could do with a beer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

could do with a beer

does anyone now a way to trick there minds or distract them so you dont get a beer second day af
    cheers steve

could do with a beer

Steve, hi. The best way I've found to cut my cravings for beer is drink a non-alcohol one. I've always said that I'm not an alcoholic, but I'm a beeraholic. Beer is my down fall and any other booze could sit for years and I wouldn't touch it with any craving so to speak.

There are lots of different non-alcohol types out there so you may have to try a couple before you find one you like. Don't give up simply because you don't like a few. I would be interested to know how this works out for you if you decide to try this route.

Congrats on day 2! Good luck.

Love, Me
    :l
    Alcohol is simply the device between success and failure.

Comment

could do with a beer

Steve, are you bored, hungry, tired, lonely? What are the emotions you are feeling? What other activites can you do instead? Are you not WANTING to do something, depressed, angry, besides the HABIT of it, what else could be going on?:sup:

Comment

could do with a beer

Steveg....there is no trick. It's sheer strength and willpower. You have to make a vow to yourself that you will not drink...no matter what. Make it a challenge. Don't allow having a beer to be an option. It's not an option. This is day 2 and yes, it can be tough, but you have to get through it to succeed.

It's all in your frame of mind. You don't drink anymore, so don't allow The Beast to put that on the table. That's all he wants to do is to get you to think that having a beer IS an option. You must be proactive and aggressive in wanting to get through the first few days.

I also don't agree with drinking AF beer at first. I think you should go at least 90 days AF before you drink an AF beer. Part of the process of quitting drinking is quitting drinking. Even though you are drinking AF beer (which does have some alcohol), you are still going through the motions of drinking, and that's what you want to change....the habit...the ritual of opening the bottle and drinking it. I think it's much better to make a committment to not drink, AF beer included, until you are well on your way to living AF. I know of some who drank AF beer from the start and found themselves drinking 8-12 AF beers a sitting, and they just got frustrated and started drinking regular beer again. They had never stopped the "ritual" of drinking.

You can do this. It's a mindset. Be brutal with The Beast. Stay in control......don't chase The Beast.....let him be worried about you being on guard...

Don

Comment

could do with a beer

Chief, I agree with you on certain points. The habit of simply wanting to drink is going to be there whether you choose to try NA beer or not. In my experience, I really just like the taste of beer. I found that having this bit of a cruch for me has worked because I got the taste of beer w/o the side effects of the alcohol deciding how much more I would have. I don't drink 10 - 15 na beers 3-4 times a week like I used to w/real beer. A 12 pack of NA beer lasts me about two weeks. I really study what makes me reach for one too. Did I really want the beer flavor, or was it a dangerous trigger that I need to be aware of? Trust me, I'm putting the work in. For me it's better to reach for a NA beer than wait til the craving for it is so severe that I blow the whole AF thing. I'm around beer 24/7. So I have to do what works for me. To each their own.

I can not afford all the supps, I have no book or Cds. I have no ins so there are no meds and I can't go to a counslor. Been AF only because of you wonderful people and the non-alcohol beer. I guess it can't work that easy for everyone. It was just a suggestion for him to try because it can work as long as people put in the additional work of why they abuse alcohol in the first place. Perhaps I should have mentioned that as well.

Love, Me

Comment

could do with a beer

Hi Thankful. Hi Chief.

I WANT A BEER, right now, dammit!!! It is pouring rain, and there are tornado warnings, so my kids are in the house (no basements here in FL)....
            my 12 year old is PRACTICING his music.... frickin' drumssssss ~~~~~aghgghhhhhhh!!!:rockband: Miss October!!! Can you feel my pain?

To AF or not to AF. :teeter: I have both in my fridge. I will be a good girl and grab an AF one tonight~ I like the taste, too, and they are more filling (18 carbs versus 3 for Miller Lite?).... therefore, one AF beer = 6 Miller lites in my tummy.

Chief, you have awesome self discipline- you and Satori seemed to make up your minds, and WHAM. Case closed. I admire your resolve, and maybe someday, I'll be there. I might stab every drum head before I get there.... but I'll get there!

