No announcement yet.

You know you're an alcoholic when...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: You know you're an alcoholic when...

You know you're an alcoholic when: Even after the best part of seven years happily sober, the stuff can still raise it's ugly head and bring you undone again.
    We can never go back.
    If your 8 year old self met you, would they be proud?
    Rejoined life 20/5/19

Comment

When you are so single minded that you think the inventor of screw top bottle should be canonized ........... :wings:
      ( major discussion on methods of getting a cork out of a bottle on Army thread earlier this week )

Ohhh the calories we wasted on that little exercise .... :haha:

Comment

:newhere:
        You know you're an alcoholic when you watch your younger brother die at the age of 43 from alcoholic liver disease but carry on chugging back the vodka like it's an olympic event and have a quick check in the mirror every morning to see if you've starting turning yellow yet.
        Just been reading up on baclofen and put in an order today - feeling hopeful and glad to have found this group :happy2:

Comment

Originally posted by SoozyQ View Post
          :newhere:
          You know you're an alcoholic when you watch your younger brother die at the age of 43 from alcoholic liver disease but carry on chugging back the vodka like it's an olympic event and have a quick check in the mirror every morning to see if you've starting turning yellow yet.
          Just been reading up on baclofen and put in an order today - feeling hopeful and glad to have found this group :happy2:
          Glad you found this group too.:welcome:
          "Only I can change my life. No one can do it for me.".....Carol Burnett
          AF - 7-27-15

Comment

You know you're an alcoholic when you're out to dinner and the best part of the menu is the wine/beer list. Finding the strongest drink and downing them quickly in order to get a good buzz on before the food arrived. I used to love when the service was slow!

Comment

Hi Snoozy and welcome.

Sadly my brother died at 46 from alcohol and i thought i wasnt that bad, oh i was that bad.

Head over to the https://www.mywayout.org/community/j...bies-nest.html (hopefully that worked) and say hello. Its a nice place to settle into until you find your feet on here.
              AF free 1st December 2013 - 1st December 2022 - 9 years of freedom

Comment

When you fall and your mom can't lift you and it takes 2 men to get you up. Swear off drinking only to drink again the next weekend and mom being disappointed in me.
                I quit drinking on March 8, 2020. Taking it One Day At A Time and no more taking my quit for granted.

Also doing it for me. I got to stay sober for me.

Just consecrate on today and do what you can to remain sober for today and worry about staying sober tomorrow, tomorrow.

Comment

Originally posted by DriftyAlison0 View Post
                  When you nearly convince yourself to pee in the trash can for no reason.

When you take off your shirt to clean up a spill while live on a webcam.
                  I did not remember the shirt incident until now. I no longer will be on cam drunk again.

Oh when you fall over a dog and break your foot. Yeap told everyone that I broke it in a bowling accident. Truth was I was wasted and fell on the dog and did not know that I broke my foot until after work that Monday. I did not feel the pain until the next day. The doctor was closed and did not want to pay the 100 dollar copay to the er for what I thought was a sprained foot. Went through work that Monday because we were short since someone had quit recently and a replacement was not found. After work I went to the doctor and discovered that it was broken. They were amazed that I came in with a tennis shoe on.

4 weeks later once I am off the pain meds (had to cut my drinking down while I was on pain meds) got wasted again and blacked out. Woke up to my friend who is a cna for a group home giving me a bath and I struggled to get out of their tub. They even considered calling my mom but at the last second I managed to do it. I slept in their clothes while they washed mine and I slept over. I did not tell my mom that I was drinking again until 5 months later. I kept my drinking to what I considered a way better pace. Never got that drunk again until Leap Day this year.

So glad to be done with AL for good. Its a sad day/night when a friend has to see you naked.
                  Last edited by DriftyAlison0; March 11, 2020, 09:33 PM.
                  I quit drinking on March 8, 2020. Taking it One Day At A Time and no more taking my quit for granted.

Just consecrate on today and do what you can to remain sober for today and worry about staying sober tomorrow, tomorrow.

Comment

You know that you have a problem when you look back at these threads and cringe at your stupid stunts. This is a big reminder for myself and for others on why we no longer drink. Heck my mom does not know about half of the drunken stuff that I had done.

If she knew she would be so mad at me. Glad to not have to worry about going home drunk again.

Comment

When you go to your 5yo kid's parents' evening, and the teacher laughingly says, 'I asked the kids if they could think of a word that started with a "je" sound, and [laugh of laughs] __________ said "gin'n'tonic" '

Ho, ho, ho.

We all laughed.

Actually I pissed myself laughing, and you really know you're an alcoholic when you're slightly proud of that. That's my girl! Right there! Daddy's little princess!
                      Last edited by georgesmiley; September 22, 2020, 12:12 PM.

Comment

When after 7 successful years of sobriety throw it all away with one drink thinking that you could have one and leave it only to fight it again just like it was the last time that you drank and 3 weeks later you end up drunk for the first time in 7 years and it takes you another 2 and a half years to quit again after doing some dumb stuff.

I lost a few quits during this period and then there was a period where I was too ashamed to even come here. My 2 year anniversary is coming up and I am rereading this to keep me inspired to keep going. Loving this sober life.

Comment

I dunno if I posted this already.

But you know that your an alcoholic when you mom wants to go to the movies that night but it intereveres with your drinking and so you convice her to do it Sunday afternoon instead.

Comment

Originally posted by DriftyAlison0 View Post
                            But you know that your an alcoholic when you mom wants to go to the movies that night but it intereveres with your drinking and so you convice her to do it Sunday afternoon instead.
                            Yup, I hear ya. I'd always try to convince friends to go to early shows, so I didn't have to wait until 11m to start drinking. The sad thing is some nights I didn't even feel like drinking but I had to, to prevent the WD's; so it' be get home at 9-10pm, drink 8 drinks in an hour and half, to bed, and then work the next day.

I'll add my own as well: you know you're an alcholic when you're looking up drink menus and pre-calculating the amount you can drink (combined with some mini bottles on the sly of course), because changing your daily drinking amount will bring on WD symptoms (either too much or too little). And that's a reminder that I don't ever want to go back there.

Comment

Working...
                            X