Gabapentin Miracle?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gabapentin Miracle?

My GP prescribed Gabapentin for nerve pain which is helping with that, however it has also curbed my alcohol cravings.

Atypical day would be to consume one to two bottles per day. If I tried really hard, I could go without for 2 days climbing the walls the whole time.

To date I am 17 days sober with virtually no desire to drink. It boggles my mind.

Has anyone else here ever experienced this?
    Last edited by Moffit; January 13, 2019, 01:03 PM.

Re: Gabapentin Miracle?

My FIL was prescribed Gabapentin for his post-shingles nerve pain, and I noticed that it really seemed to help him curb his alcohol intake, which he needed to do to stay within the limits of his fluid restriction for his heart disease.
    Once a pickle, never a cucumber again.

Comment

Hi Mofit and great work on 17 days. Hope you stick around and introduce yourself on the active threads. If it works, stick to it. i was a 2 bottle a day drinker of wine also and could not go a day, 5 years sober now and loving life.
      AF free 1st December 2013 - 1st December 2022 - 9 years of freedom

Comment

Hi Moffit. Yes, there does seem to be evidence that Gabapentin can help. My PCP mentioned it to me in the past although I went the Baclofen route. I’m so glad to hear it’s helping you!
        http://baclofentreatment.com/
        http://www.theendofmyaddiction.org
        http://www.theendofmyaddiction.org/f...or-alcoholism/

Comment

Thanks for the replies! I will be taking this medication for a while due to my nerve pain, hopefully it's also the answer to kick the habit of daily boozing out the door!

I will keep updating as I go along this new journey.:happy2:

Comment

That's great to hear, Moffit! May I ask what dosage you are on?

Comment

Hi [MENTION=14524]_serenity_[/MENTION] Right now I take 200 mg twice a day and 100 mg before bed. I'm to increase to 300 mg 3X/day if needed to manage my pain. So far 500mg per day is working for both pain and cravings. I see my GP next week to discuss my results and ongoing dosage.
              The side effects in the beginning were a slight spaced out feeling, I was still able to go about my daily business no problem. That feeling has now left me and for the most part I just feel "normal" apart from a dry mouth which has also eased up but not completely.
              I'm so surprised at the lack of desire to drink and will be bringing this fact up with my Doctor as well.

Being the curious soul that I am, I will eventually test the waters to see what happens if I do drink. Right now I'm just giving my liver a long deserved break. Oh, and this medication is processed through the kidneys not the liver which is probably a good thing for my poor abused one.

* for personal reference* This article explains how Gabapentin works in the brain.

Gabapentin for Alcoholism | Accepting New Patients.
              Last edited by Moffit; January 15, 2019, 09:02 PM.

Comment

The theory is that alcoholism is caused by neurological anxiety. Gabapentin is an anxiolitic, ie., it lessens anxiety. That's also how baclofen works. So,yes, this is a new theory and is supported by good science and many people getting well using anxioliltics. A miracle? No, just good science.
                BACLOFENISTA

baclofenuk.com

http://www.theendofmyaddiction.org

Olivier Ameisen

In addiction, suppression of symptoms should suppress the disease altogether since addiction is, as he observed, a "symptom-driven disease". Of all "anticraving medications used in animals, only one - baclofen - has the unique property of suppressing the motivation to consume cocaine, heroin, alcohol, nicotine and d-amphetamine"

Comment

Some people respond really well to meds. Abilify injections gave me back my ability to moderate. The drug literature does not support that claim but I know my life and I know what happened. For other people it is Baclofen/naltrexone/ topmirate.....for some people no drugs work. Good luck with your pill. I hope your happy run lasts

Comment

Hi [MENTION=12219]Otter[/MENTION] I know it's all based on good science. I was being a bit cheeky, as these medications that help us should be more readily available.

Comment

Update:

Medication dosage 300 mg 3x daily 9am, 2pm, 7pm. So far this is working for me.

No craving just curious to get a better idea of how this medication works.

TEST: Was I able to stop after one drink on this medication? - a resounding NO. However, I was able to get right back to AF the next day.

Honeymoon Phase? Maybe, maybe not.

Will report my findings at a later date.

Last edited by Moffit; January 27, 2019, 01:14 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X