Gastric bypass and alcohol abuse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A while back there was some talk about how some members had had gastric bypass and then had started their battle with AL, or noticed that that was when they started increased drinking. I don't know if this news article was ever posted but it seems to confirm the phenomenon.
    Thought this might be of interest to those of you who have experienced this.

I know I lurk much more than I post, but i do value you all, and draw strength for my sober times from reading your posts.

ABC News: After Gastric Bypass Surgery, Women Battle Alcoholism
    "uch: When you kick youreslf in the butt, all you get is a sore butt and a tired foot"

My Mom had gastric bypass. I do not see how you could possibly drink to intoxication. She couldn't eat more than a table spoon of food at a time. You will be deathly ill drinking. They call it "dumbing syndrome" happens if you eat or drink to much. You sweat, vomit...YOU ARE SICK!!!!!!

Comment

I know absolutely nothing about this. I don't even know what gastric bypass means. But I do think it was very nice of iowegian to post this. Very thoughtful.
      Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life... And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.

Steve Jobs, Stanford Commencement Adress, 2005

Comment

I DID NOT mean to offend!!!! PLEASE if I can help PMme!!!!!

Comment

I know there's someone on here who has mentioned this .. also don't know much about it. thanks Iowegian!
          :boxer: Get the hell out of my house, Al, you worthless bastard!!

Comment

Db2fromla said that when she had her gastric bypass her AL problem took off big time. I thought she might be interested in the article that's all. Anyone heard from heard from her lately? Apparently the carb craving from not eating can somehow be satisfied by alcohol. Read the article and judge for yourself. I don't know much about it either, but found the article on the SMART recovery website and posted it here for general info, in case it would help anyone.
            BTW, this is day 3 AF for this drunken old codger, and for a Saturday, that's not too bad. I feel good, too. The librium helps.
            Going to bed sober tonight, and looking to a hangover free Sunday. As for the stupor bowl, well I've never been a football fan, so I'll probably just play some guitar and hang with the wife.
            Later,
            Morgan
            "uch: When you kick youreslf in the butt, all you get is a sore butt and a tired foot"

Comment

I believe it was Cindi that said that. If I misquoted, I'm sorry, but I KNOW someone did.

Comment

I think it is a useful post, Iowegian. I know someone who had gastric bypass and just ate more frequently, and gained back half of what she lost. I think that the article makes a lot of sense.
                AF as of August 5th, 2012

Comment

Although it wasn't me who originally said something about gastric bypass and AL addiction I can share some of my own experience. I had gastric bypass surgery about 4.5 yrs ago and lost approx 160 lbs. For me overdoing AL was not new after the bypass as I was doing it before also. The only thing that changed was that AL hits my blood stream much faster now. I have a really good buzz after one drink, the problem is that if I want to keep it I have to keep drinking because it leaves my blood stream pretty quickly also. And yes you can drink alot of alcohol after this surgery even tho we have much smaller tummies because after time the tummy does stretch out some and more food and liquids can be taken in, not as much as before tho.

thank you for posting this article it was very interesting reading and they are becoming more and more aware that post gastric bypass people are becoming alcoholics - they call it a transfer addiction. We can no longer depend on food to feed us emotionally so we turn to the bottle.

Hope that helped some -

thanks

Pbear
                  when you fail at something is when you learn and grow the most

Comment

It has been noted on in medical articles and on television shows that a lot of people who have gastric bypass end up abusing alcohol.

It is like giving up one addiction (food) for another. The problem is, the emotional issues weren't dealt with before the procedure.

I saw this on 20/20 quite a while back.

AND... it could be the same for the alcoholic - substituting food for booze.

Bottom line it is if the underlying factors are not addressed, it can manifest into something else.

Comment

i found this article extremely informative. not only the part about people becoming addicted to alcohol, but also the food addiction. I think my mother has this problem, she is 5'-1 and weighs 200lbs. her weight is causing her problems with her legs, she can't walk for long distances.
                      she has a food addiction for sure she was shocked that I didn't have and cookies or chips or soda in my house. this worries me since she is very healthy and youthful otherwise.

Trix
                      You can't turn a pickle into a cucumber

Comment

Working...
                      X