Trying to find help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trying to find help

Hi. New here, and hoping someone can point me in the right direction. Not asking for medical advice. Just wondering what folks do when their doctor can't help? Feel free to send me a PM if you'd like. Thank you.

Re: Trying to find help

Welcome Stacey.

Try another doc is the first thing that comes to my mind. Possible?

Great to see you wanting to take back your precious life. Here's a link below to our toolbox with some strategies you can consider if looking. Take care of yourself above all.

Last edited by Guitarista; May 29, 2021, 09:45 PM.

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

Hi Stacey, well done on taking the first step in finding MWO and posting. Definitely talk to a different doctor, there is help out there and this can be beaten. Checking in daily and speaking to people here who truly understand is a big part of taking your life back.
      Ethanol is a toxic chemical, why would I drink it?

Comment

Thank you for the link. Definitely some good advice there! I'm trying to find another doc (mine would love to help, but is actually restricted by the head of the medical team at her facility), but there's no one local. I'd also like to find some way to not have it end up in my medical records, but that is seeming more and more less likely :sad:

Comment

Hi [MENTION=24659]StaceyA[/MENTION],

I will send you a PM. You can also find a lot of good info on the medications forum.

Comment

Hello & welcome Stacey!

Glad you found us & want to take back control of your life!
            Please feel free to drop in the Newbies Nest thread & settle in for a while. Lots of people there at all different stages & lots of good advice available. Making a good working plan for yourself is essential for success.

Wishing you the very best!

Lav
            AF since 03/26/09
            NF since 05/19/09
            Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Originally posted by StaceyA View Post
              Hi. New here, and hoping someone can point me in the right direction. Not asking for medical advice. Just wondering what folks do when their doctor can't help? Feel free to send me a PM if you'd like. Thank you.
              I'm in a similar situation unfortunately. Aside from my family doc I've had two referrals but they've been pretty fruitless, everyone seems to just recommend naltrexone (which would be totally useless in my situation) or full on detox (which scares the hell out of me). This last doctor was a total wacko too, I'm not even sure he has any expertise in the field, he seemed more like he was trying to implement a boot-camp style... which is the last thing I was looking for when you're trying to find professional scientific medical advice.
              Last edited by Mulburry; August 22, 2021, 12:58 PM.

Comment

If you don't mind my asking, why would naltrexone be totally useless in your case? Is there something more I should know about it?

Comment

Hi Stacey,

How are you doing? I had a thought....Given your doc wants to help you but is restricted by her colleagues, often it is us who need to do the research and then provide that info to our doc. Nothing stopping your doc doing some quiet research in her spare time on a method you put forward if she wants to help? Then if she can't see it as unsafe, and hasn't technically recommended you take a certain path, then you can take the action and she can simply monitor your (not her) chosen path to health. Dunno if that's worth a crack? no pun intended.

Either way be gentle with yourself. Go for what you want now and leave the old thinking behind. daily action/repetition of healthy thought and action is the simple trick here. Good luck mi amiga.

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

Originally posted by StaceyA View Post
                    If you don't mind my asking, why would naltrexone be totally useless in your case? Is there something more I should know about it?
                    Because (from what I can gather) naltrexone is designed to limit the pleasurable feelings of drinking, so when people have a couple they don't get that buzz and escalate their drinking. In my case I had been drinking the exact same amount every night and was struggling with withdrawal symptoms while trying to cut down (even by small amounts). I've also seen some anecdotal reports of naltrexone making withdrawal symptoms worse, and some sources recommend not using naltrexone until after detox. That being said, I'm sure for people that are struggling with back and forth drinking and moderation, I'm sure it could be quite useful.

Given your doc wants to help you but is restricted by her colleagues, often it is us who need to do the research and then provide that info to our doc. Nothing stopping your doc doing some quiet research in her spare time on a method you put forward if she wants to help? Then if she can't see it as unsafe, and hasn't technically recommended you take a certain path, then you can take the action and she can simply monitor your (not her) chosen path to health. Dunno if that's worth a crack? no pun intended.
                    This is so true. Not trying to be arrogant, but I had done a lot of research and sometimes it seemed like I knew more than the docs when talking about some of this stuff (like baclofen for example seems like something none of them had ever even heard of).
                    Last edited by Mulburry; October 7, 2021, 01:11 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X