Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need Help/Advice on Something Urgently!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need Help/Advice on Something Urgently!!!

I need some advice. I’m stressing out over here. This is alcohol abuse related, so I figured I would throw this out there to complete strangers and get some unbiased advice.
    I applied for a ton of jobs recently. I’m limited right now, as I don’t have a car. And not being in a major city hurts because the public transportation stinks.
    Anyway, I got a good job offer at the local hospital as a custodian. Not my dream job, but it’s solid work, and in walking distance.
    I’ve already gotten the interview, and they sent me for a physical. Everything has checked except I got my background check printout in the mail today, and there were my two DUIs from 2003 and 2007.
    Now, if you’ll think I’m an idiot, I do as well. I didn’t list those as one is 12 years old, and the other is 16. Both misdemeanors. I had it in my fat head that employers never go back beyond 10 years.
    So, here is the conundrum. I need work SOOO bad. I am broke. I have NO resources. I mean, I just got out of the homeless shelter a little ago and put into public housing, but I still need cash for my electric and prescription med copays, cleaning items for myself and apartment and clothing.
    I really want to get off assistance (and I don’t receive cash, which I found is a necessity.) But mainly, I can’t deal with this stress anymore. I’m a nervous wreck. I felt good about this job prospect and now I think I’m screwed.
    So, do
    1. Assume I lost the job when HR gets a copy of this?
    2. Play dumb like I thought I filled out the application fully and hope it plays.
    3. Call HR before they see it on their own and explain the situation.
    4. Something else I didn’t think of.
    And for the record, I’m almost 100 percent positive they will find out if they didn’t already. I just got the letter today, and HR is only open Monday through Friday.
    Please help. I’m sick over this. Sorry for the long response, I need some outside opinions.
    PS- Yep, my alcoholism will always haunt me (I’m about a month AF as I type this)

Re: Need Help/Advice on Something Urgently!!!

Hi Mashed Potatoes!
    You have nothing to lose by just powering forward and going to that interview. Personally, I would not contact and actually draw attention to those charges. I would just turn up to the interview and if they mention it have a good honest answer ready for them. Like 'that was a long time ago and I'm so glad that part of my life is well and truly over'
    If nothing else you will be in with a chance. It will also be interview experience and they may well have an eligibility list if you don't get this particular job. It's all about getting yourself out there, then someone will bite.
    Glad to hear about your one month sober. THAT is the way to make life work for you again.
    The best wayto re-build yourself is to check in here and/or other forums and look after your sobriety first. I'm not an AA girl but they have some awesome sayings, like 'whatever you put ahead of your sobriety, you will lose' SO true.
    If your 8 year old self met you, would they be proud?
    Rejoined life 20/5/19

Comment

Hi Mashed

Just fill the form out and submit it, dont contact anyone or explain anything. People have done much worse than you have and be confident in yourself that you have the ability to do the job to the best of your ability. I work in a hospital and any check they did i got paranoid about even though i had not offenses. Take a deep breath and as Bridget said it was years ago and have a set response if/when they ask you. Drinking is not your life anymore if you dont want it to be. Since i have given up drinking i have been promoted 3 pay grades, its amazing what you can achieve sober. Dont let al into your life and you will achieve your dream job, anything is possible.

Good luck and keep posting on here.
      AF free 1st December 2013 - 1st December 2022 - 9 years of freedom

Comment

I already got job and start date but my background check is showing stuff I didn't admit too at first so we m pretty screwed.

Comment

I would think you will be just fine. You already have the job and this was so long ago.
          When are you starting? If HR does call you, just be prepared. Bad period of your life that is over.
          Congratulations on being AF!! And congratulations on all the positive changes you are making.
          "Only I can change my life. No one can do it for me.".....Carol Burnett
          AF - 7-27-15

Comment

Yes, you have been given the job and a start date, don't say anything. if they bring it up, as others have mentioned, just say it was a long time ago and in the past. Maybe mention that you don't even own a car, if pressed. I think you'll be good. Most background checks are looking for more sinister things.

Comment

I wouldn't mention it at all - and if THEY do - I would tell them (big porky I know but!!!) how proud you are of your years and years of sobriety etc... they can't argue with that!!! and in the meantime - get that month stretching and stretching and don't let drink loose or potentially loose anything else in your life!! well done
              Contentedly sober since 27/12/2011
              contentedly NF since 8/04/14

Comment

Thank you all for your great support, and offer suggestions. Here is the biggest problem yet, and I'm freaking over this. Need Help ASAP. I got an email from the HR contact stating I needed to send an email copy of my background check before end of day Wendesday if I want to start the job Dec. 2. So, she is going to know darn well I saw what she will see, and will no doubt wonder why I didn't put these arrest on my app.

Now, I HAVE to email her the document. My question is, 1 do I do it and get it over with, or wait until Wednesday giving them less time to renig my offer. Secondly, do I sent the attachment with just a Thank you, or do I put in the email, "Oh my gosh, I can't believe all this showed up! I have no idea! Something like that. What would all of you do? I need this job bad, I can't take this stress anymore.

Thanks!!

Comment

I would just email it with "please find attached background check as requested. Kind regards".
                  They will ask questions if they need to, you dont need to waffle on and try and justify yourself.
                  Fingers crossed.
                  AF free 1st December 2013 - 1st December 2022 - 9 years of freedom

Comment

I agree with Ava. Send it now and don't comment on it. 2007 was a long time ago.

Comment

Again, thanks to all. This has been such a stressful time in my life. I want to get back on track, obviously. I've never been out of work this long (out of money,) and as a recovering drunk, it's double hard. It's easier not to drink, because I'm broke, but the seconds seem like days not knowing where things are going, and it is breaking me down big time. Like I said when I started this thread, it was al related, because my rap sheet is from years ago, but that sh*t can follow you, and does. So alcohol doesn't just mess with you in the present when we slip and screw up, it's a lifetime of regret, fear, and what ifs.

Thanks again. Hope to be back shortly with good news.

Comment

Working...
                      X