Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

July Army Manoeuvres

Morning all!

Its been a while since I started a monthly thread.

Cannot believe we are half way through the year. For me it has been a good one on the sobriety front. Yes, I slipped (hate that term btw) in Iceland, however, I will not let it floor me. I could easily have carried on but it is absolutely and categorically not where I want to be. I went to Tesco yesterday and easily navigated the wine isle for Mr S's bottle and onward to the ginger beer isle for me. No desire and no thoughts thankfully.

Off out to meet a friend for a dog walk shortly before it heats up. Yesterday I had my first lesson in Nordic Walking who would have thought walking could be so bloody complicated :haha:. Going to book a buddhist retreat for August with Chill providing I can get some time off work. That should be interesting. Dorm situation with strangers, meditation and yoga without the disruption of internet or social media in the beautiful suffolk countryside. Might push me out of my comfort zone but in a good way I think. In any event it should be interesting. All food is vegan, phones off and no booze plus some spiritual guidance. Sounds like a good thing to me!

Re: July Army Manoeuvres

Love the thread name, Starterooo. :welldone:

M&S do a fabulous rhubarb and ginger fizz and Belvoir ginger beer is to die for. And my favourite of all time Cherry Cola.
    It could be worse, I could be filing.
    AF since 7/7/2009

Comment

Good morning Army from a warm and sunny Greece!! Thought it about time I dropped into the barracks to see how things are going. Did a quick read-back and very happy to see that in general, things are well with all the troops. Things are as usual in Stirly-World. I'm overworked but business is going well. Loving my new apartment and my single life even tho' I don't have as much time as I would like to get things in order as they should be - still have some clothes and such that need to be relegated to various closets and drawers but hey, they can wait. There's more to life than an immaculate house. At least in my world.

Startypants - good for you on getting right back on the sober path. While we may feel disappointed by a wee side-step, I always believe that there is a lesson to be learned in each experience. This one showed you what you definitely do not want and that is a big plus. You have done brilliantly this year with both AL and the pills!!! Hope you manage to get away with Chill. I'm sure it will do you good on all points.

Satzy - sorry that you still are having your share of troubles. Not even the weather in Greece cooperated this year! At least you have a positive outlook on things (personally, I have never seen you post something cynical, just realistic). Hopefully your Mum will improve and along with that, that young Satz will at long last see the light and realize what he needs to do to turn his life around.

Jackie - congrats to your kids, you must be very proud. I hope they are happy in their new posts/jobs. I am happy to hear you are off the AD's. I often wonder how long people actually need to take them. Glad to see that the real you coming through - no more doormat for the JC family!

Mary - patience is all I can say - with cats and kids and lost keys!!! I'm sure your running helps you get rid of some of the stress.

RC - best of luck on with the real estate stuff and hopefully you will have a restful summer - batteries recharged and all that.

Rusty - hope the heat eases off and you can enjoy your walks and hikes.

I see that Molly and Tabbers dropped by - hope all is well - greetings to you both if your around!

Well, we finally have beach weather so if I manage to get done the zillion things that I need to do around the house, I may mosey on down and stick my toe in the sea!

Wishing you all a wonderful sober Sunday!!

For every 60 seconds that you are angry, you lose a minute of happiness.
      AF since 10/10/2015:yay:

Comment

How lovely to see you, Cirly Wirly Stirly Girly...........you're showing its never too late to get the life that you want. Enjoy every minute.

I'm very proud of the S&H and Jenny, they're good and kind people.
        Last edited by JackieClaire; July 1, 2018, 05:08 AM.
        AF since 7/7/2009

Comment

Mr JC and I are talking again. He was mortified when I finally calmed down enough to tell him how hurt I was. Listen I'll stop moaning.
          AF since 7/7/2009

Comment

Originally posted by JackieClaire View Post
            How lovely to see you, Cirly Wirly Stirly Girly...........you're showing its never too late to get the life that you want. Enjoy every minute.

I'm very proud of the S&H and Jenny, they're good and kind people.
            Good to see you, Jackie. I know I use the excuse of time for not posting here regularly but I will really try to get here more often. I miss the Army.
            Good that you are going back to AA. I forgot to mention it earlier. If that's what you feel you need, then good for you on recognizing it and going for it.

Kudo's to you and Mr. JC for raising fine people. Not the easiest thing to do. So many times circumstances beyond our control influence our kids and the way they turn out.

Mr JC and I are talking again. He was mortified when I finally calmed down enough to tell him how hurt I was. Listen I'll stop moaning.
            Good that Mr. JC understands how you felt and your concern. A lot of time our concern comes out as anger when really we were worried to death. Mr. Stirly never gets stuff like that and would just laugh it off. One thing he has never, ever understood is how his actions and the things he says affects other people. And I mean never. Still hasn't gotten it at 73 years old. Luckily my "special friend" is a listener and an understanding person. We have such a good communication that sometimes it freaks me out. I'll be standing at the cheese counter thinking that he would like that tangy goat cheese and my phone rings and it's him. Or we will simultaneously send messages to each other saying basically the same thing. Never, ever had that with Mr. Stirly. We were just never on the same wave-length. And after 43 years married FFS.

