January 23

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

January 23

Hello everyone and how are we today then? Hope everyone is well. I'm just watching the Deer running across the hills there are 5 of them now. Been a dry day today, Julie picked the car up this morning... it is immaculate the guy actually even washed and polished it. Up I went to the shops this morning and bought the first of my rose plants for this year. They are really nice I've grown these ones before or and they did well only cost £1.50 each. Tomorrow I am going up to get the pallet wood and make the raised bed in the greenhouse and put my heaters in.

Hiya teegee how are you then? Have you mastered using the iPad yet? I'll let you into a secret I never could! Hope you're settling in well.

Hiya lav and how are you today then? hope all is well full . yes that's exactly how bubble and squeak was invented using leftovers. It actually makes a proper meal nowadays you can put all sorts of things through it ...cheese bacon anything you want. Let's hope your Amish neighbour has a bigger gun than the Deer Hunter. I don't know what it is but again today I tried three other shops and still no red cabbage either raw or pickled. Yes, like you I started on the shop floor made my way to Middle management then ended up as senior management . the actual reason I ended up as senior management was that they restructured the rank system in the prison service I would quite easily have been the highest uniform grade which was chief officer class 1 but in the restructure they did away with that that. Basically the chief one was the regimental Sergeant Major, but to make the service less militaristic they did away with that rank and replace them with governor grades which actually took you out of uniform and put you into a suit. No big deal I was always a believer in your respect the person not the rank but it's certainly changed the structure of the service as a similar thing in the National Health Service where they did away with the rank of matron anyway we digress the world has moved on and is a much better place for it haha. Yes get yb growing red cabbage there is definitely a market for it!

Hiya ppqp, pauly etc hope you are all doing well big shout to you all.

20220123_172338.jpg
    Last edited by Mick; January 23, 2022, 01:20 PM.
    af since the fourth of July 2012...howzat then America..now proudly marching into year 12

Re: January 23

MAE ALL...

Another gorgeous day here, woke up to 9C/48F and plenty of sunshine. Went over a got my chest xray done. Not a sole around on a Sunday. Now if only we could get the labs to open on a Sunday.

Mick...nice that Julie's car got the complete treatment. That's a bonus. The roses look great, you do have good luck with them. Hope your trip to get the pallets is a good one.

Lav...I actually made homemade mushroom soup yesterday. It tasted so good I didn't even put the cream in it. That's lunch for a couple of days next week. The shelves in the stores are getting pretty bare and with the new restrictions for truckers it's only going to get worse.

TG...glad to see your post actually made it. That can be really frustrating. Good luck with the Ipad, I'm sure you'll figure it out.

Going to go for a walk around the complex and take advantage of this weather while it last. Have a good day all....:smile:PPQP

Comment

Greetings friends,

A bit warmer today but less sunshine. Tonight we’re supposed to have snow showers that I didn’t order, haha!!!
      Today’s soup du jour was black bean lentil, pretty good. That bread I baked last night is delicious! I’m keeping that recipe

Cyn, I saw your post on yesterday’s thread. All I use is my iPad anymore, the laptop generally sits quiet. I have the Pro series, it’s bigger with a regular keyboard, easy to use. You’ll get the hang of it.
      Having a heated garage is awesome & safer, glad you have that. Hope everything is OK with you :hug:

Mick, love the orange & lavender roses!! I have one large climbing rose that I actually brought with me from my previous house. I was just saying yesterday I want to get some more roses. Hope they do well for you. I read today that some hospital system in Wisconsin managed to get a court order to prevent 5 nurses from their jobs. They are all supposed to start new jobs Monday morning in another competitive hospital system. They were offered better salaries, benefits, etc so you can’t blame them!! I’d like to know what the fu*k that judge was thinking of issuing a court order to prevent 5 ‘at will’ employees from leaving one job to start another. There were no contracts or anything like that. These hospitals are being run by corporations/men in business suits who don’t give a damn about anything but their bottom line. One of the nurses actually gave them a chance to match the salary & benefits but they said it wasn’t worth it to them in the long run. I am so glad I am no longer involved, I’d be having a stroke right about now!!!

PQ, when you’re finished with that nice weather would you please send it this way?
      Good job on the soup, my favorite food!!! It’s heartbreaking seeing empty food shelves in teh grocery stores. We’re going to have to be even more creative Iguess.

Hello to Pauly, Det & anyone stopping by.
      Have a nice night all!

