doing sober october

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

doing sober october

Going to do it and have infact decided to start a little early. Yesterday 21st September was in bed all day with a hangover so that can count as day 1 even though was drinking till about 2am that day.

If get through sober october be great to keep going and hopefully forever.

Re: doing sober october

Great goal! You've had sober time before I'm sure you'll get though ok, we'll be here to cheer you on
    I have too much shit to do today and tomorrow to drink:sohappy:

I'm taking care of the "tomorrow me":thumbsup:
    Drinkin won't help a damn thing! Will only make me sick for DAYS and that ugly, spacey dumb feeling-no thanks!

Comment

It takes humility to keep coming back. Many people here tried and tried again, and what finally got us was that acceptance that we had to actually quit for good. It is like a weight off your shoulders and sets a foundation for whatever comes next. You got this!

Pav

Comment

Great idea! How do you prepare for Sober October? Do you have a plan or a toolbox?

A wise person once said, "failing to prepare is preparing to fail' so use these days leading up to October to get your resources together. Here is a very helpful thread:

My own personal recommendation is a book called "The Enexpected Joy of Being Sober" by Katherine Grey. It is packed full of motivating information and very easy to read.. also available on audiobook.

I just googled SO to see if it is a fundraising event - ie: what can you raise funds for by participating. Here in Australia, I came up with nada. Any ideas anyone?
        Last edited by fickle; September 23, 2020, 04:12 PM.

Comment

I have a list of points rather than a plan. I decided to go out and enjoy my last sunday drinking just 2 of us out.

NOticed that a lot of people are not drinking as much due to lockdown. The days of going out in a group of 5 of us is over.

Other friend has a kid now so he barley gets out anymore and it will be easy to say no. The weather is not as nice so there's no need to go driniking in my parents garden anyore, my future wife doesn't drink at all (gave up at new year and before that hardly drank). just me and one die hard mate left.

Doing sober october and I have things like sports channels in the house to amuse me. Also want to try that keto diet that worked so well a few months ago, (keto is no carbs so doesn't work with beer).

Plan is also to say I enjoyed the sober october that decided to keep going as it save me money and not missing the hangovers. Real reason is to improve health and stop being so stupid.

Comment

Great idea. I am joining you for this. I have been where you were so many times before. You can do this. Lets beat AL and tell it where it belongs, down the drain and still on the shelves not to be bought ever.
            I quit drinking on March 8, 2020. Taking it One Day At A Time and no more taking my quit for granted.

Also doing it for me. I got to stay sober for me.

Just consecrate on today and do what you can to remain sober for today and worry about staying sober tomorrow, tomorrow.

Comment

yes. done 8 days so far. think my record has been 53 days in the past.

Comment

I haven't failed yet... but I will tomorrow. Needing to do it. Very glad I've managed 3 weeks. Must always celebrate these little success's as they are better than nothing.

Comment

drinking beer now. delete this thread :-(

Comment

Hey Kev.

It happens mate. Take care of yourself there tonight. Try to take it easy, and drink some water in between beers. Why not go for it again tomorrow. All is not lost. Get back on the train, it's waiting for you bro. Do another 20 days till end of October and see how u feel then.

Depends what u want to do. Listen to your heart.
                    Last edited by Guitarista; October 10, 2020, 08:44 PM.

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

Ever so thankful to be sober today and last night. Passed my 7th month not drinking anniversary and so proud to be sober.
                      I quit drinking on March 8, 2020. Taking it One Day At A Time and no more taking my quit for granted.

Just consecrate on today and do what you can to remain sober for today and worry about staying sober tomorrow, tomorrow.

Comment

Last night I went to a haunted house with my friends who I used to drink with. Had no issues since we did not go anywhere where there was al sold but still proud of myself staying sober. I was able to explain to my friends why I chose to quit drinking and thankfully they are supportive of me. Woke up this morning with no hangover and no regrets. Tonight to celebrate I got some chocolate milk and will drink that tonight even though if I was still drinking, this would be my drinking night. Thank god those days are over.

If I was still drinking I would have been finding a way to drink. Glad that I could through the even clear headed and without thinking about alcohol at all while at the haunted house.

Comment

Originally posted by DriftyAlison0 View Post
                          Last night I went to a haunted house with my friends who I used to drink with. Had no issues since we did not go anywhere where there was al sold but still proud of myself staying sober. I was able to explain to my friends why I chose to quit drinking and thankfully they are supportive of me. Woke up this morning with no hangover and no regrets. Tonight to celebrate I got some chocolate milk and will drink that tonight even though if I was still drinking, this would be my drinking night. Thank god those days are over.

If I was still drinking I would have been finding a way to drink. Glad that I could through the even clear headed and without thinking about alcohol at all while at the haunted house.
                          Great post. I can tell you that it gets easier. If someone told me in February 2010, that I would not drink again, I would’ve laughed. So, here I am sober since 4/13/10. All the stuff I associated drinking because are now happily lost to me. I wish the same for you. Blessings x
                          “Outside of a dog a book is man’s best friend. Inside of a dog it’s too dark to read”

Comment

Working...
                          X