Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Grateful to be beginning again!

Hello All,

I have been on here reading other's posts and so appreciative that this community exists. I am grateful that you have all shared so much of yourselves and that has motivated me to begin on the road to sobriety, again.

I am sure that I will share much more about myself at sometime because I have bag that is over flowing with issues and stories and experiences. I am not going to say baggage because my junk does not deserve luggage, but a bag that I would like to take to the road and be over with at some time.

I am going to make a long story short for right now, not like me because I tend to make long stories much longer than they need to be. I am an alcoholic and my first journey down the road of insanity started when I was about 40, I got way out of control and stopped for about 4 years. Those 4 years were not easy, but eye opening. I thought if I got sober then my life would be roses and angelic, it wasn't because the roses have thorns and even the devil was and angel at some time. Those 4 years did let me learn a lot about myself and my life. I got to really look at the bad things that surrounded me and I was able to deal with it.

I just didn't like the bad and dealing became tiresome so a drink here and there seemed to help. The only help it gave me was blindness to what I was facing till I just turned my face. I have now gone on for 8 years of running into a bottle a wine and I am drowning now. Well, not drowning now, I am stopping, this is day one and it is time to get out of the wine pool and dry off. I am not a great alcohol swimmer.

Now I begin, again. I have a clearer knowledge of what it will take to remain sober. Big news item, DON'T PICK UP ANOTHER DRINK. I know it will not be easy because this fall has ingrained in me a stronger habit to break.

I will quit drinking, this will not be easy and my life will not become perfect. My life will be considerably better though, not to mention my health.

I know me pretty well, so expect some stories to come. Right now I am grateful that you all are here. I am grateful that everyone supports one and other, and I am grateful that I might be able leave some nugget of my life on here to maybe help someone else.

That is it, for now.

But wait, I must warn you all also, my spelling is horrible, so please forgive me. I am not an uneducated person, in fact I was an educator! Teachers are really known for being bad spellers, go figure.

Thank you all again!

A big hello and welcome to this gang of quitters [MENTION=24351]New Sunrise[/MENTION]! If you’ve been reading around the forums, you’ll know you’ll be welcome to join in anywhere. Great to have you here and looking forward to helping and supporting you along your way to alcohol freedom!
    Last edited by abcowboy; March 29, 2019, 07:20 AM.
    Quitting and staying quit isn't easy, its learning a whole new way of thinking. It's accepting a new way of life, and not just accepting it, embracing it...
    Worry about tomorrow, tomorrow. Just get through today. Tomorrow will look after itself when it becomes today, because today is all we have to think about.
    Friendship is not about how many friends you have or who you've known the longest. It's about who walked into your life, said "I'm here for you", and proved it.

Comment

Re: Grateful to be beginning again!

Welcome, [MENTION=24351]New Sunrise[/MENTION]! I love your hopeful name :smile:. Do you have some plans in place for what you're going today at the time you've typically been drinking? All habits are tough to change and this one is particularly challenging, as you know.

I hope you pop into the Newbies Nest and introduce yourself. People often don't find these individual threads and I know everyone will be glad you're here.

All the best, NS

Comment

Thank you abcowboy for the warm welcome and NoSugar! NoSugar, I do have plans with my time, especially during the witching hour, one of those is visiting the witching hour thread! I am eating today, had a good breakfast and just finished my lunch. Alcohol puts so much weight on and I have been avoiding eating in order to avoid the alcohol weight gain. That one didn't work so well... Thanks for letting me know about the Newbie Nest, I was not quite sure how that worked but I will get on there.

Comment

If you read back a bit in the Newbies Nest, [MENTION=24351]New Sunrise[/MENTION], you'll get to know the people who post regularly. There are people at all stages of the process posting in that thread as it is one of the busier ones on MWO. Our Momma Bird, [MENTION=8356]Lavande[/MENTION], just celebrated 10 years so she is PROOF that this can be done!

Comment

[MENTION=24351]New Sunrise[/MENTION] welcome to MWO. There is a host of experience & knowledge here. Some you will resonate with some you won't but take what you need & leave the rest.
            As suggested - go to the Newbies Nest and tell your story - get to know everyone by reading & posting daily.

Best of luck ....

Comment

Working...
            X