Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Week of Aug 4th

MAE ALL...

Hope everyone is out enjoying a wonderful weekend. Popped over to the garden to water and then did some running around. Getting things sorted and put away so will pop back later....:smile:PPQP

Re: Week of Aug 4th

Firstly thoughts are with the families of the wounded and dead in both shootings..
    .hiya all ..how are we? good I hope ..managed to shift the cold..it has been a lovely day today..decided to go fora bit of a bimble Julie decided to come with me ...so we did 11ks overthe moors ..to be fair she stayed with me ..at theend she said she was ok...till she sat down ..and gone ....tired !boiler still inop..they are comingto look at it tomorrow...
    it has just started raining so fingers
    crossed they have dropped the dam enoughto stop it breaking

take care all.
    af since the fourth of July 2012...howzat then America..now proudly marching into year 12

Comment

Good evening Abbers,

My daughter & her family just left after a nice visit. We cooked out but ate dinner inside. Still too HOT!
      We haven’t had enough rain to keep plants happy out there so we’re back to watering daily & sweating up a storm at the same time, haha!

PQ, I hope your day was fabulous & more comfortable than mine, LOL

Mick, glad you’re feeling better! I hope Julie is OK. I wouldn’t be able to walk very far in this heat & humidity. No one can breathe very easily in this stuff. Keeping my fingers crossed that the dam holds the water where it’s supposed to be, geez.

About these shootings, we all know where the blame lies - the NRA & the GOP including their hate monger leader Trump
      We need to dump them all & start with a clean slate

Hello to our missing friends & wishing everyone a good night!
      Lav
      AF since 03/26/09
      NF since 05/19/09
      Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Hidy Ho ABeroooos!

PPQ, thanks for the bootup!

Mick, Julie is a quite a trooper, nice. fingers crossed for sure on the boiler and the dam.

Lav, I wanted to cook outside today but just couldn't brave the fiery air today. it was pretty overwhelming.

swam yesterday but just didn't need anymore sun rays on this bod anymore. GF, daughter and I made it to the
        International Market not far from her place. wow! a truly kick-ass market full of exotic goodies from the corners of the planet.
        Even great deals on crazy fun produce. I scored a huge tray of oyster mushrooms that came to $3.65 for almost a full pound. wow!
        I just have to try not to set up my tent and take residency there now... ack! so fun. i scored some San Marzano tomatoes and a bunch
        of other goodies and made an Italian feast this afternoon. Moink!

As a peacenik who's also a shooting enthusiast, believe me I couldn't be more crushed by the recent results of sick humans in the US.
        And more legislation is just going to result in what it always has...
        nothing. That is unless the legislation is for truly affordable healthcare for the mentally sick that are increasing in frightening numbers. We have the
        highest incarceration rate, highest addiction rates and highest number of people dependent on psych drugs of any other nation. The real problems
        starting to be come clear? If we need a bad-guy to vilify I present the guilty party: our media. They have, with stunning effectiveness fanned the flames
        of left vs right to a fuming frenzy of abject hatred that has been steadily polarizing this nation to it's current breaking-point, and all for their own
        billions of shameless profit. Each side of this artificially-generated fight rests comfy in their blinding illusion of righteous indignation, and both are wrong. Wouldn't it be something if our 'news leaders'
        would start speaking the truth about the huge commonality of interests that the US population share instead of zeroing-in on our few differences and exploding
        them on enormous headlines to create division and hatred? We are badly in need of a new Renaissance. A clean-slate as Lav puts it. I maintain that it will NOT be possible to
        vote-in this change from either of our corrupt parties. The time is coming for a peaceful revolution where we return power to the people and don't just throw out the 'other guys team'
        because then we would have an open dictatorship. I mean throw out ALL the trash and rebuild with non-professional politicians as it was originally intended. Chuck out ALL of congress
        that are now bought and paid for by big pharma etc (both Dem and Rep to be sure). We outnumber these buttholes significantly, all we need to do is stop pretending that their
        assumed power means anything because it doesn't. it's an illusion maintained by our filthy media and our blind allegiance.

it may sound cheesy, but I try to change the world in my own tiny ways by simply being kind. I drive in a very peaceful way and almost always give way for people
        to lane-change. I give change to homeless when i can, and I smile at strangers. I give free rides to people to and from Refuge Recovery meetings who don't have cars
        because they are homeless, nearly homeless or got DUI's. And I'm looking for more ways to be an effective merchant of peace where I go.

speaking of change... I'll be moving in with my therapist/graphic designer in 2 weeks flat. egad! we discussed it at length today and it just makes the most sense, especially considering we are now
        business partners and it's a ton more efficient to work side-by-side. It's exciting and scary for sure. Extra meditation sessions are due for sure but I'm steadfast in my sobriety and optimistic.
        spoke to my landlord today and he's ok with it thankfully. I'm in a real ghetto spot so traditional contracts aren't really in effect. Can't wait to get moved into the nice part of town with my sweetheart.

well, somebody better find some moving boxes tomorrow and secure a storage unit. guess that's me.

oh, at GF's place today we (mostly her) made our brand logo and more designs for print products. I swear it's wizardry seeing the way she uses adobe PS and AI.

