Ssri

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ssri

I am wanting to stop talking the SSRI I was prescribed for a Seratonin deficiency. I believe it did help me eventually quit drinking and 430 days sober I would like to stop taking my 10 mg Citalopram. I read it can be dicey for a long time and any tips would be very much appreciated.
    Is Addiction Really a Disease?
    Watch this and find out....
    http://youtu.be/ekDFv7TTZ4I

Re: Ssri

Hi, 4theboyz. If you want to try a natural alternative, L-tryptophan is the amino acid precursor of serotonin and works well for some people. All the best, NS

Comment

Originally posted by NoSugar View Post
      Hi, 4theboyz. If you want to try a natural alternative, L-tryptophan is the amino acid precursor of serotonin and works well for some people. All the best, NS
      Thanks! I had no idea I was in for such a challenge. I am leaning in the direction you are suggesting. I want to beat this at it's own game!

Comment

I've read it's best to taper off your SSRI slowly so you don't have a brutal discontinuation period,I think some people can ease off it ok but others have issues
        I have too much shit to do today and tomorrow to drink:sohappy:

I'm taking care of the "tomorrow me":thumbsup:
        Drinkin won't help a damn thing! Will only make me sick for DAYS and that ugly, spacey dumb feeling-no thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by paulywogg View Post
          I've read it's best to taper off your SSRI slowly so you don't have a brutal discontinuation period,I think some people can ease off it ok but others have issues
          I have read both sides of the coin. I will let you know which one I pursue. Right now I am tapering day 2.

Comment

I went off Zoloft in 2 days with no problems but that was before I read that some people taper off for months,I honestly had no clue but I think that worked to my advantage honestly

Drinkin won't help a damn thing! Will only make me sick for DAYS and that ugly, spacey dumb feeling-no thanks!

Comment

How's it going [MENTION=5134]4theboyz[/MENTION] ? We're you able to taper off relatively easy, would love to hear from you

Comment

Originally posted by paulywogg View Post
                How's it going [MENTION=5134]4theboyz[/MENTION] ? We're you able to taper off relatively easy, would love to hear from you
                Sorry for the late reply [MENTION=17650]paulywogg[/MENTION]. I did taper. I took my docs suggestion of a reduction schedule and I ended up halving the suggested doseage and did it in half the time. Not quite cold turkey but did it over 5 days. It was harder than I thought. My only barometer has been alcohol detox which has never been more than a few days of groggy grumpiness but the SSRI was indeed a trip I won't want to take again anytime soon. It was weird in that my mind was going 120 mph yet I was moving in slow motion to the point I got pissed that I was moving so damn slow. Even my thoughts would bottleneck in my skull. I could think a million miles and hour yet the thoughts would linger and clog up in my head. And then the Brain Zaps! Holy Shit what a mental circus they were. Out of the blue these zappy zings in my head. Almost like a static discharge out of no where. No rhyme or reason just zap and then normal. Not a lot of them and no pattern or predictability. Those went on for a better part of 3 weeks. But it was weird to see how deeply seated chemicals and drugs can become in our bodies and I have a new respect for people trying to quit hard drugs or opiods. Wowza!

Comment

Glad to hear that it went relatively ok

Comment

hi 4theboyz, i have never heard of tapering down antidepressants fast as being a good idea.
                    i'm tapering down on escitalopram. this resembles citalopram, but it is two times stronger, so you can do with a smaller dose. it gave me much less side effects than citalopram, which made be very tired, and often sick (bad effect om my immune system). i started taking ad's for a severe sleeping disorder, caused by too quickly tapering down of other meds (baclofen).
                    i find that the first days after diminishing a dose, i feel good, have much more energy, though i can also feel (sometimes very) agitated. but after 5 - 7 days my mood starts to swing. this can take up to a few weeks to balance out again. so i'd say be careful with tapering down too fast. the effects can emerge later than you'd expect, and can get very bad if the drop in dose is high.
                    i taper down with one drop (which equals 2mg of citalopram) every 14 days, but only when i feel balanced again by that time.

another thing that can really help as a natural support / replacement (up to a certain level) is rhodiola. Rhodiola Rosea Supplement - Science-based Review on Benefits, Dosage, Side Effects | Examine.com
                    You can get it in capsules.

good luck!
                    Last edited by julia1970; January 24, 2020, 01:01 PM.
                    AF since Jan 2nd 2020

Comment

I did taper off per my doctors instructions. I wanted to do it quicker but once the "brain zaps" started I slowed down as I was *NOT* prepared for those at all! I still am sooooo *PISSED* at my doctor for prescribing SSRI's. Worst choice he could have made for me.

Comment

Even though I imagine they help some people, and my brain may be hyper sensitive, I am SUPER WARY of anything that messes with serotonin. Now I'm sure some of this is interaction with with alcohol PAWS, but I think even very low dose trazodone messed me up: initially it seemed to help, then it pushed me into overdrive (totally wired, panic attacks etc.), then shifted more into depression after I stopped taking it. Also, I've had a similar bad reaction to 5-HTP supplements (precursor to serotonin) many years ago. I can only imagine that trying to come off long time SSRI use could be very tricky.

Comment

Working...
                        X