Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Effective Treatments/Supplements- What works???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Effective Treatments/Supplements- What works???

I joined this forum many years ago hoping for to end my struggle...I read the book, tried the supplements and they didn't help. I've tried everything I could find through the years. Most recently I tried the supplements sold by Bio-Recovery which is associated with the center and the book 7 weeks to sobriety. I had purchased the book many years ago and was discouraged by the number of supplements required....I went ahead and purchased their supplements to give it a try. The supplements were about $500.....I was taking over a hundred capsules a day under the program. Initially it made me a bit sick...but it DID seem to help for a few weeks. I had no desire for alcohol but still felt like something was missing, felt a bit strange. It stopped working for me and I started drinking again. My family wants me to go into a rehab but I don't want to start taking a bunch of drugs (I know, I am taking alcohol, a drug now) AND I can't afford to take the time off of work...initially the facilty said 28 days but then they said their program is 42 days. And it is expensive....so.....what has worked for other members?

I've trued kudzu, sobrenix, and all of the My way Out and Bio-Recovery supplements. I have tried subliminal\hypnotism CDs....I have seen Declinol online but it is expensive and there doesn't seem to be any third party reviews (which is similar to what I found on the Bio-Recovery Center supplements (Bio-Recovery | Nutrients | Health Recovery Center).

I am just trying to get out of this abyss!...it has destroyed my life
    :boxer:Failure is NOT an option! :boxer:

Re: Effective Treatments/Supplements- What works???

Hi, [MENTION=735]WilliamTheFree[/MENTION], and welcome back. I'm sorry you are feeling so defeated :hug:.

It would be great if there were a pill or supplement, even a combination of them, that could cure addiction but that magic bullet has not been found and probably doesn't exist. I think there are medications that are helpful and can even eliminate the desire to drink, as [MENTION=11021]sunshinedaisies[/MENTION] has described. Have you explored that route? I know there are many threads here with a great deal of information.

To me, the role of supplements (and diet) is to help you be as healthy as possible so you're strong enough to do what is needed to get past addiction. A couple things, like L-glutamine, can help offset any cravings. Eating well also can reduce the cravings that wipe out the best laid plans we've all made.

Antabuse can be helpful because you believe you will become violently ill if you drink while you are taking it. That can buy a person enough time off of alcohol to make better decisions with a clear mind.

Most people don't drink on antabuse because of the horror stories we've all heard. But the new thought of "I'll be terribly sick if I drink" is enough to stop them from drinking! That is pretty amazing -The drug has done nothing except change the person's thinking.

The good news is we can all change our thinking without drugs, supplements, or anything from the outside. A new thought can come at any time.

For some addicts, a terrible rock bottom such as an accident or a departing spouse (looking at you [MENTION=11704]Byrdlady[/MENTION] :wink immediately changes how a person thinks about drinking. And they quit right then- sometimes without much of a fuss.

For others, including me, changing my thinking was deliberate. I had a running commentary going on in my head about the things in my life that were better because I wasn't drinking. And that was just about everything. I was consciously grateful for the changes. I learned everything I could about addiction -- understanding what had happened enabled me to accept it. I read MWO periodically during the day and immersed myself in the pages from 4-8 pm, when I previously drank. I posted a lot-- organizing my thoughts to present them here helped rewire my brain to a non-drinking one.

At the beginning I kept telling myself, over and over, I can't drink. This changed to I won't drink and one day I realized I never had to drink again. That was FREEDOM! Now, I simply don't drink and that's the thought that comes to mind whenever I'm offered alcohol or it crosses my mind that I could have a glass of wine.

I hope you stick around and change your brain, William. There are many people here who have stopped drinking with nothing from outside themselves other than the very important love and support of people who understand, don't judge, and will help in any way possible.

Take good care, NS

Comment

How are you doing, [MENTION=735]WilliamTheFree[/MENTION]? I promise it is worth whatever it takes to get out from under this unfair burden. All the best, NS

Comment

Originally posted by NoSugar View Post
        How are you doing, [MENTION=735]WilliamTheFree[/MENTION]? I promise it is worth whatever it takes to get out from under this unfair burden. All the best, NS
        Thanks...doing as good as I can...trying to get out of this abyss....guess I will have to write a book about this someday.....currently not having any success.

Comment

My family wants me to go into a rehab
          Amy Winehouse

but I don't want to start taking a bunch of drugs (I know, I am taking alcohol, a drug now) AND I can't afford to take the time off of work...initially the facilty said 28 days but then they said their program is 42 days. And it is expensive....so.....what has worked for other members?
          [MENTION=735]WilliamTheFree[/MENTION] - what bunch of drugs ?
          - sounds like a lot of the excuses my son used when confronted with the fact that rehab may actually stop him drinking. He wasn't ready...

I too tried everything - all the MWO supplements : hypnosis CDs (played while drunk) :egad: : CBT : every book I could find ( with the front cover torn off).
          I tried MWO again and this time it stuck.
          This time I did what NS describes here - no magic pill but put in the time and the work to get sober.

I was consciously grateful for the changes. I learned everything I could about addiction -- understanding what had happened enabled me to accept it. I read MWO periodically during the day and immersed myself in the pages from 4-8 pm, when I previously drank. I posted a lot-- organizing my thoughts to present them here helped rewire my brain to a non-drinking one.
          That was over 5 years ago.
          Last edited by satz123; October 12, 2018, 04:37 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the responses....no...though my children found a good rehab program for veterans I can not take 42 days off of work...I would loose my job...I will try supplements again....hopefully they will stick this time.

Comment

Lose your job - or lose your life ?
              As I said forget the magic pill - there isn't one believe me - I tried them all.
              You have to want it and work at it as described above..

Comment

Well Quitting Alcohol definitely needs a methodical way because your body get accustomed to it in long term.
                This short video can help you....How to Quit Alcohol Forever - MUST WATCH!!! - YouTube

Comment

Working...
                X