synethetic alcohol in a few years? hope so

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

synethetic alcohol in a few years? hope so

This would do wonders for people. Old news but I expect it will happen.

I read an article that it could be here as soon as 2022

Hangover-Free Alcosynth Synthetic Alcohol: The end of IV Hangover Cures? | Hangover Heaven — Hangover Heaven IV Hydration(R)

Written by Dr. Jason Burke on July 31, 2018
    Is This the end of IV Hangover Cures?

Jason Burke, MD

If you’re a Star Trek fan, you may have heard “Synthehol” mentioned. In the TV show, this fictional alcohol analog has largely replaced real alcohol, or more specifically ethanol, as the drink of choice. It promises the smell and taste of real alcohol without any of the other effects, like hangovers, addiction – and drunkenness. Overall, it doesn’t sound much fun.

Not too far from reality, British professor David Nutt claims to have come up with a real-life alcohol substitute he calls “Alcosynth.” Professor Nutt promises his invention will revolutionize drinking and completely replace traditional alcohol by 2050. He claims Alcosynth will “reign supreme” because it won’t cause hangovers or even extreme intoxication.
    Synthetic no hangover alcosynth

Alcosynth synthetic alcohol and hangovers

No headache, nausea or dry mouth the morning after a huge bash? Even more interesting, drinkers will “max out” the effects of Alcosynth after about 5 drinks, but you’ll still get “tipsy” and enjoy an authentic taste. If these claims prove to be true, drinkers may no longer need IV hydration to feel better the morning after.

Professor Nutt asserts that long term use of Alcosynth will not result in liver or cardiovascular damage, which can happen with traditional alcohol consumption. This is major news in the UK, where overconsumption of alcohol is a huge public health issue. The British are big drinkers and alcohol use is the third highest contributor to deaths in the UK. However, there is still no evidence from Professor Nutt on whether users of Alcosynth will be prone to addiction to the new substance.

So far, everything about Alcosynth sounds great. But don’t throw away your liquor cabinet just yet. There are several unresolved issues regarding the Alcosynth revolution.
    What are Alcosynth’s ingredients? Is it safe?

First off, we don’t know any of the ingredients, and Professor Nutt has so refused to disclose them, citing trade secrets. However, we do know that his early experiments into synthetic alcohol used benzodiazepine-derived compounds.

Benzodiazepines are a class of anti-anxiety medications, including drugs like Valium. While they have legitimate uses in medicine, benzodiazepines are considered addictive and are controlled substances. Although Nutt maintains that the current incarnation of Alcosynth is benzo-free, it is unknown how the new invention generates its intoxicating effects.

Professor Nutt has come under scrutiny in his past role as a government drug advisor. More specifically, he once claimed that ecstasy use was not dangerous. He was subsequently removed from that job in 2009.

Can Alcosynth really replace alcohol?

Assuming everything about Alcosynth is true, could it completely replace traditional alcohol? Doubtful. After all, drinking is a social experience. While you can just as easily share an Alcosynth brew with a buddy as you could a real beer, what about connoisseurs and enthusiasts? Substituting Alcosynth for naturally-produced ethanol in mass-produced beer is all well and good, but could it really be used in craft beers that are brewed in small batches? That’s to be determined.
    Alcosynth and traditional alcohol

Does alcosynth fit in with traditional alcohol

Will it truly be hangover-free and reduce the need for IV hangover therapy?

At our Las Vegas IV clinic, we see patients who have been slipped various sedative drugs while at a Vegas club the night before. These were likely “Rufis,” which are in the benzodiazepine class and some of the patients had horrible hangovers requiring IV therapy. If Alcosynth is intoxicating to any degree, it likely contains a benzo in some form or another.

Furthermore, if all alcoholic beverages are replaced by synthetic ethanol analogs, the pleasure of enjoying a 40-year-old scotch or a century old wine will be lost. Collectors will drink through their treasures and find themselves unable to replace their bottles with new vintages that age as well. A generation of brew masters, distillers, and vintners will be the last of their trade. Family owned vineyards and breweries will fall by the wayside.

