New

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New

Hello all, my handle is Seeker1. I have been drinking for 4 decades and fighting this addiction since I was 19. I have made great strides over the last decade in reducing my intake and having the goal of abstaining fully. I am a binge drinker now, there was a time I was a daily functioner, but I finally broke that circle a few years ago. Binge drinking sucks also. I have still hurt all those that love me. This Christmas I had it all, been sober for awhile, felt strong and in control. Then I had a mini binge. Ruined everybody's plans, lost the trust of those I love most. I thought I was past that, but obviously I wasn't. Been to and involved in AA many times over the years, have done the steps and so on. Been to rehab so many times I lost count. I have made so many positive life changes and I am so much better, but I just can't drink. So I am 19 days since my last drink, and I know I need support. At first I thought I was going to have to go back to AA, or go back to rehab. But isn't the definition of insanity doing the same thing over and over expecting a different result? I mean no disrespect whatsoever to the hallowed halls of AA, it helps so many, but for me I need something else. I felt lost and alone. I know I can lick this thing, I want to so much. So I put in a search string "alternatives to AA" and found out that I'm not alone in my thinking there are thousands of you guys out there that feel the same. So here I am. Thank you for having me...

Re: New

Welcome, Seeker. An online forum like this lacks the power of face-to-face support but makes up for it in being available instantaneously 24/7. At any moment you can access help - there is almost always someone here because we come from all over the world. And even if no one answers you, just read back -- different people but the stories, problems, and solutions are pretty much the same.

Although you aren't entirely new to this, you'd be very welcome in the Newbies Nest, which is an active thread with people at all stages posting. There are other ongoing threads where you'd be most welcome, too. Just pop on in!

Anyway, glad your search engine found the site!! All the best, NS
    Last edited by NoSugar; January 5, 2018, 01:03 PM.

Comment

Thank you No Sugar.

Comment

Welcome Seeker, Sorry you suffered a setback over Christmas. You are definitely not alone! No Sugar is right to direct you toward the newbies nest. It is a great place to get started. And reading in the tool box thread is great, too. Looking forward to getting to know you.
        Dill

Don’t forget, you can: start late, start over, be unsure, try and fail AND STILL SUCCEED!

If it is important to you, you will find a way. If not, you will find an excuse.

Comment

Thank you dill

Comment

Morning Seeker and welcome. Your story with al is the same as us on here, we have no control over al and we all understand. I have not had experience with AA and nor did i want to, i came on here, i found the newbies nest, i posted like a lunatic, i made myself accountable each and every day and i listened to the oldies on here. Today i am happily sober, i have made so many cyber friends on here and i am still accountable each and every day to keep my sobriety in tact. I found a place that understood me and never judged me being an alcoholic and for that i am grateful.

Great work on 19 days, you will never ever regret getting rid of al out of your life completely.
            AF free 1st December 2013 - 1st December 2022 - 9 years of freedom

Comment

Thank you available. You hit the right word there...accountability. I've been thinking a lot about that and how did I let it slip away? I am so glad I found this site, and all you guys.

Comment

Pop onto the newbies nest Seeker. New threads are great but seem to get lost after a few days. Introduce yourself and have a read, lots of people pop in daily to post and read. There is also the roll call to count days if you need and lots of other threads that have regular posters all willing to say hi and welcome you.

Ps i used to love that show The Seeker. :-)
                AF free 1st December 2013 - 1st December 2022 - 9 years of freedom

Comment

Welcome Seeker. Great to see you here wanting to take back your precious life.

This might sound obvious, but for me, i've found that the enemy is within. I have had to look within to make useful change. It remains an inside job for me. Then there are outside supports like this forum which reinforce the fact i am never alone in this lethal struggle.

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

Thank you Guitarista for the so, so true words

Comment

:welcome: [MENTION=24107]Seeker1[/MENTION],

You can do this!.. My story runs similar paths. It's al the same shite!... Check out RX's if your consistently not meeting your goals. And don't give up! :hug:

Comment

Welcome, Seeker!

Welcome. Like NoSugar says, we are here 24/7, and that gives accountability.

My mantra is acceptance. I have accepted that I don't drink, that I CAN'T drink, and go about setting my life up accordingly. I was helped a lot by 1:1 counseling when I first quit - I could lie to myself, but it was hard to lie to a therapist I was paying for. It kept me accountable.

I'm sorry about your Christmas. The good news is that it doesn't have to happen again...

Pav

Comment

Sometimes I forget some of the tools and beliefs that help keep me sober. Acceptance, accountability. Parts of a firm foundation. Thank you Pavati and everyone else for your support and wise words. It helps...

Comment

Welcome aboard!
                            Links to Newbies Nest and the Tool Box are in my signature line below.
                            We are so glad you found us!
                            Looking forward to getting to know you. Byrdie
                            All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
                            Tool Box
                            Newbie's Nest

Comment

Welcome seeker. How are you doing today?

Comment

Working...
                              X