Well, time to do more marketing research here.

be well m'loves!
        Last edited by Determinator; August 4, 2019, 10:30 PM.
        nosce te ipsum
        (Know Thyself)

Comment

Mae everybody,Det,well said! I think we're all just so stunned and heartbroken by all these shootings and want to blame someone but who? When people get these guns even if the laws were stricter they'd just buy them off the street anyways,glad you're moving to a better place Mick glad your cold passed quickly,poor Julie you wore her out haha! Lav,glad you had a nice get together even though it's hot and humid,I noticed that the humidity we had here made me extremely tired! PQ,sounds like you had a nice relaxing day yesterday wishes for a great BF Monday for us all!
          I have too much shit to do today and tomorrow to drink:sohappy:

I'm taking care of the "tomorrow me":thumbsup:
          Drinkin won't help a damn thing! Will only make me sick for DAYS and that ugly, spacey dumb feeling-no thanks!

Comment

MAE ALL...

Mick...you take it easy on Julie. Is the boiler fixed? Did the dam hold up?

Lav...daily watering continues for me too. Heading over to the garden soon. I was going to cook out yesterday as well but standing on an all white balcony in the heat turned me off. Glad you had an enjoyable visit.

Det...if you ever give up on photography you could turn to writing. You sure have a knack for it, what a well written post. So decision made and it sounds like a good one. I wish you all the best on your new endeavor.

Pauly...yes it was a good Sunday. We're having our own issues with guns here in Canada and we have lots of gun control in place. I believe we need to start with more access to mental health and that's a tough one too. It's a holiday Monday here so taking my time getting going. Hope you're having a good one.

Shout out to the rest of the gang, will check back in later....:smile:PPQP

Comment

hiya all...well we had a heck of a storm this morning ,butso far no big drama ..they reckon it will take 2 more days to examine it ...but no great drama both Corbyn and Johnson have been there and sprinkled magic dust all over the place ..ha ..so far they have dropped 1500tons in it .
              Boiler fixed..it was the gas diaphragm ..it was nacked and wouldnt let the gas flow...still needa new one eventually ..this one is 20 years old..trouble is they dont make them like that any more.
              Yes Julie is ok ,bit achey ,but hey ..
              we dont seem to have the mass of gun problems you have ..dont get me wrong ,yes we have issues big time and gun problems but for us its knives and knife crime ..people over here pull a blade at the blink of an eye..
              yep pauly cold has disappeared.thank good ness nothing like them for making you feel rubbish.
              hiya Lav,hows you then? glad you had a nice visit with your daughter .I reckon you are right ..ther gun laws need looking at but shouldnt be absolutely prohibitive to those that are into target and game shooting ..but cant see the requirement for auto and semi automatic weapons..no way in the world do you need a "spray and pray "for any of that.
              Det..well written I agree with you that the politicians we have do not necessarily represent the people ..and that seems to be the world over its almost that they are like vessels ...full of ideas do goods pandering to their future constituents ,then post election the ideaology is poured away,and filled up with their party and political trains of thought ,which sometimes are in direct contrast to the wishes of those who elected them..plus the influencing political financial and industrial streams..note influencing ...as opposed to corrupting...ha ha..unless it can be corroborated..We need to step back and look at what we are doing to the world and each other ..for as sure as hell if we dont ..there wont be a world ..
              right soapbox put away ...have a good day folks ..

I was just online and saw an ad asking: What is your IQ?

What's IQ?

My therapist said I should try to do more things spontaneously.

So I combusted.

What does a Bachelor of Arts student say to a Bachelor of Commerce student?
              'Would you like fries with that?'

Did you hear about the painter called Harry?

He was very renowned for making a dime wherever he could, he would often thin the paint down to make it go a tiny bit further. As it happened, he got away with this for some time. As luck would happen, a church decided to do a big restoration job on the painting of one of their biggest churches. Harry put in a bid and he got the job because of his low very tender.