Such a tragedy is unlikely to happen. For every new technology invented, there will always be those who insist on doing things the old way, the hard way, and – perhaps – the better way. One thing that’s for sure, you can always count on Hangover Heaven for hangover cure

Re: synethetic alcohol in a few years? hope so

Anyone think they would try this?

If you’ve stopped drinking then there would be no need to but for people that are still drinking the real stuff, would be a good option.

Comment

Originally posted by scotskev81 View Post
      Anyone think they would try this?

If you’ve stopped drinking then there would be no need to but for people that are still drinking the real stuff, would be a good option.
      I've stopped drinking but you know I'm not jealous of people who do and can without harming themselves. It took me so long to realise its not what's in the glass its the company you're with.

I'm typing this very much with my tongue in cheek. So what he's creating is chemicalized alcohol.....like white lightning, diamond white, alcopops all puke worthy but with the added bonus of stopping.

I'll ask my husband and his mates. He likes a pint and I very much doubt on his boys nights out to they'd sit and drink synthetic alcohol. He is a completely normal drinker gets hammered now and again but very much take it or leave it man and I know many, many like that.
      Will there be a Newcastle Brown Ale taste, a Cote Du Rhone red, a Zinfandel. Will come in pints, nice wine glasses, shots?

I'd love to ask him who this would appeal to. I'm taking it as granted a person partaking would still need a taxi home.......or wait half an hour and you'll not be impaired. It won't cause violence domestic or otherwise?.......perhaps that wasn't so much tongue in cheek.

To be honest, if he's not willing to divulge what he's putting it just sounds proper dodgy.
      Last edited by JackieClaire; February 15, 2019, 09:02 AM.
      It could be worse, I could be filing.
      AF since 7/7/2009

Comment

Originally posted by JackieClaire View Post
        I've stopped drinking but you know I'm not jealous of people who do and can without harming themselves. It took me so long to realise its not what's in the glass its the company you're with.

I'm typing this very much with my tongue in cheek. So what he's creating is chemicalized alcohol.....like white lightning, diamond white, alcopops all puke worthy but with the added bonus of stopping.

I'll ask my husband and his mates. He likes a pint and I very much doubt on his boys nights out to they'd sit and drink synthetic alcohol. He is a completely normal drinker gets hammered now and again but very much take it or leave it man and I know many, many like that.
        Will there be a Newcastle Brown Ale taste, a Cote Du Rhone red, a Zinfandel. Will come in pints, nice wine glasses, shots?

I'd love to ask him who this would appeal to. I'm taking it as granted a person partaking would still need a taxi home.......or wait half an hour and you'll not be impaired. It won't cause violence domestic or otherwise?.......perhaps that wasn't so much tongue in cheek.

To be honest, if he's not willing to divulge what he's putting it just sounds proper dodgy.
        The only reason he’s not divulging what’s in it is for patent reasons. I’m sure it will all come out once it’s approved.

I wouldn’t say it’s the same as “white Lightning” etc.. because they all contain real alcohol mix and from unenlightened party punch era. Lol.

It won’t take long before there are a range of different drinks and different flavours (some will be designed to be similar to the old alcohol.) Quite frankly, who would care what’s in your glass after a while, it’s your choice. Vaping was once very new but now it’s quite the norm.

Predicting this will be similar to vaping in that both will be available in the same way that you can buy non alcoholic beer in a bar at the moment. After a while it will become the norm and possibly real alcohol will decline in use for future generations.

I’m very much in favour of this being rushed through and giving people the choice.

Comment

Okay......so here's the rebuttal.
          Bit of my history here.......fifteen years ago when I was told I had severe liver damage due to my alcohol intake and I would die a rather uncomfortable (to put it mildly) death within the next two to three years if I didn't stop drinking............I did stop drinking. I stopped drinking long enough to get my enzymes back to normal levels and a pat on the back from my doctors and then proceded to try and drink like a normal person. That lasted a few months until the next time and then I did it again and again and again then I stopped finally in July 2009. That time my doctor did not give me a liver function test as he realised that I was just stuck in a never ending circle of tests and sobering up.
          Had I seen this new kind of drink I'd have been on it in a flash..in fact, quicker than that..........but no I quite enjoyed getting long term sobriety so stuck with it
          So being a bored housewife I volunteered at a local drug and alcohol service and they kindly sent me as well as the paid staff on a series courses. One in particular was an eye opener........there I learnt that not only does alcohol affect our livers, but every single organ in our body..........its a huge carcinogenic, causes kidney failure, pancreatitus even our skin, hearing, eyesight.