Take care~

Patty
            Tampa, FL

Comment

could do with a beer

Stevo...
              What could you do with a beer........you know the answer to that! Get in trouble. Hang in thier we'ree to help. Good Luck ! IAD
              ?Be who you are and say what you feel because
              those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.?
              Dr. Seuss

Comment

could do with a beer

Chief;271267 wrote: Steveg....there is no trick. It's sheer strength and willpower. You have to make a vow to yourself that you will not drink...no matter what. Make it a challenge. Don't allow having a beer to be an option. It's not an option. This is day 2 and yes, it can be tough, but you have to get through it to succeed.

It's all in your frame of mind. You don't drink anymore, so don't allow The Beast to put that on the table. That's all he wants to do is to get you to think that having a beer IS an option. You must be proactive and aggressive in wanting to get through the first few days.

I also don't agree with drinking AF beer at first. I think you should go at least 90 days AF before you drink an AF beer. Part of the process of quitting drinking is quitting drinking. Even though you are drinking AF beer (which does have some alcohol), you are still going through the motions of drinking, and that's what you want to change....the habit...the ritual of opening the bottle and drinking it. I think it's much better to make a committment to not drink, AF beer included, until you are well on your way to living AF. I know of some who drank AF beer from the start and found themselves drinking 8-12 AF beers a sitting, and they just got frustrated and started drinking regular beer again. They had never stopped the "ritual" of drinking.

You can do this. It's a mindset. Be brutal with The Beast. Stay in control......don't chase The Beast.....let him be worried about you being on guard...

Don
                thank you you have empowered me i know you are correct i will break the habbit you are so true i must break the habbit of drinking beer full stop
                cheers steveg

Comment

could do with a beer

Thankful;271313 wrote: Chief, I agree with you on certain points. The habit of simply wanting to drink is going to be there whether you choose to try NA beer or not. In my experience, I really just like the taste of beer. I found that having this bit of a cruch for me has worked because I got the taste of beer w/o the side effects of the alcohol deciding how much more I would have. I don't drink 10 - 15 na beers 3-4 times a week like I used to w/real beer. A 12 pack of NA beer lasts me about two weeks. I really study what makes me reach for one too. Did I really want the beer flavor, or was it a dangerous trigger that I need to be aware of? Trust me, I'm putting the work in. For me it's better to reach for a NA beer than wait til the craving for it is so severe that I blow the whole AF thing. I'm around beer 24/7. So I have to do what works for me. To each their own.

I can not afford all the supps, I have no book or Cds. I have no ins so there are no meds and I can't go to a counslor. Been AF only because of you wonderful people and the non-alcohol beer. I guess it can't work that easy for everyone. It was just a suggestion for him to try because it can work as long as people put in the additional work of why they abuse alcohol in the first place. Perhaps I should have mentioned that as well.

Love, Me
                  thank you for your sugestion will buy some af just in case but i think i will break the habbit first chief is correct for my personality and i am getting a good understanding of drinking on this site well done to you for your success with the drink i will soeak to you again cheers steveg

Comment

could do with a beer

steveg;271206 wrote: does anyone now a way to trick there minds or distract them so you dont get a beer second day af
                    cheers steve

do you think you are an alcoholic? see if you can GO without any beer for 30 days. If it is difficult, than you (could) have a problem.

trick your brain
                    ??? there is NO trick but to STOP giving it what it is crying for.

~ripple~
                    :welcome:

Comment

could do with a beer

Not Happy Hour-Happy Life;271357 wrote: Chief, you have awesome self discipline- you and Satori seemed to make up your minds, and WHAM. Case closed. I admire your resolve, and maybe someday, I'll be there.

Take care~
                      Not,

In my case - I did struggle - greatly - until it finally dawned on me that I REALLY TRULY didn't want to live the rest of my life in a numbed out haze as a slave to this addiction.

After about 15 days AF - I realised the total FREEDOM of being AF compared to trying to moderate.