So he set to erecting the trestles and setting up the planks, buying the paint and yes, true to form he once again thinned down his paint with the turpentine.

Well, Harry was up on the scaffolding, painting away, the job nearly completed, when suddenly there was a horrendous clap of thunder and the sky opened pouring rain down, washing the thinned paint from all over the church and Harry fell off the scaffold and landed on the lawn, among the gravestones, surrounded by telltale puddles of the thinned and useless paint.

Harry was no fool. He knew this was a judgment from the Almighty, so he got on his knees and cried: "Oh God! Please forgive me! What can I do"?

And from the thunder, a mighty voice spoke... "Repaint! Repaint! And thin no more"!

A man walked into a restaurant and seated himself.

Soon, the waitress came over to take his order. "...and to drink" she asked?

The man said he would like coffee. The waitress promptly returned with a cup of coffee, but spilled it on the man's lap when she stopped at the table.

"Oh my G~d; I am so sorry"!

"That's OK", the man said, sopping up the puddle on his pants with his a napkin - "but tell me, was this regular or decaf"?

"Regular" she replied.

"Oh great, now this thing is going to be up all night"!

This is guaranteed to liven up a boring meeting!
              Do you keep falling asleep in meetings and seminars?
              What about those long and boring conference calls?
              Here's a way to change all that:

Before (or during) your next meeting,seminar, or conference call:

Prepare for the meeting by drawing a square - 5 x 5 is a good size.
              Divide the square into columns - five across and five down.
              In each block, write one of the following words or phrases:
              Whenever you hear any one of those words or phrases, check off the appropriate block.
              When you get five blocks horizontally, vertically,or diagonally, stand up and shout "BULLSHIT!"

synergy | strategic fit | core competencies | best practice | bottom line
              revisit | take that off-line | 24/7 | out of the loop | benchmark
              value added | proactive | win-win | think outside the box | fast track
              result-driven | empower(ment) | knowledge base | at the end of the day | touch base
              mindset | client focus(ed) | ballpark | game plan | leverage

Testimonials from satisfied "Bullshit Bingo" players:

I had been in the meeting for only five minutes when I won.

My attention span at meetings has improved drastically.

What a gas! Meetings will never be the same for me.

The atmosphere was tense in our last process meeting as 14 of us waited for the fifth box.

The speaker was stunned as eight of us screamed BULLSHIT! for the third time in two hours.

The Profound Logic of Children

HOW DO YOU DECIDE WHO TO MARRY?
              You got to find somebody who likes the same stuff. Like, if you like sports, she should like it that you like sports, and she should keep the chips and dip coming.
              Alan, age 10

No person really decides before they grow up who they're going to marry. God decides it all way before, and you get to find out later who you're stuck with.
              Kirsten, age 10

WHAT IS THE RIGHT AGE TO GET MARRIED?
              Twenty-three is the best age because you have known the person FOREVER by then.
              Camille, age 10

No age is good to get married at. You got to be a fool to get married.
              Freddie, age 6

HOW CAN A STRANGER TELL IF TWO PEOPLE ARE MARRIED?
              You might have to guess, based on whether they seem to be yelling at the same kids.
              Derrick, age 8

WHAT DO YOU THINK YOUR MOM AND DAD HAVE IN COMMON?
              Both don't want any more kids.
              Lori, age 8

WHAT DO MOST PEOPLE DO ON A DATE?
              Dates are for having fun, and people should use them to get to know each other. Even boys have something to say if you listen long enough.
              Lynnette, age 8

On the first date, they just tell each other lies, and that usually gets them interested enough to go for a second date.
              Martin, age 10

WHAT WOULD YOU DO ON A FIRST DATE THAT WAS TURNING SOUR?
              I'd run home and play dead. The next day I would call all the newspapers and make sure they wrote about me in all the dead columns.
              Craig, age 9

WHEN IS IT OKAY TO KISS SOMEONE?
              When they're rich.
              Pam, age 7

The law says you have to be eighteen, so I wouldn't want to mess with that.
              Curt, age 7

The rule goes like this: If you kiss someone, then you should marry them and have kids with them. It's the right thing to do.
              Howard, age 8

IS IT BETTER TO BE SINGLE OR MARRIED?
              It's better for girls to be single but not for boys.
              Boys need someone to clean up after them.
              Anita, age 9

HOW WOULD THE WORLD BE DIFFERENT IF PEOPLE DIDN'T GET MARRIED?
              There sure would be a lot of kids to explain, wouldn't there?
              Kelvin, age 8

And the #1 Favorite is........"