Now I'm asking two question, I know you've had a couple of liver scares. So is it the lure of not having damage to your liver something that has piqued your interest?
          Can Nutt, promise that while not harming the liver will also not harm anything of the things I've mentioned?
          Last edited by JackieClaire; February 17, 2019, 08:12 AM.
          It could be worse, I could be filing.
          AF since 7/7/2009

Comment

I read that article in the news when it first came out as well [MENTION=21863]scotskev81[/MENTION] and my first thought was that nothing good can come from this. Then I thought maybe some normal drinkers will switch to the synthetic alcohol if and when it gets approved so as to reduce the health risks that regular alcohol causes. But then I'm not sure how much health risk there really is if you're a normal drinker. If you're an active alcoholic this news will be music to your ears if it does what it claims to do, no health risks and no hangovers! And it would also greatly help the healthcare systems that spend so much money trying to repair the damage that alcohol does. So let's just forget about normal drinkers because that doesn't apply in our case, and let's forget about the active alcoholics because they'll drink whatever is available to them just like we used to do. Let’s talk about the people who have acknowledged they have a problem with alcohol and are trying to quit drinking, what does this news mean to them?

What I'm about to say is my opinion only, and what this news means to me. Does this news give struggling alcoholics hope that in a few years they can continue drinking without any worries? But what will happen to them in the years before this synthetic alcohol gets approved, if it even does get approved. Is all they need to worry about is to keep damage to a minimum till synthetic alcohol hits the shelves? That's a dangerous path to go down. The health issues and hangovers are but a tiny part of the problem that alcoholics face. To be honest, I didn't care about hangovers, I didn't care about what was happening to my health, and I didn't care about what my drinking was doing to others, all I cared about was me, when could I get drunk next. I didn’t drink to be social, I didn’t drink for the taste, I drank to get drunk. And whether it’s real alcohol or synthetic, it would mean the same to me, a means to get drunk.

I haven’t just acknowledged the fact that I’m an alcoholic, I’ve acknowledged that I’m an addict. That I used something as a means to escape, escape whatever it was I wasn’t prepared to deal with. Marijuana recently became legal all across Canada and you can be certain that I’ll never set foot in one of the stores, or take a toke if it’s offered to me. I know for a fact if I used it once, it wouldn’t be long for the day to come when I woke up each morning and wondered how soon it would be before I could get stoned. I’m an addict and always will be. As alcoholics, we have to embrace sobriety, not hold our breath waiting for the day that we can safely drink again, because as addicts, we can never safely drink again.

Synthetic alcohol in a few years? Who cares…
            Last edited by abcowboy; February 18, 2019, 09:07 AM.
            Quitting and staying quit isn't easy, its learning a whole new way of thinking. It's accepting a new way of life, and not just accepting it, embracing it...
            Worry about tomorrow, tomorrow. Just get through today. Tomorrow will look after itself when it becomes today, because today is all we have to think about.
            Friendship is not about how many friends you have or who you've known the longest. It's about who walked into your life, said "I'm here for you", and proved it.

Comment

Does it stop you from acting like a total arsehole as well?
              If your 8 year old self met you, would they be proud?
              Rejoined life 20/5/19

Comment

Hi Kev.

No drunkeness? What's the point? I'd wanna git smashed. The stuff sounds useless to me.

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

Hi All
                  I view it as another means to escape. This is not what I want for myself after getting sober. I want to live a life I am participating in. Each day I am experiencing life the good and the bad and dealing with it all. I am living in the present not hiding from the world. It is not only a sober life I want but a clean life. Not taking any drugs that alter my mind. I have wasted to much of my life in an alcoholic lifestyle that I have nothing to show for it except regrets.
                  Stay Healthy and Keep Fighting
                  AF 5-16-08

Comment

To answer some of the questions above. It does seem like this alcohol will affect the brain only, in fact tricking and mimicking the affect of normal alcohol. This means there will be no damage to the rest of the body, including the liver. Hangovers are actually caused by poisoning of the body and the fact that this doesn’t cause a hangover means that a person hasn’t spent all night poisoning themselves.