Lav
      AF since 03/26/09
      NF since 05/19/09
      Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Good afternoon all how are we today then? hope everyone is well. Went to get the pallet wood this morning, but when I looked at it it honestly wasn't strong enough. In order to make it of any strength I would at least have doubled the thickness of it so instead I bought some scrap builders planks which are an inch thick. Even scrap planks have got a value a pound a foot in length. I have worked out out how it is going to sit in the greenhouse the optimum way they will go. Bit of a drizzly day here, overcast and still a bit foggy.

Hiya ppqp how are you today then? When do you get the results from your X-ray? What are the trucker restrictions over there? Two of my friends are truckers out of Calgary and they haven't mentioned anything. I guess you're back at work today again? As the program manager and every other hat flying about! But at least this time you have the boss on your side take care look after yourself and enjoy the sunshine!

Hiya lav and how are you today? That soup sounds lovely. Aren't we getting classy? Not today's soup but soup du jour! I grew the orange one and the lavender 1-2 years ago you're right there lovely flowers. The world has gone absolutely crazy common sense is a rarity nowadays and they wonder why the world is upside down with some of this stupid rules laws and ideas they have like you you I am glad I am out of it a. At the prison Julie works in, a middle Manager started going off to the governing governor who then said I will see you in my office. This middle Manager said no you won't I'm not coming down and stop picking on me made a complaint and it was investigated and basically the governing governor was told that he should have approached it in another way. I definitely would have approached another way! Trust me there would have been no coffee and biscuits in that discussion! We go away to Scotland touring for about 3 weeks beginning of May in the van. Julie told me she had booked a surprise trip for me when we were out. I'm taking her to Fingal's Cave and to see all the puffins in return she booked a trip on steam train called the Jacobean Express it goes from Fort William to Mallaig. The most famous rail trip in Britain she managed to get set the last booking before July the reason it is so famous it goes over the Glenfinnan Viaduct that is the viaduct that figures in the Harry Potter films. Well chuffed. Wake you you we have empty shelves, I don't know what it is whether it's the Truckers, the factories or what but there are centrally impacts. you take care look after yourself

Hiya teegee how are you today then? hope all is well with you. Every days I know but are you starting to settle in? Take care look after yourself be prepared for lots of photographs from Scotland when I go

Big Show to everyone else take care look after yourself
        af since the fourth of July 2012...howzat then America..now proudly marching into year 12

Comment

Mae all -
          Cloudy here today... makes me realize how sunny it has been recently. Warmer too - but sometimes i do better with colder and sunny... well, i guess it true what my dad always said “whether it’s cold or whether it’s hot, we will have weather, whether or not...” ��

Beautiful roses, Mick!!! Is the white one also a rose? It looks a bit different... but now there are so many varieties available. In one house where i lived there was a crimson climbing rose that filled 8 feet of fence... “Blaze” i believe was the name. When it burst into flower, i used to have a party! So glad that you have the chance to have a long growing season... we are a long way away from that here... and now where i live I will be enjoying someone else’s labors...

PPQ, so glad that you are having a good break from the cold weather. Your soup, sounds delish, good for you! I’m sorry for the lack of food in the stores... i feel lucky that it hasn’t hit the center of the states so far... we’ll see what is in the future. That gives new meaning to “hunter-gatherer...” good luck!

Lav, what a story about the WI nurses!!! That’s totally outrageous, what are we living in, a Banana Republic, where no one gets to choose their workplace? I am glad for you that you haven’t had to be a part of all this disfunction in the medical world recently... but the poor nurses, on the front lines, and no support... dear me. I am doing fine with the iPad. There is a keyboard/cover that i have attached, but it’s not “talking” to the pad... i guess maybe i’ll have to google the directions or take it into a store to get that part going. Happy soup making!

Hello to Pauly and Det, hoping all is well for you both - and hello to anyone dropping by - sending everyone lots of support for this last week of January 2022...

Comment

Well, this is hysterical... after i posted my re-write, suddenly my other post appeared... oh well, leaving them both... lol.

hello all - aaaaaargh, what is going on? I pressed POST, was trying to sign out, and whoosh gone, and no opportunity to get it back... uuugh. I think i am done with change for awhile...

Okay, a shorter hello then...

Mick, beautiful roses - what is the white one? It looks unusual. Lucky you, seeing 5 deer. I must say that i miss seeing all the wildlife that i used to - deer tracks in the snow, my 2 favorite rabbits, birds of all kinds... city life is different. I did however, drive by a Heron Reserve, so i will return there... i could see them huddled in the bit of open water... such beautiful birds.

PPQ, so glad you had success with the mushroom soup...makes me want to try to make some. We are lucky here.. so far the stores are well stocked, but we’ll see how long that lasts. Enjoy the good weather! It’s nice that you are getting a break.

