How many people here only drink socially

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How many people here only drink socially

By that I mean that they rarely drink alone and instead wait until there’s a party, sports event, pub crawl or just go to the pub with friends.
    These events are mainly done in the afternoon or evening and never in the morning.

Re: How many people here only drink socially

Nobody
    I have too much shit to do today and tomorrow to drink:sohappy:

I'm taking care of the "tomorrow me":thumbsup:
    Drinkin won't help a damn thing! Will only make me sick for DAYS and that ugly, spacey dumb feeling-no thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by paulywogg View Post
      Nobody
      :harhar:

Comment

Originally posted by scotskev81 View Post
        By that I mean that they rarely drink alone and instead wait until there’s a party, sports event, pub crawl or just go to the pub with friends.
        These events are mainly done in the afternoon or evening and never in the morning.
        Not a relevant question on a website dedicated to alcoholism [MENTION=21863]scotskev81[/MENTION]
        Is that your drinking habits you describe there ?

Comment

Yeah I was a social drinker. I thought my own company was hilarious. Half a bottle of vodka between me and the dog every night. She's tee total, so I got it all.
          It was really a party, sports event and pub crawl combination.
          The party was for the first hour or so.
          The pub crawl was actually on my hands and knees a couple of times. Back to the fridge for more.
          The sports event was the marathon 'Survivor'- type episode of self loathing - getting up and functioning the next day.

But never in the morning.

As it turned out, there was nothing social about it.
          Last edited by byebyebridgetjones; September 28, 2019, 01:29 AM.
          If your 8 year old self met you, would they be proud?
          Rejoined life 20/5/19

Comment

Originally posted by paulywogg View Post
            Nobody
            It might not be nobody. Alcohol drinkers have many different habits.

What about the people that go to pubs/bars and drink too much? I think it's ok to talk about them on this forum too.

Comment

It might not be nobody. Alcohol drinkers have many different habits.

What about the people that go to pubs/bars and drink too much? I think it's ok to talk about them on this forum too.
              I get your point maybe Kev... I have a SIL and BIL - both of whom imvvvho are pretty much raving alkies - but their drinking habits and patterns are completely different. She drinks most every day - lots of the day and night till she conks out.. she drinks (she admits to half bottle) maybe half bottle to 3/4 pint bottle of gin a day at home - with pints added in at the weekend in the pub - she knows she's an alcoholic - she has been to rehab (unsuccessfully) and she is mocked relentlessly by her husband.
              Her husband never drinks at home.. considers it a terrible crime. He finishes work every evening at about 5pm and proceeds to the pub till closing time and drinks maybe 10 pints of beer a night... he has (self declared) 'no problem' with drink.
              So long term - who is in the better situation? I guess he consumes more units than she does - by a long way.. and he's utterly in denial. If either of them are ever going to find recovery I guess it'll be her...
              So what's your exact point?
              Contentedly sober since 27/12/2011
              contentedly NF since 8/04/14

Comment

Originally posted by mollyka View Post
                I get your point maybe Kev... I have a SIL and BIL - both of whom imvvvho are pretty much raving alkies - but their drinking habits and patterns are completely different. She drinks most every day - lots of the day and night till she conks out.. she drinks (she admits to half bottle) maybe half bottle to 3/4 pint bottle of gin a day at home - with pints added in at the weekend in the pub - she knows she's an alcoholic - she has been to rehab (unsuccessfully) and she is mocked relentlessly by her husband.
                Her husband never drinks at home.. considers it a terrible crime. He finishes work every evening at about 5pm and proceeds to the pub till closing time and drinks maybe 10 pints of beer a night... he has (self declared) 'no problem' with drink.
                So long term - who is in the better situation? I guess he consumes more units than she does - by a long way.. and he's utterly in denial. If either of them are ever going to find recovery I guess it'll be her...
                So what's your exact point?
                My point is what you made there – that there are different types of alcoholics and also some that might not be considered alcoholics.

I was just asking if there are many social drinkers (social alcoholics) on the forum and interested if they have also found the forum.
                I suspect the forum will be mainly of what society deems NOT social drinkers.