Comment

Meant to get back earlier but the S&H popped just to give his Dad his birthday card and then bless his heart him and me spend three hours sat on the big bed while he sobbed his heart out.

He's been holding things together pretty well since he got made redundant last Christmas and it all came flooding out. The fact they knew since October that the place was going to close but said nothing. The fact he did this wine diploma off his own bat and his own pocket. The wine tastings he did (no overtime). The special events weeks. The 15/16 hour days and then then not even a thanks a lot............no thanks for the profits more a you can piss off now you've served your purpose.

[MENTION=11158]stirly-girly[/MENTION]..........I like this special friend very much.
              AF since 7/7/2009

Comment

FECK yiz... posted on the other thread. this is hardly relevant now... not ignoring above posts!

Evening, on this slightly windy July night..

So, has the mad SIL come any closer to realising that shes getting beaten by al? Does she ask after young Satz and maybe draw comparisons? Speaking of, hows he doing, same same? And the mother?

Mammy door-mat is about to morph into something that'll make they're eyes pop.
                :whip: but you'll still be your charming and funny self, so they will all just obey hypnotically! You are right - I don't lose the head very often, but then I do, they listen, or appear to. Its just respect at the end of the day.

Early start... night all.
                AF - July 19th 2015 :happy2:

Comment

[MENTION=11158]stirly-girly[/MENTION], great to see you, will read back properly tomorrow :horse:
                  AF - July 19th 2015 :happy2:

Comment

Morning all!

Great to see you Stirly. Dunno how you write comprehensive posts like you do but I am in awe!!

In work today and its the last thing I feel like doing. BUT needs must and it will probably be ok once I am in.

Have a great day all

Comment

Morning all.
                      Worked all weekend & it's the BEST thing to forget your problems.
                      [MENTION=22411]IamMary[/MENTION] to answer your questions:
                      SIL will need to come to her own conclusions like we all did. I have never told her about young Satz - that would be a huge mistake she'd mouth it everywhere. Our society in this country is still not so open-minded as we'd like to think. Not being 'able to hold your drink' is still a mystery to most. FFS!
                      It's up to him to tell others..... if he chooses.
                      She keeps me reminded of the best decision of my life.
                      Mother not a well lady - in hospital - broken wrist and now on constant oxygen to ease the effects of the lung disease that is progressing.
                      Don't think she'll ever make it home to live alone again.

But still able to have a laugh & eat an ice cream. :heart:

Comment

Morning, no need to run for the hills I've stopped being moaning minnie for the foreseeable future.

Its 46 years ago today I started work...........did my Physics 'O' Level on the Thursday, ran screaming with joy from school and started work the following Monday. I was an office junior in a vets.........did office work and helped out downstairs in the clinic. I'd still be there now but I only got £7.50 a week. I was so little when I wore an operation gown in used to trail along the floor. Bet there's not many people here who have held a pigs trotter during his castration.

[MENTION=9094]satz123[/MENTION].......you're mammy is a trooper. :heartbeat: I don't know her but I wish she was mine. The SIL........she probably knows but hasn't a clue what to do. Admitting to an outsider or a doctor is a frightening thing, but once the words are out of your mouth and you realise they are there to help is wonderful.

A wee inspiration story............you all know my Dad was an alkie with many years sober.........anyway he got bowel cancer which was dealt with only to come back about five years later as liver cancer and he was given around 12 weeks to live........him and my mum came home from the hospital and my Mum said I suppose you might as well have a drink now........his reply.........I want my last weeks to be aware of what's going on so I'll stay sober and see what happens.
                        Last edited by JackieClaire; July 2, 2018, 04:55 AM.
                        AF since 7/7/2009

Comment

12 weeks to live........him and my mum came home from the hospital and my Mum said I suppose you might as well have a drink now........his reply.........I want my last weeks to be aware of what's going on so I'll stay sober and see what happens.
                          God Jacks - not sure I'd do the same thing ?
                          Interesting .......... I think I'd drink :egad:
                          There is no doubt alcohol numbs pain / anguish temporarily - so you'd not have enough time to do damage ?
                          What would everyone else do ?
                          Last edited by satz123; July 2, 2018, 09:29 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by satz123 View Post
                            God Jacks - not sure I'd do the same thing ?
                            Interesting .......... I think I'd drink :egad:
                            There is no doubt alcohol numbs pain / anguish temporarily - so you'd not have enough time to do damage ?
                            What would everyone else do ?

Evening Troopers!!

I'd do what Jackie's Dad did. Leave AL where it had been all those years - out of my life. If I only had 12 weeks to live, I would want to live them to the utmost - feel every feeling, every emotion - experience everything I could as clearly as I could during my last weeks on this earth - the happiness, the sadness and the pain. Nothing blurred, nothing numbed, everything starkly clear. Maybe something to ease the pain, but not something mind-altering. I would want to feel it all, see it all, soak it all up. No AL. It took away so much of my life, I would never let it rob me of the experiences of the last few weeks.

Comment

Evening all. Well said Stirly, I feel the same. Still having the most amazing weather. Working full time the next two weeks so I’m going to be kept busy. Great to see Satz and Stirly back in the barracks. Hope the rest of the missing troops check in soon.

Comment

Working...
                              X