic tough day, but hopefully all will go well and I will be DONE!

Cheers all - stay well and happy --

Comment

Good morning...

Still cold but only -4 not -35 and that is a huge difference. Grateful.

Cyn, I don't know how you do it. Hopefully the move will be completed soon and you will be able to be home a little bit more. Take care.

Pauly, glad you got your decorations down, it does leave the house with a different feel and much darker with no lights. Oh well. Hope their was little to no drama at work. I am just determined to make 2018 a totally AF year, I have to, it is time. I know what I have to do, I just have to do it. Let's do it together. No matter what, I don't drink. We can do this.

Lav, I have not even taken my Instant Pot our of the box yet. Working on finishing the FOK cooking class, it is alot of work, I spent the last two afternoons creating recipes, taking pictures and posting them. Also, reading and going through a bunch of lessons. Just two chapters less, so will try to get another one completed this week. I love this class, learning so much. I made a sweet oil-free balsamic dressing yesterday and it was really good. I love salads and have not been good about using the best dressings. Now, no excuse. I know what you mean about facing your fears regarding drinking, and I want this to be it, done, no more. Ever, option off the table. I am doing alot of self-reflection about what I want in my life and who I want to be. Oh, I wanted to mention I went to lunch with a couple of former work friends and two more people quit. Half the staff has left in the last eight months. I feel vindicated in so many ways, I was the one who said no more being treated like this. Now, what to do with the rest of my life. Sorry you are going to get hit with another storm, get that food in the house and use the instant pot, be cozy and warm. I cancelled with my daughter yesterday, it was just too cold, and took care of myself. I enjoyed the day. I noticed I am OK/good with more alone time, pursuing interests, and do not feel the need for more business. That could just be winter.

Hello Skendall, hope things are going well.

Happy Hump Day to all, let's make it AF.

Comment

Morning friends,Star,I really love reading your post this morning cuz its very positive on the AF front maybe we need to talk it out more here on the thread,I always just try to sweep alcohol talk under the rug but why? If this is an alcohol avoidance site we should maybe be giving each other tips,tricks,etc,in the end its down to us individually to make the decision not to drink but I know I need to be more vocal when I'm feeling that pull ya know? Up very early again,,think hormones,I always get shoddy sleep right before TOM but its ok,yesterday was a shitshow at work with my friend firing the girl,she begged for her job back then my friend said she'd give her a week to work on her customer service,,not 3 minutes after my friend left they all started talking crap about her,how she was incapable of the job of management,she's a b*'ch etc,so Kell text her telling her what they were saying and my friend called the girl and said finish out the day then you're done,,,gossip is a hard one cuz you know you shouldn't be participating but when you're friends with someone its very hard not to tell them what everyone is saying behind their back but Kell's known my friend since she was 11 and I of course feels loyal to her,besides those girls really do act evil! LB flies back to Portland tonight then she'll be back on the 11the for Kell to hopefully be having the baby,,see who comes first haha,Cyn,you're such a busy woman,I still need to borrow your energy Lav,have fun with the instant pot,I've heard them talk about those on mfp,some like them some don't,SK,hope your day is bueno,wishes for a great AF Wednesday

Comment

Quick hello. The move is done, my elderly friends are grateful, and I escaped unscathed. Now to get rid of the 3 carloads of stuff I took out of their house! Ah well, at least no more driving windy country roads in the dark, whew.

This morning as I left at 7 AM, it was the most glorious sight - the moon was still high and huge in the west, the sun was just rising, and the sky was 360 with various pinks. What a great day to be alive !

But now I am pooped -- I'll hopefully be back to 'normal' tomorrow-- in the meantime, wishing all well ---

Comment

Hello.

Pauly, lots of excitement in your work for the New Year!

I don't see why alcohol cannot be discussed here? Even those of us with long term sobriety should be pulling people up with their experience, and offer hope to others. My thoughts of alcohol diminish quickly. Longer sobriety helps us to not obsess about alcohol and kick it to the curb, and I wish that for you.

19 deg. here today. I got up with Peggy about 1:30 a.m. and she treed 2 racoons and wouldn't come back in! She was so proud of herself and wanted to keep at it. I had to come back in, add clothes and go back out, I was awake till past four.

