Running in Ketosis, Zen Mind

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Today?s hard workout was an eye-opener for this gray-haired codger.

A bit of history first. Back when I was 24 or 25, I think I was AF for 2 or 3 months while attending summer school at my university. That was probably the best summer I ever had in my life. Although at the end of that summer, I broke, and started drinking and smoking again to beat the band.

I was running and working out at the university gym doing cross-training, struggling to become sober. I was in excellent shape, and was running 10K to 15K distances three to four times a week. I remember pressing 200 lbs., 20 times in a row. Ah, the power of youth.

Anyway, I read about breaking through the so-called wall when running, and I often did, and got the runners high. The ?second-wind? they called. I now believe, and I think it is supported by research, that this is the point where the body?s serum carbohydrates are exhausted, and fat burning begins.

So I have written here lately about doing the Atkins ketogenic diet. I have been in ketosis for a week now. The weight loss has been quite significant, and my scale indicates almost over 2% body fat loss in just this past week.

Today, I went on a hard run, in the evening heat, loaded with water. 2.5 miles in 34 minutes at an average pulse rate of 167! This is a hard run course, with many steep hill climbs, and taxes my condition quite well.

I could almost feel my body?s cells scraping the fat off my belly and arterial walls. Tingly, and a giddy sensation, that was exactly like I remember from the old days when I would break through the wall. Some really new state of Zen mind with the legs just moving beneath me in rhythm, and my eyes saw the Tennessee forest out here with new primordial perception. I could imagine my ancient ancestors, hungry and in ketosis, running down the prey with spears or whatever to get their meat.

Now, back home, in the cool air-conditioned living room, and surrounded by a plethora of electronic gadgets and entertainment devices. Modern coddled man I am. What a run it was today.

Neil

Hi Neil

I'm not a runner - just never could stand that pounding on my feet - but i do a lot of mountain biking so know what you mean about how good you feel after a great workout or a really long hilly ride. But I would caution you about ketosis. I teach Human Anatomy and Physiology, and although ketosis does indicate fat burning, it does not indicate healthy fat burning. It is a toxic state. Slower more prolonged fat burning is much better for the body, especially the kidneys. I am not an expert on ketosis and need to read up on it and I haven't read the book you talked about, but I would do some research if I were you before you get into too much of a ketotic state. I'll try to get some information and pass it along to you.

Glad you are enjoying your workouts and staying fit. Natural highs are a whole lot better than the kind that come in a bottle!!!!

Take care.
    Rest in Peace, Bear. We miss you.

Comment

Mags:

Not to worry. I am closely monitoring my level of ketosis via KetoStix.

The Atkins method does allow a small level of complex carbohydrates, and so far, I am have been staying at a moderate level of ketogenic metabolism. Lot's of water, and electrolyte minerals to maintain hydration. I can quickly check all my physical parameters using my own instrumentation and testing gauges. I like to know the numbers.

Feeling very good right now.

Neil

Comment

Hey Neil,

Congrats on your run. Glad Atkins is working well for you.

Hugs,
        Pans

Comment

well done Neil, and I love your alliteration: primordial perception

that would be a great name for a band.
          nosce te ipsum
          (Know Thyself)

Comment

Working...
          X