This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tool box

mahalferty, that's a very effective image! It resembles the imagery often used in the "Rational Recovery" program (and by many here at MWO) in which we label our alcoholic urges (or "alcohol seeking device") as "The Beast."

Welcome to MWO! I hope you will post more; look around, there are some good daily threads you would be welcome to join. Getting to know people, getting and giving support, are key parts of this recovery program.

wip

Comment

Tool box

WIP,

Thank you for the encouragement. I will look up Rational Recovery. Today and this weekend I'll hold on to the words from Ghandi in your signature line. Happy American Thanksgiving

Comment

Tool box

:important::important:Trust God, Clean House (that is, making amends for all my drinking stuff-ups), Help Others *)
        *Serenity is the calm WITHIN the storm*

Comment

Tool box

this is so helpful.... re.
          it really helps to be reminded about how difficult the holidays can be especially for people who are at the beginning of their recovery.
          and to be aware of the fact that just because i stopped drinking doesn't mean that my problem has gone away. it clearly has not.

Comment

Tool box

Thanks WIP for telling me to come here. I particularly like one2many post and will try to print that out. Somehow. I like the philosophy. It really is a battle and one that I will try to overcome, I know I have got to work really hard. Now you all know how bad it gets, this nice woman turns into a bloody lunatic!!!!! Pure drink, nothing more. Was dreading Christmas. You know the situation. You sit down for lunch, the wine is brought to the table, you are then in a battle. Just the one does hurt me, cos that triggers me drinking more. By the end, Christmas is a ruined day and just a blur to me. So I panic before I even get there. I go out for lunch and I cannot tell them not to bring wine, but I can regulate myself. I have drank myself silly this weekend. Do I feel better for it? Do I heckers like! I feel crap, dirty and just yuk. So now another dimension to this wonderful website. In order to overcome the devil you must find his weakness.:thanks:

Comment

Tool box

I love this thread & come to it regularly when I need a boost or have had some AL thoughts. Today, I thought very briefly about AL & realized it was hunger I was feeling. As soon as I ate lunch & had a cup of tea, I was fine. I must, must, must remember to take some time to chill out & do something (eat, make a phone call, etc.) right after I have an AL thought. I won't act on it if I do that. The urge passes as if it was never even there. Mary
              Wisdom, Courage, Strength
              October 3, 2012

Comment

Tool box

I think that, for me, I must keep foremost in my mind that I have a serious drinking problem. I have not been nor can I ever be a normal drinker. Therefore, it's imperative that I come here to MWO regularly (for me every day) in order to share the common struggle of giving up AL. This community is essential in my growth as a very newly sober person.

Sometimes (not on this forum), I have read posts written by people who say they need a break from MWO, because all they think about is their alcohol problem if they come here every day. I need to think about my alcoholism every day. If I don't, I begin to think I can have "just one." Or that I "deserve a reward." I need daily reminders (at this point at least) that I have a serious drinking problem that I must deal with on a daily basis.

Admitting that doesn't take the fun out of life. It puts my life back into my own hands. I can't imagine what I would do wo/all of you out there. You are my special friends. Those are not empty words. My eyes were not opened about myself until I joined MWO in Apr. 07.

Thank you everyone.

Mary
                October 3, 2012

Comment

Tool box

Hello all,

I am just getting started for the second time (on day 8 AF). This thread is absolutely incredible!!! It is filled with such inspirational and PRACTICAL information for someone just starting out. I'm wondering if there is anyway to direct those who are just starting out to this thread right off the bat. It would be a great read for those like me to develop plans for social events, learn about HALT, Urge Surfing, etc. All of this is awesome info.

Thanks for taking the time to share your valuable insight.

HUGS!!!!!
                  Bridget

" little by little, we travel far "
                  - Tolkein

Comment

Tool box

I had posted this in Just Starting Out but I think it is better here!

My 5 prong plan of attack:

1) Use Abstinence Hypnosis CD?s every day, as directed. I have copied the Subliminal CD to my computer and play it in the background on repeat while working. Love the ocean waves, very relaxing.

