Blood test comes back with some liver damage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Blood test comes back with some liver damage

I recently gave a blood test after feeling some discomfort in my right side below the rib and it turns out I have some liver damage due to alcohol.
    I’ve to give another one in 4 weeks and naturally I won’t be drinking during that time which will tell me if there’s any improvement.

Has anyone else got bad news regarding liver function test/blood tests and what was the story?

I feel fine and I suspect it will heal after abstaining for a few weeks. I will also never drink again.
    (37 years old btw)

Re: Blood test comes back with some liver damage

Welcome Scotskev81!
    I had a similar situation in 2011, my liver readings were high and they were just before doing a liver biopsy on me when my doc said, let's try NO ALCOHOL and retest. 'Can you do that?', he asked. 'SURE', I said, NOT wanting to appear to be an alkie. I decided to wait until Monday to start, then Tuesday, then Wednesday....it was that Wednesday, Jan 19, that my hubs packed his clothes and left me. I got serious about quitting THAT DAY. I got retested in 4 weeks (3 weeks Alcohol free) and my readings were higher! But the next test in 4 weeks, they came down. The moral of the story is that I don't think we can see results in 3 weeks, but you may see them in 4, if I could have stopped right then like I should have, I would have saved myself a tremendous amount of anguish.
    I stopped drinking that day and have been AF ever since (I'll be 8 years in January!) I got my bloodwork back last week from my physical and all is well. The liver is a very forgiving organ but only if you stop the AL! I figure it's like pouring vodka on an orchid everyday, sooner or later that will kill it.
    Stick with your quit, you will never regret one day you spent SOBER! Welcome aboard! Byrdie
    All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
    Tool Box
    Newbie's Nest

Comment

Thank you for your kind words.

I don’t yet know the extent of the damage but i suspect i’m ok since i’ve not been taken into hospital and have just been told to repeat the test later.
      It can only get better from here.

xx

Comment

Welcome, [MENTION=21863]scotskev81[/MENTION]. I think everyone is different but when my drinking was at its heaviest, I chose to see a new doctor and get bloodwork done the day after going through a fifth of vodka. Of course, my liver panel came back abnormal, but just abstaining for a week put it back to normal. I am pretty sure that your liver panel test results will come back within range if you abstain for a month. Believe me, you will feel so much better. There is no way I am going back to drinking. Fortunately, it did not destroy my career or my relationships, but absolutely it would have done so if I had continued on that self-destructive path. Stay with us and let us know how you are feeling.

Comment

Thank you for the advice.

Did you have the slight pain in the right side or was it just an arranged blood test?

My test was about 62 hours after a heavy weekend of drinking but the pain/irritation had been going for a few weeks before that.

Comment

[MENTION=21863]scotskev81[/MENTION]-I would feel that pain in my right side after a night of drinking like the one I have described to you. Your liver damage does sound more severe as the pain has been going on for weeks. My pain would go away after 24 hrs. of being abstinent. The liver will most likely heal itself if you don't start drinking again.

Comment

Originally posted by Rusty View Post
              [MENTION=21863]scotskev81[/MENTION]-I would feel that pain in my right side after a night of drinking like the one I have described to you. Your liver damage does sound more severe as the pain has been going on for weeks. My pain would go away after 24 hrs. of being abstinent. The liver will most likely heal itself if you don't start drinking again.
              Thank you. I didn't feel pain so much just a little discomfort and twinge. Still there but kind of imperceptible and I keep forgetting about it.

Hopefully I ll be OK. Nice to talk to you

Comment

[MENTION=21863]scotskev81[/MENTION]-Another thing that can REALLY damage your liver is taking Advil or Tylenol while you're drinking. My doc told me that so I switched to Aleve to try and avoid the hangovers. UGH. Not going back to that....ever!

Comment

Hi Scotskev.

Another test available for the liver is a 'fibre scan' which is like an ultrasound. It's apparently more comprehensive. (free here in Oz at liver care units in major hospitals with doc referral). Stopping the boozing right now might save your life mate. Good luck.

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

Originally posted by Guitarista View Post
                    Hi Scotskev.

Another test available for the liver is a 'fibre scan' which is like an ultrasound. It's apparently more comprehensive. (free here in Oz at liver care units in major hospitals with doc referral). Stopping the boozing right now might save your life mate. Good luck.
                    I'm in UK so NHS can get me a scan. Think that's the next stage for me after blood test number 2.
                    I read taking paracetamol and drinking coffee next day is also very bad.

Comment

Yep, i've heard paracetomol/panadol regularly taken can be a problem. Some prescription meds too, so best to research. Haven't heard about coffee. Plenty of water to help flush the system should help. A classic liver helper is freshly squeezed lemon in a cup of warm water every morning.

Food - Broccoli, cauliflower, garlic, lemons, limes, leafy greens.....But the biggest positive healing impact for boozers like us is to stop drinking. Moderating or cutting down has been shown not to work and still contributes negatively on liver health. The liver is an incredible organ and can turn around if we help it along. Keep us posted.

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

Worst thing is a heavy drinking session then wake up in the morning and take 2 paracetamol, coffee and then start drinking again.

I am now drinking water with lemon juice every morning (i was doing that while drinking too) and I have milk thistle pills I can take roughly once a day. Adding garlic to everything I can too.

Next blood test due on the 18th so will find out a week later.

Comment

Originally posted by scotskev81 View Post
                          I recently gave a blood test after feeling some discomfort in my right side below the rib and it turns out I have some liver damage due to alcohol.
                          I’ve to give another one in 4 weeks and naturally I won’t be drinking during that time which will tell me if there’s any improvement.

Has anyone else got bad news regarding liver function test/blood tests and what was the story?

I feel fine and I suspect it will heal after abstaining for a few weeks. I will also never drink again.
                          (37 years old btw)
                          Hi Scotty
                          You are in exactly the same boat as my son.
                          However even a scare like that was not enough to make him change. He was given the same 4 weeks to turn things around.
                          He started drinking & lying again at the weekend.

Don't be like him - stick to your guns and stay away from it.
                          I think it will eventually kill him.

He is also 37.

Comment

Originally posted by satz123 View Post
                            Hi Scotty
                            You are in exactly the same boat as my son.
                            However even a scare like that was not enough to make him change. He was given the same 4 weeks to turn things around.
                            He started drinking & lying again at the weekend.

Don't be like him - stick to your guns and stay away from it.
                            I think it will eventually kill him.

He is also 37.
                            sorry to read that. I do not know how bad the damage is. It's also possible that the test was showing signs of a recent binge as it was only about 60 hours after a heavy weekend. Still think there is damage but i'm guessing it will heal.

Comment

Hi all

My 2nd liver test was after 27 days of zero drinking and it shows “improved liver function” and a normal reading.

Since then I did drink but it was at a low level with meals because I was in France on holiday and I sipped some wine. Sadly couldn’t resist but it wasn’t anywhere near drinking to get drunk like I have in the past. Had a few drinks on Sunday but now I feel I don’t want to drink beyond a certain point. This is an improvement and I suspect my liver will repair.

I intend to drink about 2-3 beers tonight but not much.
                              Just not ready to quit but I do think I will enjoy weeks of not drinking which will help my insides.

Comment

Working...
                              X