I was in a night club in Ireland at the weekend and everyone was drinking loads. Double whiskey, double vodka, pints, shots etc..
                Seems to be ok if EVERYONE is doing it. :-(

Comment

My point is what you made there – that there are different types of alcoholics and also some that might not be considered alcoholics.

I was just asking if there are many social drinkers (social alcoholics) on the forum and interested if they have also found the forum.
                  I suspect the forum will be mainly of what society deems NOT social drinkers.

I was in a night club in Ireland at the weekend and everyone was drinking loads. Double whiskey, double vodka, pints, shots etc..
                  To reiterate Pauly..............nobody.

Way back when My Way Out (2007) started it was the plan that we learn be able to drink moderately......using various drugs/potions and willpower........when I say moderately I'm talking a glass or two once or twice a week.
                  Over the past decade or so it has turned/morphed into a non-drinking website...........full of advice/ strategies to get through rough spots of our life/ changing our social habits and friendship without the prop of alcohol.

And yes my husband likes a drink, my friends. most of my family.......he's not an alkie. They discuss it on FB.

And its not just the Irish that can swallow down the grog............have a trip up to Glasgow/Newcastle........... any major city on a weekend and they can shovel it down.
                  Last edited by JackieClaire; October 1, 2019, 04:25 AM.
                  It could be worse, I could be filing.
                  AF since 7/7/2009

Comment

Originally posted by JackieClaire View Post
                    To reiterate Pauly..............nobody.

Way back when My Way Out (2007) started it was the plan that we learn be able to drink moderately......using various drugs/potions and willpower........when I say moderately I'm talking a glass or two once or twice a week.
                    Over the past decade or so it has turned/morphed into a non-drinking website...........full of advice/ strategies to get through rough spots of our life/ changing our social habits and friendship without the prop of alcohol.

And yes my husband likes a drink, my friends. most of my family.......he's not an alkie. They dicuss it on FB.

And its not just the Irish that can swallow down the grog............have a trip up to Glasgow/Newcastle........... any major city on a weekend and they can shovel it down.
                    I know. am in Scotland and know those cities well. :-(

Comment

Smacks of 'I'm not as bad as.....' Kev... my adult 'children' (25-38) have regularly gone to the night club and had the shots,doubles,pints etc... so did I back in the day. The difference being.. we all looked the same at the time in the club but even as a young one (LONG before I would have been categorised as a problem drinker - never mind an alcoholic) when I would go home from the pub or club I regularly remember inviting pals back for a 'night cap' -- we made our own beer and wine... did I want their company? nah -- I wanted to not finish... my 'children' on the other hand - go to the club - go home - drink a pint of water and go to bed - get up with a hangover and don't drink again for a week at least... so to compare with others is utterly utterly futile.
                      Look inside your head Kev - with real honesty - is your drinking a problem? Is controlling it a problem? If it walks like a duck etc...….
                      Don't waste years fighting it - I remember being at an AA meeting - well into recovery as were most people at the meeting... some with 30 years sobriety - an old man stood up and said he had finallybeen told of a way to control his drinking. EACH and EVERY person at that meeting sat up and paid attention.... 'HOW'???? 'ach he says - it's simple - if I stand in a stream with a copper bracelet on my wrist - and hey bingo!!!' ---- 'DOES IT WORK'???? ----'no'
                      You can't go back Kev.. you can fight it for years and waste all those years.. or you can take that leap of faith.. it is a whole new life... stop questioning - as they said to me in rehab - 'leave your brains at the door' -- just believe and go for it
                      Last edited by mollyka; October 1, 2019, 05:02 AM.