After that - it was easy - because I was being AF because I WANTED to be AF - with all the amazing freedom from stress, guilt, hangovers etc that being AF brings, rather than just keep on letting this addiction rob me of living a real fulfilling life.
                      I get more of a buzz from LIFE these days than I ever got with drink - all without the hangover!

I have got a new life going here. I no longer am shackled to the same old behaviours.
                      I can do almost ANYTHING I chose, whenever I chose now.
                      Before, I had to be stuck at home in the evenings in order to drink - or I couldn't drive anytime i wanted because I had been drinking, I couldn't go certain places because there was no drink available. I couldn't do the things I used to love (making guitars for example - because you need a clear head to plan / measure stuff out and especially to use power tools.)

It was when I finally realised I was AF because I WANTED to be - rather than because it was something I thought I SHOULD do, that it became relatively easy.

Don't get me wrong - I still am addicted to alcohol - and I still get occasional cravings - but - I know right down to the centre of my being that AF is the way I want / need to be.
                      Anything else is a WASTE of the precious time we have here on this amazing planet.

This weekend, with a friend, I plan to climb one of the most beautiful, technically challenging mountain ridges in Scotland (especially as it is under snow and ice right now!), and feel the ice crunching under my feet and smell the fresh clean mountain air.
                      These trips are almost a spiritual experience for me.

A year ago- I would have probably spent the weekend drunk / hungover - again - watching mind blowingly boring cr*p on tv.

Think about it folks - what would you chose to do if you were not stuck in the same old repetitive behaviours dictated by your addiction?

An addiction you CAN take control over!

Love :h

satori

xxx
                      "Though there are many paths at the foot of the mountain - all those who reach the top see the same moon - as any fule kno"

Comment

could do with a beer

Steve, that's the beauty of this site. You'll find a way that works for you. I'm glad you have set some sort of plan out for yourself. All we can do to help each other is make suggestions and share ideas and experiences. We are all different but our goals are the same.

Best of luck to you. Post often and read a lot. We are here for you.

Love, Me

Comment

could do with a beer

Satori,

I agree, what do we want?

I am so happy you and Chief have found that "place" that says, "the drunk is not worth the effect."

However, I am NOT sure I want to be hanging on a cliff of ice crunching under my toes...

:H :H

I, would, however, love to be learning how to dance, skiiing with Mags and/or my husband and driving around my beautiful country. (Too bad I have to work but hey at least I can work because I am not drunk every day!!!)

I hope you enjoy your climb, btw. Take pics and send.

Love,
                          Cindi
                          AF April 9, 2016

Comment

could do with a beer

Cindi,

If the weather holds up, and we get to go on the trip, I will take some pics and post - just for you!

High pressure and fine weather here just now - but it may not last until Saturday :upset: .

So - you don't have to go climbing yourself if you don't fancy the icy cliffy things - but DO all the things you want to - we are only here for a relatively short time - and I for one have wasted TOO much of it!

Love :h

Satori

xxx
                            "Though there are many paths at the foot of the mountain - all those who reach the top see the same moon - as any fule kno"

Comment

could do with a beer

Satori,

Hope you don't get weary of hearing what an inspiration you are. I wish I had your sense of freedom. Here I am day 13 AF (I had a previous stint of 3.5 years AF) and still don't quite feel free. Yes, I still have cravings....or should I say, urges to "bolt." Bolt from my outwardly charmed life. I have a full time job, am married with a school-aged child, and live in a beautiful area of the country. We never go out, so I'm rarely tempted by social situations....by the time I get home from work, there's just enough time to get dinner on the table, help my child with homework, and get through the rest of the nightly rituals. My husband has a physical condition which feels like a ticking time bomb sometimes. Seems I don't feel passion for anything these days. And while I certainly feel better physically being AF, I feel an underlying current of boredom. Or could it be laziness....? Anyway, enough of my blather. I've come to realise that nothing is going to happen unless I make it happen. Looking forward to hearing about your mountain climbing adventure -
                              ~K.

Comment

Working...
                              X