Lav, what a nightmare story about the nurses in Wisconsin!!! Really? Amazing... i hope it is struck down. I am so glad you have not had to be part of nursing these last few years... never an easy career, but pretty tough recently. I hope your daughter is still enjoying her job.

Okay, i am going to quit while i’m ahead, and be sure to press Post before i do anything else...

Hello to Pauly and Det, hoping all is well with you - and hello to all dropping by - wishing us all a good last week of January 2022... these days will never come again, i am trying to stay aware, and appreciate each one.
            Last edited by treegirl; January 24, 2022, 10:23 AM.

Comment

Good evening friends,

It was a touch ‘warmer’ here today which was nice. Now we’re being promised another winter storm for the weekend, oh boy.

Mick, I think you’ll be happier with the thicker wood for your bedding boxes. You know it will hold up better anyway
              Touring Scotland for 3 weeks in your van sounds like a great trip, hope you two enjoy yourselves. We will love the pics too. There’s a truck driving program at the college where YB used to work. I imagine they’re getting a lot of new students right now. I couldn’t imagine driving an 18 wheeler myself but maybe some young person will & help fill in some of the jobs to get supplies moving again. I read today that nursing & medical school applications are up. These young folks are ready & willing to jump in but they’re going to be disappointed with the treatment they get. So many experienced doctors & nurses have left the hospitals due to mistreatment, poor pay, etc. there’s going to be no one left to help them along in their careers. Sad situation.

Cyn, I actually only have 1 friend left working at the hospital & she has said for a long time that the corporations in charge these days want to OWN you. After hearing about that nonsense in WI I totally believe it now. How ridiculous! We’ve always needed unions to protect us but never had them. Time for a big change!!
              My iPad has the keyboard cover too. Have you looked in Settings, Keyboards? Maybe update your iPad as well, there’s been a few updates recently.
              My daughter has cut her hospital work to 1 day/month & is working Monday-Friday at the Delaware schools & likes it very much. I know when I was her age I was pretty fed up with the hospital work too, Lol

Hello to PQ, hope your day was good!

Hello to Pauly & Det. Check in when you can.

Have a nice night all!
              Lav
              AF since 03/26/09
              NF since 05/19/09

Comment

MAE ALL...

Cooler overcast day. With the temps hovering around freezing it kept changing from snow to rain. Just a little reminder that it's still winter. Programs started today and I was busy, mostly trying to figure out what the P.C. had done. Told the boss I could either fire up her laptop and find the spreadsheets to recreate them or just download everything from the online signup again. He said you're probably better off downloading the new data. Boss asked me to step into the P.C.'s office and asked if there we're pictures on the walls. I laughed and said no but that I did put her laptop in the drawer so it didn't go walking. OK, he said, thought she had come in over the weekend and took stuff. The little Nazi accountant was at it again today going on about a business called SoccerTech that runs community soccer programs for various associations. We had used them for 2 years and then there was a big blow up between the P.C. and SoccerTech. Boss had told P.C. that he's thinking of going back to them. Out of 7 community associations we were the only ones who left. She told our Tykes Soccer Players to sign up with a 3rd party group instead. Ya right, it's not like we need the money. Duh! When the accountant left the office the boss said well that was an interesting conversation. I said yup, the more she talks the more confused I get. Boss laughed and said I know exactly what you mean, me too. Well, yet another example we're on the same page. Boss did thank me 3 times for stepping up and taking over programs.

Lav...not another winter storm for the weekend! U.S. south east is getting clobbered. Hope you're able to miss some of it.

TG...it's always all or nothing. LOL I'm not a very creative cook, usually stick to the basics and I can still find most of those things. With the boys not working and not paying rent I don't have any money anyways. LOL There's been a huge increase in people wanting a garden plot this year, no surprise there.

Mick...the doc will get the xray results tomorrow and if there's anything unusual I'm sure I'll hear from her. Truckers now have to be fully vaccinated to travel between Canada/US. They can't get away with being an essential service anymore. I believe most of them are but there's always those who still won't get vaccinated. I was able to get my 3rd shot (booster) at lunchtime today. So in 2 weeks I'm good to go, bring on the masses. LOL Touring Scotland for 3 weeks, jealous.com What a nice surprise Julie booking you on the Jacobean Express. Really looking forward to all the pictures!

Det...been thinking of you and hope all is calm in your world.

Sam...hope you're plugging along working and playing tunes.

Pauly...I hope all your family is healthy again. It looked like you got some cool weather down your way.

Waves to Pi and QW, pop in and let us know how you're doing.