Comment

Smacks of 'I'm not as bad as.....' Kev... my adult 'children' (25-38) have regularly gone to the night club and had the shots,doubles,pints etc... so did I back in the day. The difference being.. we all looked the same at the time in the club but even as a young one (LONG before I would have been categorised as a problem drinker - never mind an alcoholic) when I would go home from the pub or club I regularly remember inviting pals back for a 'night cap' -- we made our own beer and wine... did I want their company? nah -- I wanted to not finish... my 'children' on the other hand - go to the club - go home - drink a pint of water and go to bed - get up with a hangover and don't drink again for a week at least... so to compare with others is utterly utterly futile.
                        Look inside your head Kev - with real honesty - is your drinking a problem? Is controlling it a problem? If it walks like a duck etc...….
                        Don't waste years fighting it - I remember being at an AA meeting - well into recovery as were most people at the meeting... some with 30 years sobriety - an old man stood up and said he had finallybeen told of a way to control his drinking. EACH and EVERY person at that meeting sat up and paid attention.... 'HOW'???? 'ach he says - it's simple - if I stand in a stream with a copper bracelet on my wrist - and hey bingo!!!' ---- 'DOES IT WORK'???? ----'no'
                        You can't go back Kev.. you can fight it for years and waste all those years.. or you can take that leap of faith.. it is a whole new life... stop questioning - as they said to me in rehab - 'leave your brains at the door' -- just believe and go for it

Thank you for the kind words.

I can’t stop drinking on the social side of it sadly. Must go out and enjoy myself. For me I can have one glass of wine and that’s it.
                        At a party or weekend away it’s full steam ahead matching other people drink for drink.
                        At no time do I drink alone or if I feel awful the next day. (I’ll drink that evening after am better but don’t do hair of the dog)

I’m happy that I’m not at the stage of drinking into oblivion and I at least know when to call it a night. Problem is I always want to go out after a few days/weeks. Non alcoholic beer has helped but it’s not a permanent switch for me.

Comment

Thank you for the kind words.

I can’t stop drinking on the social side of it sadly. Must go out and enjoy myself. For me I can have one glass of wine and that’s it.
                          At a party or weekend away it’s full steam ahead matching other people drink for drink.
                          At no time do I drink alone or if I feel awful the next day. (I’ll drink that evening after am better but don’t do hair of the dog)

I’m happy that I’m not at the stage of drinking into oblivion and I at least know when to call it a night. Problem is I always want to go out after a few days/weeks. Non alcoholic beer has helped but it’s not a permanent switch for me.
                          okay - so if I read you right... you go out regularly and have one glass of wine.. you drink WITH others occasionally at a party or a weekend away - never drink alone - never perk yerself up the next day with a drink - never drink to 'sleeping' stage... (that's passing out in rehab speak) and always know how to stop.... can I ask WHY on gods earth you googled an alcoholics website? I'm not being mean - I'm really really curious - I woke up on the couch at 3am one morning - cold shaky frightened sick and sad and not sure if I'd upset people or not.. that's when I googled 'alcoholism'

Comment

okay - so if I read you right... you go out regularly and have one glass of wine.. you drink WITH others occasionally at a party or a weekend away - never drink alone - never perk yerself up the next day with a drink - never drink to 'sleeping' stage... (that's passing out in rehab speak) and always know how to stop.... can I ask WHY on gods earth you googled an alcoholics website? I'm not being mean - I'm really really curious - I woke up on the couch at 3am one morning - cold shaky frightened sick and sad and not sure if I'd upset people or not.. that's when I googled 'alcoholism'
                            Because I still overdo it with alcohol and I can't seem to quit. Just because I'm not at the chronic stage of endless addiction doesn't mean I couldn't make an attempt to quit. It can only get worse and I was looking for advice and also to see how other people cope, or what methods they used. I was also sick of the hangovers and wondered about what am doing to my health. Also wanted to hear from people who had quit and what it felt like. Many reasons really.

At the time I didn't have a problem but 1 year ago today I found I had some liver damage from a blood test. It's all fine now and I'm putting it down to the paracetamol I took a few times in quick succession in September 2018.

Alcohol still a big thing in my life and a topic of interest to me.

Comment

Fair enough..but you DO contradict yourself somewhat..some form of denial going on there..even down to blaming paracetamol? Really? You say you can't stop..but do you want to? It sounds like no tbh..I fear you may be trying to rationalise your drinking...believe me..plenty here weren't at end stage chronic alcoholism..but they accepted where it was inevitably heading

Comment

Working...
                              X