The most interesting difference is that the synthetic alcohol will have MAXIMUM dosage. Nutt described the effect as PLATEAUING out, so it doesn’t matter how much more of it you drink, you can only maintain the maximum level. A person won’t be able to drink to the point of not remembering and swinging punches etc..

I consider myself a normal drinker who drinks too much in social settings. I don’t drink alone, in the morning or just to get drunk and nothing else. I love going out and sitting in a bar, granted those sessions can get out of hand sometimes but other times they can be quite civil.

For me this synethic alcohol would be perfect.

p.s. people who have long since given up drinking won’t start drinking this. It’s for the current crop, problem drinker and also for the future generation.
                    Last edited by scotskev81; February 19, 2019, 07:47 AM.

Comment

update

The Inventor of Hangover-Free Synthetic Alcohol Has Already Tried It (and Hopes You Can Soon) | Food & Wine

Comment

At first blush I myself would not touch this with a 10 foot pole. My first reaction though was this could be great for harm reduction from booze for a hard core vodka drinker like myself. But 220 days sober the mere thought now of ANYTHING that would alter my mind would only serve as an engraved invitation to undo all the hard work I have invested in removing myself from all substance that alter my mind in anyway. That said, on paper it seems to nicely circumnavigate all the negative issues of what alcohol does to the abuser of alcohol. Yes it may even mitigate or prevent abuse of booze. A lot has yet to be proven out as to how this form of an alcohol high affects normies and alkies alike. Again for someone like me who is so easily addicted to anything that hints at a high it would probably make matters worse not better. I know I can only go forward in life with completely sober winds in my sails and I actually prefer it this way now. I have come to realize and understand that alcohol was not my problem, it was only the medicine my mind craved to numb out unmanaged stress and anxiety and I could have just as easily become addicted to pot, heroin, opiods or anything beside just alcohol in my quest to calm the noise in my skull. It was lots of therapy and not drugs or alcohol that "cured" me and this new fangled alcohol would only distract me from addressing my real issues.
                        Is Addiction Really a Disease?
                        Watch this and find out....
                        http://youtu.be/ekDFv7TTZ4I

Comment

[MENTION=5134]4theboyz[/MENTION]: I agree, Quit Buddy! (I’m at 250 days)
                          Once a pickle, never a cucumber again.

Comment

Look at what synthetic marijuana has done to people. Psychosis and death in some people. Synthetic or not it will affect people differently with the chemicals in it just like synthetic marijuana.

Scots you came on here for a reason, this is a forum for alcoholics or problem drinkers, obviously you were worried about your intake or you would not have google what you did to find MWO. I didnt drink in the mornings and i didnt think i was as bad as others, but i hit my rock bottom and it was my rock bottom. Now i dont give a shit about alcohol, i dont need to justify when i drink, why i drink or who i drink with as i dont drink.

This may sound callous but who the fuck cares about synthetic alcohol, it will hurt people just like the other shit they bring out on the market, promising the world but all they do is make money off people who do have issues with the hope of a better life. The only way for a better life is to make the choice to stop drinking or taking the substance you imbibe in off the table. My idea of fun is not going out and watching people get shit faced, id prefer netflix and a good knitting pattern or meeting friends for a meal and coffee.
                            AF free 1st December 2013 - 1st December 2022 - 9 years of freedom

Comment

If the stuff is mood altering then it is psychoactive and probably starting to wear those nasty little neural pathways of behaviour into our brains - acting on our reward centres, the greedy little bastards, which will just want more.

I think it's a great discussion, Kev. I'm with [MENTION=16186]available[/MENTION] though - I don't need any more shit to deal with. Netflix, novels and gardening forever!
                              If your 8 year old self met you, would they be proud?
                              Rejoined life 20/5/19

Comment

Working...
                              X