Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Allen Carr - Giving up Alcohol - Can't believe I hadn't heard of it!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Allen Carr - Giving up Alcohol - Can't believe I hadn't heard of it!

Hi guys, I recently finished one of Allen Carrs books on giving up alcohol, it has completely changed the way i view this addiction and drinking, Im sure many of you have heard of his books although I hadn't after 20 years of drinking but I've got to say, I've tried EVERYTHING...and this is the one and only tool that has ever changed the way I plan to tackle this beast, Its only been a very short time but my mindset is completely different this time, its very early for me but everything he says made perfect sense and its completely opened my eyes, has anyone else read his book? I would love to hear thoughts/experiences?
    sigpic
    Where ever you go, there you are

Re: Allen Carr - Giving up Alcohol - Can't believe I hadn't heard of it!

That book almost got me free, Wintyr, but it turned out I also needed the connections here. I think the book helped me do a great deal of the necessary work to change my thinking about the whole business, though - kind of primed me to do the final bit after I joined MWO. Have you finished the book and had your final, almost ceremonial, drink? Congratulations on AC opening your eyes!!

Comment

Hi NoSugar, yes I did, Im glad to hear it was so effective for you and I agree, the ability to talk and bounce of others is essential too, I was curious as its only fresh for me as to the long term effect of this book on those who have read it, I think everyone struggling should give it a go...even though its common sense he does flip the thinking process, for me the feeling of missing out on something was immensely strong so this book really spoke to me Thanks for responding.
      sigpic
      Where ever you go, there you are

Comment

Originally posted by NoSugar View Post
        That book almost got me free, Wintyr, but it turned out I also needed the connections here. I think the book helped me do a great deal of the necessary work to change my thinking about the whole business, though - kind of primed me to do the final bit after I joined MWO. Have you finished the book and had your final, almost ceremonial, drink? Congratulations on AC opening your eyes!!
        Same here NS - and the No Smoking one got me off the cigarettes.

Comment

I am almost finished with the book.. It is also why I joined this website. Day one here

Comment

:welcome: to MWO [MENTION=24225]JenGo[/MENTION]! And great to hear you’re making positive steps to an AF life! Day 1’s can be a bit rough, but stick around and read and post. Lots of good threads here to get involved in, and the people are even better than the threads! Good place to start is in the Newbie’s Nest under Just Starting Out, but you’ll be warmly welcomed on any thread you post to. Congratulations on taking the steps to create a better life for yourself and those around you! If you have any questions, don’t be afraid to ask, we’re all in this together!
            Quitting and staying quit isn't easy, its learning a whole new way of thinking. It's accepting a new way of life, and not just accepting it, embracing it...
            Worry about tomorrow, tomorrow. Just get through today. Tomorrow will look after itself when it becomes today, because today is all we have to think about.
            Friendship is not about how many friends you have or who you've known the longest. It's about who walked into your life, said "I'm here for you", and proved it.

Comment

Allen Carr is brilliant he wasn't however enough to get me to quit.
              I used the Sinclair Method to beat my alcoholic drinking.

Drank within safe limits for almost 2 years

AF date 22/07/13

Comment

Originally posted by YouKayBee View Post
                Allen Carr is brilliant he wasn't however enough to get me to quit.
                Hey Blondie - no one is enough to get us to quit - we have to want it ourselves, for us. IMVHO, of course. Why don't you drop by the Armys some time. We love to have visitors!!

Wintyr - I was going to welcome you to MWO but I see you joined some time ago. Wishing you the best in your quit. Sometimes it takes us a long time to get to that point, but when the time is right, that's when you'll do it.

For every 60 seconds that you are angry, you lose a minute of happiness.
                AF since 10/10/2015:yay:

Comment

Ordered this last night,had been meaning to but just kept forgetting or putting it off,,thanks
                  I have too much shit to do today and tomorrow to drink:sohappy:

I'm taking care of the "tomorrow me":thumbsup:
                  Drinkin won't help a damn thing! Will only make me sick for DAYS and that ugly, spacey dumb feeling-no thanks!

Comment

I LOVED the book! It made me feel sorry for those who drink (myself included obviously) I made me feel holier than thou (which is what I needed rather than feel like I was being left out)

I need to order the stop smoking one.

It just really puts everything into perspective.
                    The easy way to quit drinking?:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ow0lr63y4Mw

Comment

Originally posted by Overit-still View Post
                      It made me feel sorry for those who drink (myself included obviously) I made me feel holier than thou (which is what I needed rather than feel like I was being left out)

That's EXACTLY how I felt & still feel. It is what keeps me on track - that simple knowing that nothing is improved with alcohol.
                      Also how FAKE people become when drinking. Fake tears, fake compliments, over emotional - can't bear it any more.

Yes for the first 2 drinks there is that nice relaxed feeling ..... but it's chasing the same feeling after that to oblivion.
                      Wake up next day & do the same ------ MADNESS !!!

Comment

I have been on and off this site for many years trying desperately to figure a way to permanently quit. Allen Carr’s book changed everything for me. I no longer crave poison at night, or feel I’m missing out. I am so grateful for this book as it opened my eyes to the brain washing that 90% of people believe to be true about alcohol. Highly recommended if you seek the truth.
                        Allen Carr’s book changed everything for me. The easyway to control alcohol. Highly recommended

Comment

Working...
                        X