HOW WOULD YOU MAKE A MARRIAGE WORK?
              Tell your wife that she looks pretty, even if she looks like a truck.
              Ricky, age 10
              af since the fourth of July 2012...howzat then America..now proudly marching into year 12

Comment

Love the coffee in the lap joke Mick haha!!

Drinkin won't help a damn thing! Will only make me sick for DAYS and that ugly, spacey dumb feeling-no thanks!

Comment

Greetings friends,

I’ve made no secret of my feelings re politics & the clowns in the WH & Congress. I would never disagree with any opinions here but I have to say:
                  1. We have a white supremacy problem in the US. The #1 offender is the current occupant of the WH.
                  2. We have a nearly 300 year old Constitution that is outdated & needs attention.
                  3. Blaming the media for these hate crimes is just wrong. The media does their job - informing us of what’s going on across this large nation. If you want to blame Fox News for spreading hate messages, I am OK with that.
                  4. The US was taken over by big money interests long ago & if you want to include the NRA in that list, that’s OK too.
                  5. We are sorely in need of honest lawmakers, the ones who don’t take money from special interest groups. Then maybe we can get some badly needed work done such as defining ‘right to bear arms’ in 21st century language. The apathy of the president & the congress is unacceptable.

Other than that, it’s been a good day. My son just picked up his dog, I’m happy about that.
                  Still uncomfortable outside, no real relief in sight, oh well.

Hello to everyone & wishing a nice night for all.
                  Lav
                  AF since 03/26/09
                  NF since 05/19/09

Comment

Evening greetings ABerooooskies!

thanks all for the huge and unexpected support I got in my inbox today from my brain-dump yesterday.
                    Sometimes I think I can really help. Other times I just scratch my head a bit.

Mick, hearty agreeance with your followup observations. Love the quotes from the kids

Lav, the media long ago learned that it makes money by zooming in on fiery car crashes, not on races. I suppose yes they are technically
                    'doing their job' in a simplistic sense even if it's intentionally distorted. Both sides have had a good time pitting our population against one another which
                    results in social media filling up with abject hatred and threats.
                    MSM was quick to point out that the EL Paso mass murderer was a right-wing supporter but was rather quiet about personal info on the Dayton mass-murderer
                    as it appears he was a committed left-winger and supporter of Warren and Sanders. is the media really doing their job?
                    Social media is a huge force-multiplier and a potentially dangerous weapon as we've seen.
                    Measures are coming into effect to flag dangerous motivated individuals and I hope they are effective. I am not and have never been an NRA member. Why?
                    precisely because they have a WA lobby. There are of course loads of other lobbies with tons more destructive power but I digress. Until our population develops
                    the capacity to transcend the fast-food of information and think for themselves we are unlikely to have our peaceful revolution. Both sides will hunker-down in
                    full commitment to their broken parties as they watch the whole ship burn and sink. Our political system does not reward honest and peaceful politicians as it currently stands.
                    If the US population pushes for it, we can certainly have a constitutional convention. Again...we outnumber these evil clowns. We are being encouraged to fight
                    each other quite intentionally.

A full day of bobbing between site setup and packing/chucking out what I can here. Boxes here and there...exciting times again!

Pauly, since you're way out here near Sunrise Mt I'm curious if you've hiked around much there? I got a number of my Vegas panoramas from some little
                    hills that are quite close. Certainly less gas then getting all the way over to Red Rock.

combining housewares is interesting... what the heck do we do with two instant pots for example? hmmm. Donating things to those who need them this week.
                    otherwise, eyes glazing over from technical work on the confuser and time to kick back a tad.

Have a great night loves and of course be well
                    nosce te ipsum
                    (Know Thyself)

Comment

Mae everybody,no Det I haven't really explored Sunrise,a few times but nothing crazy, interesting about the other shooter,see I had heard no mention of his political stance but yes heard in great detail of the El Paso guy,I had to go through my FB last night and put alot of my politic pages on snooze,also some of my private alcohol groups on snooze for a bit cuz it just gets to be too much everytime I scroll,I want funny memes not hearing about what trumps done now or someone in the hospital from drinking themselves silly Mick,train lights look fab! That's a fun hobby, waves to all back later have a great BF Tuesday!

Comment

hiya all..how are we all today? good I hope ...its raining on/off here..very unpredictable ..weather is like our politics all over the place...been working on the lighting on the trains ..every light now is on a switch in every house ..Ive put loads of figures in them too..just started soldering up the lamposts .hope we are all doing good,

Went to the Supermarket earlier, there was a sign on the door, ‘No food or drink allowed inside’...so I went home.