2) Read and reread Allen Carr?s book, The Easy Way to Stop Drinking. This book has been critical for me to be able to control the mental aspects of alcohol addiction and keep a happy state of mind. (I used his The Easy Way to Stop Smoking 18 months ago and have never wanted another cigarette so I know he is on to something!) You can find both books on Amazon.com.

3) Meditate. I like guided meditation CD?s, my favorites are by Bodhipaksa, one is Guided Meditations: For Calmness, Awareness, and Love
                    and the other is Guided Meditations for Stress Reduction.
                    You can find both of these on Amazon.com.

4) Use MWO Supplements as follows:

Breakfast:
                    1 Tbs All-One Original (blend with ? banana, ? Cup Organic Lowfat Yogurt, ? C fruit juice and ice to make a smoothie)
                    3 Kudzu Rescue 300mg tabs (900mg)
                    1 L-Glutamine 1000 mg tab
                    1 True Calm Amino Acid Blend
                    1 Evening Primrose (1300 mg)
                    1 Milk Thistle
                    1 1000mg Salmon Oil
                    [1 Calmes Forte if Needed]

Lunch:
                    1 1000mg Salmon Oil
                    1 Milk Thistle
                    1 Magnesium

Dinner:
                    1 Evening Primrose (1300 mg)
                    1 1000mg Salmon Oil
                    1 Milk Thistle
                    1 Magnesium

Bedtime:
                    2-3 Calmes Forte

Note: I added the "All One " and "True Calm" a week after starting, that stuff is like a happy pill! Give it a try!

5) Post the following on bulletin board in front of my computer and read every day:

I AM A HAPPY NON-DRINKER

I AM SO HAPPY AND GRATEFUL TO BE FREE! I HAVE
                    ESCAPED THE ALCOHOL TRAP!

IT IS MARVELOUS TO BE A NON-DRINKER, HEALTHY,
                    HAPPY AND FREE!

I AM ENJOYING RIDDING MY BODY OF TOXINS AND MY MIND OF BRAINWASHING AND SLAVERY TO ALCOHOL.

MY HAPPINESS IS NOT DEPENDENT ON A POISONOUS CHEMICAL DEPRESSANT!

I WILL ENJOY THE REST OF MY LIFE WITHOUT EVER NEEDING OR WANTING ALCOHOL.

I DRANK MY LAST ALCOHOLIC DRINK ON DECEMBER 14, 2008 AND WILL NEVER DRINK ALCOHOL AGAIN.

THANK YOU LORD FOR YOUR CONTINUED
                    HELP AND GUIDANCE!

Happy Holidays and Stay Strong!

Love,

Doodlebug
                    :sun::heart::h:heart:

"My Happiness is Not Dependent on a Poisonous Chemical Depressant."

Comment

Tool box

Ms. Doodle: Thank you so much for your input to this thread. Love, Mary
                      October 3, 2012

Comment

Tool box

http://www.e-t-c.me.uk/pdf/Artricle%...al%20Power.pdf
                        :l
                        LTG AF January 13, 2011

Comment

Tool box

This is a good read that has been recommended for the toolbox
                          http://www.e-t-c.me.uk/pdf/Artricle%...al%20Power.pdf
                          To Infinity And Beyond!!

Comment

Tool box

I loved the article. It stated that we create our lives with our thinking patterns. Attitude is everything and we are responsible for out thoughts. It was beautiful and eloquent. I believe we do have the answers in ourselves. We know that our drinking is killing us mentally, emotionally, physically and spiritually and we realize that we are the change we need. Change our thinking and our attitudes - change our lives.
                            Redhibiscus

Comment

Tool box

I just read & printed out the article on happiness & personal power mentioned by previous posters. It was wonderful. I also loved what AAthlete once said about happiness (I paraphrase):

Happiness is what you get when you're doing the next right thing.

It's something like that anyhow. AAthlete, if you read this & can remember the exact quote, please correct me.

Thanks so much for the article.

Mary
                              October 3, 2012

Comment

Tool box

Mary, I think that your paraphrase captures the meaning just fine!
                                Sobriety Date: June 15, 2007 -- "It's not having what you want, It's wanting what you've got...."

Comment

Working...
                                X