Help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help!

Help! I'm going out to dinner tonight.This is a major trigger for my wine drinking. Any suggestions for abstaining while out?

Thanks!

Help!

My 2 cents would be.......

- Even though it's for dinner, don't be starving, have a little something in your belly so you're not too hungry.

- Be hydrated.

-Take some extra kudu and l glut before you go, if you have it.

-Plan what you WILL drink. Cranberry and soda? Perrier with lime?

- Commit to posting here right before you go, and right after you come home. "bookending" it's called. We're part of your evening. We'll be here thinking of you and sending good vibes as you go, and look forward to hearing about your success when you get back. You can do it.

- Remember all the reasons you want to not drink. Think it through. How will you feel tomorrow morning if you drink vs. if you don't. For me- drinking is never as great as I think it's going to be. I've never felt it was "worth it", when I was working toward an AF goal here and I drank anyway. You deserve the best, the very very best. And that would be keeping your promise to yourself.

Interested to hear what others have to say. Oh, and read scared17's thread about last night if you haven't already. He was really nervous before his party last night and he totally made it!

Big hugs,
    wonder xx

Comment

Help!

Thanks Wonder. In the past I have planned what I was going to drink ahead of time and then totally caved when I got there. I'll take your advice about the supps, hydration and posting before and after (that will make me feel more accountable - I don't want to let you down!).

Thanks again for your reply.

Laura

Comment

Help!

This might be too late with the time difference, Laura....but another thing to do is to make a point of watching other people as they drink....see how they change, get silly, get loud, get embarrassing....that can have a sobering effect! And as soon as you're asked what you want to drink just spit out the words of a soft drink and don't think beyond that LOL :H

Good Luck.....wonder is right - report back here asap!

Suze x
        Just hand me the chocolate and.........I'll consider my position. My solicitor has advised me to say no more than that.

Comment

Help!

ditto to all - and make sure your belly is full - FOR SURE! I also take hard candy or lozenge with me and put it in my pocket. Sometimes being around drinking triggers my sugar craving (wine), so I pop one in my mouth. just a little trick...

MAKE SURE YOU PLAN EXACTLY WHAT YOU WILL DRINK AND HAVE A BACK UP DRINK IN CASE THEY DON'T HAVE THE FIRST CHOICE. I remember once on a business trip I planned to not drink. I got there and had planned to have a AF beer, they had to go look ofr one and it took forever. In the meantime my business colleague showed up and ordered a glass of wine, she siad they couldn't find one and I was flustered - so guess what.. I said "oh I'll just have what he's having" and off I went...

Man, it seems so simple, but just be really prepared!

Good luck!

MM
          Face your deficiencies and acknowledge them, but do not let them master you. Let them teach you patience, sweetness, insight.

Comment

Help!

WW, some very helpful suggestions. I will be sure and pocket this advice for my next dinner outing. Thanks. 99

Comment

Help!

Thanks Suze and MM. Yes, I think I'll order a soft drink immediately. I usually drink diet but for tonight I think I'll go for the real thing. Maybe it will help with the craving and I won't feel deprived. I have mixed emotions about sugar though. It helps momentarily with the craving but does it keep the craving cycle going? Will I want alcohol even more tomorrow for having a lot of sugar today? Hmmm.

Comment

Help!

Ha! Just read the thread about sugar --- interesting and lots of good info. I love you guys!

Comment

Help!

Well it is way past your dinner time, but wanted you to know I was rooting for you! I made it through a company party AF last night! Pre-planning and pre-eating is KEY> Taking extra supps helps too. I had extra l-glut and kudzu in my purse if needed, but it wasn't. I steered clear of the sweets, and focused on the veggies and protein. Let us know:h
                  Life itself is the proper binge. Julia Child

Comment

Help!

[QUOTE=cuckoosnest83;232601I will be sure and pocket this advice for my next dinner outing.
                    I need to put it in my own pocket!!!! I was just thinking about a big surprise birthday party (in a bar/restaraunt) that I'm going to next week. The first time I'll be around alcohol this time round. Sheesh. I am not "out of the weeds" at all!

wonderxx

Comment

Help!

Whew! I made it! Home safe at last. Went to Macaroni Grill and was facing the great wall of wine bottles. Luckily was distracted by the kids and games of hang man. It helped to order a non-alc. drink right away (rasp. ice tea - not too sweet). I was glad to get out of there though. Suze, I did see another mom drinking and was grateful I wasn't. Thanks to all of you and your support I made it through. Luv you all!

Laura

Comment

Help!

:goodjob: Laura Anne!!!

Yahoo!! You made it through a tough one with flying colors.

More importantly, you get to go to bed tonight and wake up tomorrow feeling really great about yourself and you DESERVE TO.

Congratulations!!

Cindi
                        AF April 9, 2016

Comment

Help!

Well done..............you can be proud of your self. Saying no to the first one is the hardest. Once you have done that I find the evening easier. Yes, looking at people drinking and getting drunk is an eye opener. Normally I get drunker faster than most people, So to be sober and look at them is sometimes entertaining - most times not!

Comment

Help!

Great job Laura Anne!
                            Marcie

Comment

Help!

Way to Go Laura Anne!!!

You're a champ! :boxer: :baaah:

Thanks for sharing the experience here, it helps me too. Have a great day......

Comment

Working...
                              X