Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does Baclofen work if you don't have anxiety?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does Baclofen work if you don't have anxiety?

Seems all the success stories I've read with high dose Baclofen the person also had anxiety. Anyone have experience or know someone that was successful with Baclofen if they didn't have an anxiety problem?

Re: Does Baclofen work if you don't have anxiety?

[MENTION=24133]MrsOwl[/MENTION], I think that Baclofen should work whether or not a person has chronic anxiety. As you titrate up in dosage it should still have the effect of reducing cravings and consumption. The anxiety relief is just a very welcome extra bonus for most heavy drinkers.
    Last edited by _serenity_; March 29, 2021, 08:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by _serenity_ View Post
      [MENTION=24133]MrsOwl[/MENTION], I think that Baclofen should work whether or not a person has chronic anxiety. As you titrate up in dosage it should still have the effect of reducing cravings and consumption. The anxiety relief is just a very welcome extra bonus for most heavy drinkers.
      Thanks for your reply. My husband has an appointment with his doctor to ask for a prescription for Baclofen. I just hope his doc will prescribe it at a high enough dose to be effective. He's tried other meds and nothing has helped. From everything I read in this forum and "The End of My Addiction" it sure sounds promising. Though he is the least anxious person I know. Doesn't typically worry about anything. So not the reason for his drinking. Only times he has anxiety is for a week after a binge but I think that is due to withdrawal.

Comment

I would certainly say that I have suffered with a fair bit of anxiety, however baclofen did very little to help with that.
        -Ian

Comment

Originally posted by MrsOwl View Post
          Seems all the success stories I've read with high dose Baclofen the person also had anxiety. Anyone have experience or know someone that was successful with Baclofen if they didn't have an anxiety problem?
          I dont think many people regard themselves to have an anxiety issue. It is not something that one can recognise until a certain point.

For me it was when I was sober and sleeping throughout the night i recognised my lack of sleep in a previous life was anxiety. i am a confident, home owning, professional guy, a tad of OCD maybe, but anxiety, lol, never. I got into soberdom, did not wake with this that and the other on my mind. This was the issue, no doubt. No Doubt.

Originally posted by guardian View Post
          I would certainly say that I have suffered with a fair bit of anxiety, however baclofen did very little to help with that.
          Comment taken, however the vast majority of the anecdotal evidence would suggest otherwise. i hope you are in a good place.

Regards,

Bacman.
          I am not a Doctor - I am an alcoholic.
          Thoughts expressed here are my own, often poorly put together and littered with atrocious grammar and spelling.

Comment

Originally posted by Baclofenman View Post
            i am a confident, home owning, professional guy, a tad of OCD maybe, but anxiety, lol, never.

Bacman.
            You described my husband exactly.

Comment

[MENTION=24133]MrsOwl[/MENTION]

Looking at all the case reports on baclofene.com, anxiety isn't a determining feature of success. Taking it consistently is, and so is committing to the high doses.

And although he may not have 'anxiety' in the sense of being a timid mouse or worrying that the mole on your arm is cancer, he's currently taking very high doses of emotional anaesthetic, and there's probably a reason for that...

Just saying.

Comment

Thanks for the replies. He saw his doctor but the doctor felt topamax was more effective and wanted him to try that first. We were both disappointed because everything I read seemed like baclofen was exactly what he needed. He started taking the topamax a couple weeks ago and even at the low starting dose he noticed that it was helping with cravings. He is now up to 100mg and hasn't had anything to drink since starting the topamax. Cravings have been manageable and almost gone. I sure hope topamax is the answer and continues to work well for him.

Comment

Originally posted by MrsOwl View Post
                  Thanks for the replies. He saw his doctor but the doctor felt topamax was more effective and wanted him to try that first. We were both disappointed because everything I read seemed like baclofen was exactly what he needed. He started taking the topamax a couple weeks ago and even at the low starting dose he noticed that it was helping with cravings. He is now up to 100mg and hasn't had anything to drink since starting the topamax. Cravings have been manageable and almost gone. I sure hope topamax is the answer and continues to work well for him.
                  That is great news. I wish you both my best wishes.

Regards,

Bacman
                  Last edited by Baclofenman; May 7, 2021, 12:04 PM.
                  I am not a Doctor - I am an alcoholic.
                  Thoughts expressed here are my own, often poorly put together and littered with atrocious grammar and spelling.

Comment

That is wonderful news! Got everything crossed for you - and him.

Comment

Working...
                    X