X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just joined today. Help please with Baclofen

Hello everybody,

Looks like a nice friendly forum.

I am desperate for some help. I am in my 60's have been drinking like a fish since I was 30.
    I will write a bit of my story as soon as I can.

But I have been on baclofen since July 18.
    Was very happy to begin with as it seemed to help with my drinking but more importantly it seemed to considerably reduce my anxiety.

Almost immediately though I developed a very bad cough, I have upped and reduced the dose. At present I am on 75mgs per day.
    But this cough is awful and is causing incontinence.

I was hoping it would pass by now. But afraid not. Now I have started binging again, I feel I am on another merry go round.
    Naltrexone didn't agree with me.

Please can someone give me some encouragement, I would be so grateful.
    Last edited by Elizabeth 0810; March 21, 2019, 08:59 AM. Reason: Spelling

Re: Just joined today. Help please with Baclofen

Hi Elizabeth and Welcome. Another Aussie, great to see. I have no idea about Baclofen, sorry but maybe if you do a search on it a thread will pop up.
    AF free 1st December 2013 - 1st December 2022 - 9 years of freedom

Comment

Hi Elizabeth,there's lots of older baclofen threads if you look in the medication part of the site, Naltrexone, didn't agree with you? If not can I ask why? My doctor gave me that but I've never tried it,hope you can find some info, welcome
      I have too much shit to do today and tomorrow to drink:sohappy:

I'm taking care of the "tomorrow me":thumbsup:
      Drinkin won't help a damn thing! Will only make me sick for DAYS and that ugly, spacey dumb feeling-no thanks!

Comment

Hi available, I did have a read earlier. Will have another look thanks. Good to find some Aussies here

Comment

Hi paulywogg.

I have been ploughing through some of the old threads, lots of info

Hmmm the naltrexone. I think I have a great sensitivity to drugs. So please don't let my experience turn you off.
          From memory I started on them about Mid Sept 17. All was going great and I was very happy.
          I used The Sinclair Method and managed to cut back a fair bit.

Then in November a few personal issues arose, as they do and I upped my wine intake over a few days. I have had anxiety attacks for decades. But I was alone and I started shaking all over, it was hideous. My friend took me to the Emergency and after several tests and many doses of valium, I was released. My BP went up to 230/135. The minute we left the hospital it started again. I took more valium and slept. No alcohol.
          Unfortunately it happened again the next day and I called an ambulance. I felt as if I was dying it was very frightening. They kept me in overnight and said they didn't think it was the naltrexone. But I cannot see any other explanation. It wasn't a seizure either. But my Dr would not prescribe it to me again.
          I think from research that this was pretty rare.

Please don't let this turn you off. Perhaps it was because I suddenly escalated my drinking?
          I hope you have success with it.

Comment

Elizabeth, i suffered for years with anxiety and was on xanax, an awful merry go round of drinking and xanax. Now that i have not drank for 5 years my anxiety is very much under control. Learning to not drink with stressful situations takes time but it is doable. I was a two bottle of wine drinker, 7 days a week so have faith in yourself that you can get rid of al. The newbies nest is a great thread though i dont think anyone on there knows much about the meds but they all do understand what you are going through, there is nothing like another alcoholic to understand where you are coming from. Being able to talk does help and knowing people are going through exactly what you are helps.
            AF free 1st December 2013 - 1st December 2022 - 9 years of freedom

Comment

Elizabeth,my doctor prescribed the Naltrexone for mood? I dunno she's a bit wacky herself haha,I have read great things about Low Dose Naltrexone but we're talking 3_4 mg a day vs the 50 for alcoholism,who knows one day I might try a little piece but I'm AF now and doing ok without anything,thanks for sharing your experience
              I have too much shit to do today and tomorrow to drink:sohappy:

I'm taking care of the "tomorrow me":thumbsup:
              Drinkin won't help a damn thing! Will only make me sick for DAYS and that ugly, spacey dumb feeling-no thanks!

Comment

Hi Elizabeth! I’m sorry I missed your post. I’m usually hanging out in the medication threads. I had more side effects from Baclofen than I can count, but never that one. Except for sleep apnea due to the muscle relaxant effect, the SE would go away when I stayed at the same dose for awhile. Are you sure the cough is from Bac? You may want to post over on the Medication forum. There are side effect experts that check in there (@terryk)

:welcome:
                http://baclofentreatment.com/
                http://www.theendofmyaddiction.org
                http://www.theendofmyaddiction.org/f...or-alcoholism/

Comment

Working...
                X