Well it's bacon and tomato sandwiches for dinner so must get at it. Have a good night all....:smile:PPQP

Comment

Hello everyone and how are we today then? First of all happy Burns Day that means tonight's t is haggis tatties and neeps. I've almost finished the raised bed in the greenhouse, all I need is some horse muck and topsoil jobs a good one. Julie is coming home at dinner times to say to her dad make sure he's eating his meals and everything full stop the last 2-days he has looked really well that is because he's being made to eat and drink. But it is a massive strain on her. She phoned the company that provides the carers yesterday and the person she spoke to to made an appointment then cancelled it was supposed to phone back didn't so Julie phoned her and she had forgotten about as much good as a chocolate fireguard.
                  Hiya TG how are you today then? Welcome to the posts go missing Club. Yes we have herons here as well they appear every now and again on the back field, a lot of people round here I've got ponds with fish in them as I used to too it's basically like a McDonald's for them hence the reason I don't have a pond anymore hope things are going well with you. Up the white one isn't a rose it's actually called a philadelphus comma has scented flowers very similar to Jasmine. take care have a great day

Hiya lav how are you then? storm for the weekend? I'm sure it looks better over your way than here. Yes I did use the thicker wood it looks quite good. Yes looking forward to Scotland Loch Lomond Loch Ness then Nevis Isle of Skye the western Isles Shetland Hebrides the Jacobean Express Fingal's Cave Isle of Staffa. I need to remember the last time I was back home I got done for speeding! Amy's solicitor is messing about and there is a chance she will lose the house some crazy technical thing but she isn't very impressed to say the least. Julie got a pension figures through this morning for when she leaves her lump sum and her monthly pension looks like I'll still be on all the beans and a crust of bread haha full stop no seriously she has done not bad out of it but considering she put 40 years and she deserves it. Sounds like your services are much the same as ours they cut it straight back to the bone got rid of the dinosaurs and then suddenly realised they were short staffed recruited lots of new staff who aren't trained and there is nobody left for them to learn from. Talking about unions here's a good one for you many moons ago when I was in charge of security in one of the Knicks I caught an admin member of staff doing something they shouldn't have been doing. She should have been down the road but how union rep fought her corner and because she had a disability, the union rep save her job and she got a 3-year written warning with no avenue of promotion for 3 years as opposed to being sacked and possible criminal proceedings. Guess Who the union rep was haha full stop anyway take care have a nice day

Hiya ppqp and how are you today then question mark hope all is well in sunny Calgary on Sea. Sounds like you have a good Ally in the new boss however don't forget it's ok patting people on the head when their pockets are empty! If you get my drift. Don't be the willing horse. Hope everything went well well with your X-rays and well done on on getting booster bacon and tomato sandwiches? Put some Worcester sauce on them it is great. Take care and have a great day

Big shout out to everyone else stay safe look after yourself and have a good one

Comment

Good evening friends,

Not much sun today so it felt colder. Don’t know what to think about this weekend storm yet. I t could end up hugging the coast the way the last one did. That would be fine with me

PQ, I’m smelling a raise in your future!!! If the new boss is going to depend on you for so much then he should offer some $$ incentive, right?
                    Hope the xray results are OK. Isn’t there some PT work out there for your kids? I think I’d be on my kids about that, haha.

Mick, glad Julie’s pension is sorted out. We don’t need to be rich to be happy, do we? I guess Amy is renting a house somewhere? Guess she could always move home for a while. My daughter was back & forth & in & out a few times until she got married. Her former roommates weren’t very reliable when it came to contributing to the rent.
                    Well, apparently those Wisconsin nurses started their new jobs today after a circuit court judge said they could, haha! It’s pure insanity anymore.

Hello to Cyn, hope you are OK.

Hello to Pauly & Det, Sam & Pie.

Haven a nice night all!
                    Lav
                    AF since 03/26/09
                    NF since 05/19/09

Comment

MAE ALL...

Short post for me tonight. The 3rd (booster) shot knocked the crap out of me. I had no reaction to the first 2 but by bedtime last night I could hardly move. Felt like I'd been hit by a train. Needless to say didn't get much sleep. The cable was out this morning so texted the childcare director to see if they were up and running. They're on a different provider so things were ok. Asked her what time the shops opened and she said not till 8am but that she had a stash of extra strength Tylenol. Popped in to pick up my "fix" and came home. It did help as I was able to get some sleep. Feeling much better now, no effects of the train but my arm is still slightly sore.

