Detours and Construction.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Detours and Construction.

There are people in your life that you love that are on the road with you during your sobriety journey. On this road, there are detours, dead ends, stop lights, green lights, and rest areas. At each point, there's a choice to Stop or Go. Sometimes we turn right on red and defy the expected course.... and sometimes we run red lights and charge forward, blindly, hoping that no one broadsides us.

Of course, there are speed bumps along this road, along with construction zones and extra warning signs. For me, construction zones are where we can slow down to make sure the roads we are following are the best path.

This construction zone is where I found my sobriety. I made sure to "change my oil, fill up the gas tank, and check my tires" before starting my drive. I made sure the passengers with me were also wearing their safety belts, and I paid attention to the road. I looked out for the workers on the shoulder, and watched out for the heavy equipment and stayed away from the pot holes.

And while I think I've made it through the construction zone, and I'm still headed in the right direction, I know that there will be more bumps ahead. I know that I have FREE WILL to make these choices. I can't force anyone to stay in my car, nor for their cars to stay in their lanes. I just have to make sure that I take care of me, and my car.

Three weeks ago, I was at a trade show and saw a work friend- we had not seen each other for 6 or 7 months, and part of the benefit of being alcohol free (for me) has been weight loss. I've lost about 20 pounds. My face is no longer puffy, and my clothes fit better. My waist line has definitely trimmed down, so when she saw me, she complimented me about losing weight! The next day, during a break between customers, she said to me again: "Wow! You seem so put together! You are so happy, and you look great! What's your secret?"

Proudly, but then again not ready to shout it from the mountain top, I honked my own horn, "Well, I quit drinking in October"!

This was a big step for me: admitting that I needed to obey the ROAD CLOSED sign, and to DETOUR to a better road, and to understand that this road was the best one for my life. I am getting better at this, following this road, and ignoring those exit ramps that lead to the wrong roads.

Staying on this road is by choice. Today my seat belt is fastened, I'm using my blinkers, and I'm following the road signs along the way.

Don't be afraid to honk your own horn. :happy2:
    "God didn't give you the Strength to get back on your feet
    so that you can run back to the same thing that knocked you down."
    :hug:

Re: Detours and Construction.

Way to go, NHHL! Good to see you here. I saw that post of Byrdie's you put on Kevin's thread. I'm glad you saved that - a good reminder.

Glad you followed that detour last October!

Pav

Comment

Re: Detours and Construction.

Thank you, Pav! I went through some old posts to find the ones that really resonated with me... I've been here (off and on) since 2008 and this forum really helped me back then. Now that I have my stuff together, I wish there were more people on here to share with. Be safe! Patty
      "God didn't give you the Strength to get back on your feet
      so that you can run back to the same thing that knocked you down."
      :hug:

Comment

Working...
      X