Came close but.. Didn't drink

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Came close but.. Didn't drink

However, texted a friend to come round and get drunk to watch sport...but he declined.

If had accepted id be drunk right now. Fate has helped this time but I know I'll be drinking soon 😞.

Re: Came close but.. Didn't drink

Originally posted by scotskev81 View Post
    However, texted a friend to come round and get drunk to watch sport...but he declined.

If had accepted id be drunk right now. Fate has helped this time but I know I'll be drinking soon 😞.
    Hi Kev!!

Just saw this and my first reaction was why? Why would you want to get drunk? You've done so well. I checked back on the Super Sunday Shoutout thread and you have 78 days sober today!! Amazing and bloody well done! So what made you want to get drunk with your friend? Maybe boredom, loneliness? Maybe just want to see what it would be like after 2-1/1 months sober? Just asking if you can sort of pinpoint the reason or reasons. The way I look at it is this (my own view of things, of course) - if your friend had come over with the purpose of getting drunk, not to have a good time together, what is the point? You start off with a conversation and a few laughs, maybe watch TV or something and in a short time, after a few drinks, you aren't really enjoying yourself, the conversation turns silly or you can't really follow what's on TV and slowly but surely, or maybe faster, you get plastered and that's the end of the evening. You wake up the next morning feeling like crap, you can't remember half of what happened the night before and you're upset with yourself for giving in to that voice that told you you want to get drunk. So what would be the point. Better you should ask your friend over for a game of backgammon or a movie or just a good old talk without the booze so that you really can enjoy each other's company and you wake up the next day feeling that you really did have an enjoyable time with your friend. Anyway, as I said, just my take on it. You have done so well so far and I'm sure you would much more enjoy the proud feeling of NOT drinking rather than the regret of having wasted an evening with your friend. I do think if you can try to understand what was behind this desire to get drunk, that it might help you. These are difficult times - we are in our third lock-down here in Greece - and many people are lonely and having a tough time with it. I myself are one of those but I know that drinking will never help the situation, only make it worse. You really should be proud of your 78 days - not an easy thing to do and you've made it to almost three months!! I say keep it up!!
    For every 60 seconds that you are angry, you lose a minute of happiness.
    AF since 10/10/2015:yay:

Comment

Originally posted by scotskev81 View Post

If had accepted id be drunk right now. Fate has helped this time but I know I'll be drinking soon ��.
      If you want sobriety enough Kev - you'll get it.. but you have to want it.. do the pro's and con's -- literally write down a list -- full disclosure to yourself... if that's not enough to keep you sober -- do the same after you do go on a bender -- write it down... no one wants to live with addiction.. it's just telling yourself that is the hard part... I would plead with you not to lose this quit -- but nothing I say will change your mind.... only you can do that... only you know if you have it in you -- not to run with the crowd
      Contentedly sober since 27/12/2011
      contentedly NF since 8/04/14

Comment

Hi, Kev--

I think the word that's useful to me is acceptance. If I want to have the life I want, alcohol can't be a part of it. As I wrote in the Nest, that first year was rough for me - it was a slog through uncertainty, shame, guilt, and questions. But what got me through was the absolute understanding that alcohol couldn't be a part of the life I wanted for myself - my job, my marriage. I like the idea of Molly's list - think of all you've gained. After 7 years, i will also say that at 70 days, I couldn't see all I WOULD gain. Hang on tight and set yourself up for success...

Pav

Comment

Agree with what Pav says...and also...this is something I didn't understand until some kind person here set me straight....it isn't as simple as getting 70 days or weeks or months sober and then decide to have a blow out and get back on board afterwards....no subsequent quit will be as easy...your body was starved of alcohol for all that time..you re-introduce it...and every pore of your being will demand feeding ....I'm not making it up...my first quit (6 months or so) was so bloody simple....why not drink again and quit again??? That led to the worst 3 years of my life
          Contentedly sober since 27/12/2011
          contentedly NF since 8/04/14

Comment

Hello Kev. There is a reason you stopped drinking. Really think about the why. In that answer you’ll find truth and perhaps you will reevaluate the decision to drink again!
            “Outside of a dog a book is man’s best friend. Inside of a dog it’s too dark to read”

Comment

Thank you. I am not sure how much longer it will last but it has certainly been good for health. Health is the number one reason we all want to stop right? if alcohol was harmless but felt the same no one would want to stop.

Comment

Working...
              X