Star and Lav , keep us updated withe new pots.

Back to the grind Cyn. Give the puppy extra loving when you can.

It was Vivian's birthday yesterday and I bought her a sparkly kids bracelet of swakosrky (sp) with color stones. I had another gift for her party, a pet for her American doll, but her friend had given her that, so off to get something else.

I tried going today, but car is stalling and won't hold an idle. I went on Honda Repair and saw videos of fixing it by "jiggling the key" to taking off gas cap to release pressure. Honda's fuel pumps hardly ever fail but it could be the starter. Heck, if jiggling the key doesn't work, I'm using Uber. Before I had the accident that hurt me, some guy hit me from behind, and even though I wasn't at fault on the 1st one, My ins. is $2600/yr. It will go down in June, but I will still do better if I Uber for 6 months, but then I can't take Peggy, so I'll do a re-think.

Trump vs, Bannon hahaha. Both accusing each other of losing their minds, and that is true.
                          Enlightened by MWO

Comment

Good evening friends,

Had fun playing with the instant pot again today, made that vegan lasagna soup recipe I mentioned - very good
                            I also spent the day baking seed treat rings for the chickens to keep them occupied while they are cooped up. They have a tendency to get on each other's nerves when they can't go outside, ha ha!
                            The weather folks keep changing the predictions for snowfall totals with this monster storm so who knows what we'll get in the end?

Star, I highly value my quality alone time - believe me!
                            YB hasn't been as busy as usual so he's been hanging around the house making a mess. This morning he dropped a full 20 oz Yeti cup full of coffee on the living room floor. I don't need that first thing in the morning!
                            Glad you are enjoying your class. I made that soup today with no oil, you should take a look at the recipe.
                            A hostile workplace is somewhere I don't want to be anymore either. You did the right thing looking out for yourself.

Cyn, are you prepared for tomorrow's monster arrival???
                            Glad you got the old folks situated, geez. I do appreciate a nice sunrise too. I watched many of them while working night shifts
                            Your dog should be happier now that you can spend more time at home. Funny how they get moody, just like people.

Pauly, I'm sorry if we don't discuss quitting strategies often enough. It's not something that I even think about anymore really. In March it will be 9 years for me so it's all basically history in my mind. Yesterday I saw a post on FB from Thirtythousanddays.org that made me think of you - Five Things to Do to start the New Year Right by Gregg Krech. I'll send you the link on FB too. I highly recommend his books, "The Art of Taking Action' is great!
                            I hope everything goes as planned with your girls. Of course that depends on what the new baby wants to do, right?
                            I hope the work drama dies down now, enough!!

SK, Sorry about the ongoing car troubles, that's a shame.
                            I'm sure the bracelet will be a big hit with Vivian, nice. Funny, my daughter's birthday is on the 19th & I just ordered a birthstone bracelet today for her on Etsy!
                            Do you suppose Peggy is hearing the wildlife wandering around outside at night & that's why she wants to go out. I am almost positive that's why Matilda will occasionally want a middle of the night outing

Have a nice cozy night everyone!

Lav
                            AF since 03/26/09
                            NF since 05/19/09

Comment

Good morning...

Pauly, I am taking it one day at a time regarding being AF and eating WFPB. I want to be healthy and feel good, period. Being AF and eating WFPB work for me in feeling healthy. I want to be like Lav and not have to even think about it. I don't always discuss it because I feel ashamed I have been here for 10 years and still not where I want to be. Good for Kell in letting the new manager know about the back biting employees. That would be a hard environment to work in if the negativity was directed against you, but even to hear it would be upsetting. Hope today is better.

Skendall, your little granddaughter sounds so cute, happy birthday to her! Your car is really a lemon, can you trade it it for one that works? What a source of stress for you.

Cyn, hope you are paid well for all the work you do. Do you just take all the stuff to Goodwill to get rid of it? Heard NE is bracing for a big storm. Still so cold here and it is not fun anymore.

Today I am waiting for a call from Menard's to deliver some appliances to our son's place, have to be there, then working on the cooking course. I am almost done. Next project is learning to work on ancestry info. I decided one thing I love is to keep learning, always. Have a great AF Thursday.

Comment

Working...
                              X