One minute me is having a spliff in the cockpit with the captain ..

Next we is emergency landing in valencia and sliding down a shute to get some tapas.

We is having fierce munchies

Donald trump has blamed computer games as the reason behind the mass shootings!... if this was the case, wouldn't people be running round farmyards throwing birds at pigs...?

diane abbot was asked about what she thought of Kashmir and she said that it was warmer than wool.

The Japanese eat very little fat and suffer fewer heart attacks than the British or Americans.

On the other hand, the French eat a lot of fat and also suffer fewer heart attacks than the British or Americans.

The Japanese drink very little red wine and suffer fewer heart attacks than the British or Americans.

The Italians drink excessive amounts of red wine and also suffer fewer heart attacks than the British or Americans.

Conclusion:

Eat & drink what you like. It's speaking English that kills you.

A three-year-old little boy was examining his testicles while taking a bath.

"Mum," he asked, "are these my brains?"

"Not yet."

After a trial had been going on for three days, Finley, the man accused of committing the crimes, stood up and approached the judge's bench. "Your Honor, I would like to change my plea from 'innocent' to 'guilty' of the charges".

The judge angrily banged his fist on the desk. "If you're guilty, why didn't you say so in the first place and save this court a lot of time and inconvenience" he demanded?

Finley looked up wide-eyed and stated, "Well, when the trial started I thought I was innocent, but that was before I heard all the evidence against me".

Poem for Women
                        He didn't like the casserole,
                        And he didn't like my cake.
                        My biscuits were too hard...
                        Not like his mother used to make.

I didn't perk the coffee right,
                        He didn't like the stew,
                        I didn't mend his socks
                        The way his mother used to do.

I pondered for an answer,
                        I was looking for a clue;
                        Then I turned around and smacked him...
                        Like his Mother used to do.

A male patient is lying in a hospital bed with an oxygen mask over his mouth and nose. He is still heavily sedated from a four hour operation. A female nurse's aide appears to sponge his hands and feet.

"Nurse," he mumbles from behind the mask, "are my testicles black?"

Embarrassed, the young aide replies, "I don't know. I'm only here to wash your hands and feet."

He struggles again to ask, "Are my testicles black?"

Reluctantly, the aide pulls back the covers and raises his gown. She holds his penis in one hand and his testicles in her other hand, takes a close look at his genitals and says, "There's
                        nothing wrong with them!"

The man pulls off his oxygen mask and says slowly, "That was nice, but listen closely: Are...my...test...results...back?"

Whaley Bridge dam: Reservoir's water level target reached - BBC News

Comment

Good Tuesday evening everyone,

Can’t wait for tomorrow’s severe storms to clear the air around here. This summer has been brutal.
                          I have all sorts of work coming in that I wasn’t looking for but it’s keeping me in the AC at least

I just read that someone tried to do some shooting in a Baton Rouge Walmart this afternoon.
                          Let’s all agree that this violence is a direct result of HATE - the hate of people! The politics of the shooter doesn’t matter. The mental health of the shooter is most likely not involved either as most mentally ill people are not violent.
                          Fox News - 45’s fav TV show spouted more BS today that will result in more hate crimes. Keeping assault weapons out of the hands of civilians is the first step. Too bad 45 & his band of hateful helpers don’t agree. If one of my children or grandchildren are ever victims of these hate crimes I will simply drop dead

On that happy note Hello to everyone & wishing a safe night for all. I understand other countries are warning their citizens not to visit the US or they may be killed. Isn’t that just splendid?

Lav
                          Last edited by Lavande; August 6, 2019, 06:02 PM.
                          AF since 03/26/09
                          NF since 05/19/09

Comment

I don't blame them Lav,look if we can't even go to a Garlic festival or shopping at Walmart then where can we go? It's gotten to the point of WHEN is the next bad shooting not IF and that's makes me really, really sad watching the news footage of the families who lost loved ones was just too much last night and I just broke down and cried,I hate crying! The state of the world just blows and makes me sick

Comment

MAE ALL...

Yes it does seem that every time you turn on the news there's another mass shooting somewhere. I don't blame you for putting your FB political posts on snooze Pauly. I agree with you Lav, I don't see why any civilian needs an assault weapon ever. A light switch in every house, just like in real life Mick. If the blue light had been interspersed with red I would have guessed cop car right off. Lo Soks like some garage/lawn sales in your future Det. Short post as I have a really sore back. Time to get horizontal. Have a good night all...:smile:PPQP

Comment

Working...
                              X