Sorry for not responding individually, will pick up again tomorrow Have a good night all....:smile:PPQP

Comment

Hello everyone and how are we today then? Hope all is well with everyone been working in the greenhouse finishing off the raised bed all I have to do know is clamp it down to the floor or, however this morning the battery on my drill run out so it's on recharge full stop went to the shops as well this morning and Aldi are starting to get their plants in. I bought 4 trays of primulas red pink yellow and purple 6 plants in each tray the plants work out at about 40 pence each I guess that's about 75 cents and they are pretty reasonable sized plants full stop very cold over here again today but dry

Hiya ppqp how are you feeling today then? Hope things are better for you. I remember when I had my booster it did me as well take your time look after yourself and get better but the main thing is you have a sore arm don't feel too great but you have lessons your chances immensely of catching the vir

Hiya lav how are you today then? Hope all is well with you. I am so glad you suggested Amy coming back home I'm just off to the phone now not! Talking about crazy have you heard the latest one? Someday has kicked off and wants to rename Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs because they feel it is an insult to small people so they are looking at naming It Snow White and the Mystical people what an absolute load of crap but hey ho we crack on and look after ourselves you take care have a great day

A big shout out to everyone else wherever you are16432073166015708636154168481080.jpg

16432074294314553449497315744268.jpg

Comment

Good evening friends,

We stopped at the mushroom grower for another 3 lb box of shrooms, soup soon, haha! Couldn’t help but notice they had just had a delivery of a huge amount of potting soil (or whatever it is they grow the mushrooms in). The bags were all labeled from Canada. That has to be a first. Until now the only gardening stuff that came from Canada was peat moss. No wonder we haven’t been able to find any potting soil for out greenhouse. Stupid pandemic.

PQ, sorry you had such a harsh reaction to the booster. These reactions seem to be completely random & you never know who is going to have it or when. Hope you’re much better today. Speaking of reactions, my BP has rallied so well I’m beginning to wonder if it’s time to start backing off one or two of these meds. I don’t even know if i can contact my NP since the practice she’s in was owned by the local hospital that closed down last month. Great, huh??

Mick, I’m so jealous of the plants!!!! I miss all the colors this time of year. Don’t put them out too soon!!!
                          You know dwarfism is pretty common in the Amish community. I’ve seen more small people out here than I’ve ever seen anywhere.

Cyn, hope you are well!
                          Pauly & Det, check in when you can.
                          Hi to Sam & Pie.

Have a nice night all!
                          Lav
                          Last edited by Lavande; January 26, 2022, 06:54 PM.
                          AF since 03/26/09
                          NF since 05/19/09

Comment

MAE ALL...

I couldn't believe how good I felt when I woke up this morning. What a difference. Arm sore to the touch but that's about it. Boss asked me today if I'd be willing to fill in for the program coordinator. Of course there would be an increase to your salary. I told him I wasn't comfortable sourcing new instructors and programs and he said no he's thinking some smaller events like learn to skate next winter for example. I'd just be responsible for the existing programs. And between him and me we could come up with some smaller ones. Sounds good to me.

Mick...the raised bet looks great, no wonder the battery gave up on the drill. Love the colours of the plants you got. Of course with having a greenhouse you can get them early. When do you think you'll be able to put them out?

Lav...glad to hear about the BP. Don't be too quick to stop the new meds. Remember the Covid, numbers come down, restrictions relaxed, numbers go up. I hope you can get in touch with your NP, you had a great relationship with her. The mushroom grower lucked out getting the soil in. With all the uproar over mandatory vaccinated drivers things could get scarce again. Enjoy the soup when you make it.

Shout out to the rest of the gang. Have a good night all....:smile:PPQP

Comment

Mae all,

Mick, congrats on all the gardening and on planning the trip... it sounds just fabulous! How sweet that both you and Julie thought of creative parts of the trip to please each other, wonderful. Fingal’s Cave was the impetus for a beautiful piece of music by Mendelssohn.. i’ll try to find a good recording for you.

PPQ, your boss is one lucky guy, and smart as well - so glad that he values you and trusts you... i agree with Mick - i hope a raise is in your future! And congrats on getting the booster - wonderful.

Lav, sorry about the impending storm - i hope it slides right in out over the Atlantic. We have been having very cold temps, but sunny days... i’ll take it! I am getting some cooking done... salmon and yams, etc. i need to be a little more adventuresome, but all in good time. I think a pork loin with veggies in the instapot will be the next pass.

Well, i had a rough start to the day... overwhelmed and sad... but i got myself together and this evening put together a table that i had ordered. It does double-duty as a desk and a table - it was a lot of work and figuring out (and 6 hinges with 6 screws each, sheesh.) but i stuck with it and now it is in my dining room/office... i think it will work well... i took pics of the process... i’ll try to post some.

Hello to Pauly and Det - would love to know how you both are doing... waves also to QW and Sam and all else dropping by...
                              Wishing all well -

Comment

Working...
                              X